Cruiser build for the ADK and Green mtns (NY and VT) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting this thread to document work on my 1985 fj60. I’ll try to update summary type info in the main post as I go, and add progress detail in replies to the thread. I DIY as much as possible because I enjoy the process (mostly) and to keep costs reasonable, so I’ll try to share details as I do more with it in the future.

I generally take the cruiser around the Adirondacks mtns region in NY (we live a bit north of Saratoga so this is part of our big backyard) and the Green Mountain National Forest region of VT (where we have a little lake camp and some family nearby) in the non-winter months for mtn biking, camping, fishing and other outdoor activities with my family of 5 + 2 dogs. Our current daily and winter drivers are a 2016 4Runner Trail and 2018 Sequoia.

My buddy bought this 60 from Cali in 2017 and brought it to NY. I got it from him early in 2020 right before Covid, when his attention moved on to a classic Bronco and the 60 was just costing him money sitting in a storage unit. He shared receipts for a not insignificant amount of repair and maintenance work he had done when he got it to NY, including braking, cooling system, wheel bearings and some other things I forget right now.

General details:
1985 FJ60 (10/85 build)
-Approx 216k miles
-Original/Stock engine and drivetrain
-Resided in Cali (northern?) from new until 2017, and it’s been in NY from 2017 until now

Mods or changes of significance that I’ve done:
-Full suspension upgraded from beat stock setup, now running Dobinsons springs, Bilstein shocks (plus new shackles, bushings, steering damper, etc.)
-Early style ARB front winch bumper obtained and installed (also have the protection steps that connect to it, but have yet to install - undecided if I will)
-33x10.5r15 General Grabber X3 on 15x8 Eagle alloys 058 wheels painted industrial gray along with matching spare (replaced 31” Duratracs on 15x8 black steel wagon wheels)
-OE headlight and harness upgrade from Toyota - I couldn’t stand the ugly blue HID kit with garbage lenses that were on it when it came to NY. The style was wrong and they were blinding to others so replacing them was one of the first things on my list
-OEM FJ62 chrome manual mirrors (fall 2023)
-Smittybilt console (Jan 2024)

Pre-existing “mods” for me to contend with:

-Some kinda stereo system with an amp and a large sub in the rear. I’ve never cared to upgrade the stereo in any of my cars, though I admit, I do enjoy this one at times. However based on what I find, it should all be redone as some corners were cut on the install
-carbon fiber vinyl all over the place. I’ve removed a lot but still find a few bits here and there. I can feel the reduction in horsepower with each piece I remove. Mirrors, trim inside and out, leading edge of the hood, oh my…

What’s to come?
-prep and install h55f and spare 38mm transfer case with all the extras I could think of “while I’m in there” (TC full rebuild with all new seals/gaskets, bearings, fill/drain plug upgrade, TC breather pipe conversion, Sumo 10% high range underdrive gears, clutch & TO bearing, oil pan gasket, shifter assembly, rear main seal, probably other things) (in progress)
-tie rod end replacement (soon - not started)
-knuckle rebuild (not started)
-front seat swap to Recaro seats (in progress)
-add headrests to rear bench and swap in new 3 pt belts from seatbelt planet (poking around with a dental pick I found the upper anchor in the pillars); clean up interior a bit more with new carpet (not started)
-rust and paint control/repair, mainly bottom of front doors, leading edge of hood, front valence (not started)

What I am currently considering for future upgrades:

-Holley Sniper setup
-driving lights
-winch

For now a few pics:
EE28B5C0-1D77-44EF-941C-8151D8CF2211.jpeg

4EAB6410-7704-43FF-BD7A-5AFAA278DE6F.jpeg

794D719A-4418-4440-B646-3C29186B88E0.jpeg

Last summer on the 31” setup before moving to 33” (the trailer is a concurrent project; a post WWII Ben-Hur civilian trailer setup for basecamp use)
23E9CDE0-D598-42CF-AC45-D7242D925B6F.jpeg

83B099DA-9E63-4BDC-89CA-C1CBA1F1B257.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome to see someone else on here from the area, actually bought my 60 not far from you. Seats were a great choice!

Awesome to see someone else on here from the area, actually bought my 60 not far from you. Seats were a great choice!
Very cool to see another 60 in the area! I only know of a humdrum, though I’m sure some others are lurking.

I’m lovin the seats. They feel more like the “hug” I became accustomed to with Recaros in the cars I used to play with. Though they’re pretty sturdy, to keep from flattening the door side of the seats I probably should install the ARB steps I’ve had sitting around. For now I hold the wheel and hop in so I don’t smash em 😂

I spent summers just outside of Corinth as a kid, southern part of the dacks. Following this.

New Smittybilt console install work done today. Needs a little work to finish the lock assembly, but close enough to share now as it won’t change visually.

More install details in response to another thread here.

IMG_4357.jpeg

New Smittybilt console install work done today. Needs a little work to finish the lock assembly, but close enough to share now as it won’t change visually.

More install details in response to another thread here.

Looks great. What seats are those? More specifically, which car did you get those recaros out of?

They’re from an Isuzu Trooper Irmscher/Bighorn, which I don’t believe were ever sold in the US. I had them shipped from the UK. Basically a Recaro LX-A model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom