CRUISE MOAB 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruise Moab registration is now open! Go to the cruisemoab.com web site to register!

This year's event will be from Tuesday, April 28th through Sunday May 3rd. Our headquarters will be at the lot just south of and adjacent to Slickrock Campground again. You do not have to stay at Slickrock Campground if you don't want to, it is just the epicenter of the event. The schedule will be the same as the last couple of years with the overnight runs:

Tuesday - Kokopelli Run Starts (3 Days 2 Nights - limit 14 rigs!)
Wednesday - San Rafael Swell Run Starts (2 days 1 night - limit 20 rigs), Registration, Safety Inspection, Vehicle Recovery Demonstration, Hell’s Revenge Night Run!!!
Thursday - Guided Trail Runs, Vendor Night
Friday - Guided Trail Runs, Dinner, Raffle
Saturday - Guided Trail Runs
Sunday - Clean up and go home

We are keeping registration the same as it has been for the past two years: $175 + BLM fees, which are a straight pass-through. We are also passing through the $25/registrant food costs for the overnight runs. Remember, Rising Sun doesn't make a dime on Cruise Moab. We donate 100% of the proceeds to land use and to improving the event.

Be advised that you must be a current TLCA member to register. We could not have this event without our affordable TLCA insurance, it is a TLCA sanctioned event and therefore you must be a TLCA member. It's only $35.

Scott Yoder and I are the co-chairing the committee this year. I am doing trail assignments and registration again this year. If you have any questions, please contact Scott or me at the emails above. Please do not PM me here with questions about Cruise Moab. Feel free to join the Rising Sun forum on the Cruise Moab thread.

Here are some changes from prior years:
(1) We are dropping Pritchett Canyon due to waning interest.
(2) We are dropping Chicken Corner due to waning interest.
(3) We are adding the Pickle (difficult)
(4) We are adding Jax Trax (Moderate)
(5) The Wednesday night run is changing from Fins & Things to Hell’s Revenge due to complaints from the two campsites in the Sand Flats recreation area that Fins passes through.
(6) Attendance of the Wednesday evening driver’s meeting is MANDITORY even if you are a Cruise Moab veteran! We have important new information to disseminate regarding our BLM stipulations, and as part of our permitting, they are requiring us to have each and every driver informed and acknowledge that they have received this new information.

Trail Sponsors to date:
Red Line Land Cruisers (Justin Robbins) – Behind the Rocks (Thursday)
Cruiser Outfitters (Kurt Williams) - San Rafael Swell (Wednesday)
Outdoorx4 Magazine (Stan Wright) - Kokopelli Trail (Tuesday)
Just Differentials (Carl Montoya) - Porcupine Rim - (Friday)
Outer Limit Supply (Travis Hurley) – Cliffhanger – (Saturday)
Slee Off Road (Christo Slee) - Hell's Revenge - (Friday)
Gamiviti - (Tim Nakari) - Wipeout Hill - (Friday)

I will update the above as the information becomes available.

If you would like to attend, now is a good time to put in for time off from work, if you need a lot of advance notice.

Happy crusin'!

Last edited:
I'm long time cruiser head, but I have never made it to any major events. I've wanted to do Moab for years and looks like everything is falling into place to do it this year. I have a few questions for you veterans.

First, I finally got my 40 all put back together last summer. I still want to get a cage in it this spring, and revamp the seats and seat belts, but it will make it either way. I did an H41 4speed swap in it last year and power steering, makes for much better wheeling, compared to the stock 3speed. I also put on 32" tires on 16" rims, but still running the stock suspension. I used to wheel and mess around a lot in it many moons ago, but life and a family seems to rob your play time. So, I guess I'm saying, I'm not totally green, but never done Moab either. I'm assuming the level 4 trails would be fine for me. I just want to go and enjoy myself, the wife will be coming too, she is easily scared. I really don't want to tear anything up beyond reason. I'm leaning towards Fins and Things Thur., Sevenmile, Fri., and Dome Plateau Sat. if those are options those days. Does any of that sound too unreasonable in a stock 40. Pourcupine rim also looked interesting as did Elephant hill, perhaps those would be better on Fri. I'd like to do the more interesting and scenic trails, cool geology a plus. I know what desert country looks like, no stranger to that, so if one trail is better than another I would like to know.

We are planning on tent camping at slickrock, I have an old StarCraft popup, but it will be a long trip pulling it behind the 40. Looks like Slickrock is okay camping, will be nice to have facilities obviously. We were thinking about splitting Saturday night, Dome might work well for that, since we will be North of town when we finish anyways, unless the route circles back to Moab, I'm not sure. I'd be open to joining a friendly group in a group site near town too, but don't really want to leave a camp set up on the BLM grounds next to the highway.

I'm also curious, of course depending on the trail you choose, if there is any free time in the afternoon for side trips to arches, and upheaval dome, I'd like to check them out. It's probably been nearly 20 years since I last passed through there, my wife has never seen any of the sights, so I thought it would be fun to check them out if we can.

Any advice is welcome, we are finalizing our plans and baby sitters, so I will be registering soon.

Most of the trail runs start at 9 which generally means that most trails rated at a 4 and under are done around 2-3pm. However, this is largely dependent upon people arriving on time, group size, driver experience, and breakdowns. This also depends on the trails location, ie. how far out of town the trail begins/ends. Most people are pretty tired after a day on the trail despite its rating. With that being said, many Cruise Moab participants arrive a few days prior to the event for the Moab experience outside of off-roading. Some that are limited on time elect to take Friday off from off-roading and hang at camp socializing or go hiking in Arches.

I would recommend Elephant Hill if you're into geology and scenery. I did it in 2010 in a stock 100-series. There was a little dragging and paint scraping on my plastic bumpers but it's longer and lower than a stock 40 on 32's. It is a little more challenge than Fins and a lot more scenic and remote. You might need your wife to get out of the truck in a couple spots due to some cliff exposure and a section that requires you to back up for a short distance because there isn't room to turn around.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, so you are recommending Elephant Hill??? I would like to bring the kids, I'm just apprehensive about the 5 hour trip down in the 40 and room for all our stuff. Hate to make them deaf before grade school. I'll have to think about it some more, maybe hook up the camper and see just how squirelly it is. A short trailer put this same 40 on its side twice now, so I've become a little gun shy of towing with it, plus it will be some long pulls until I get to Rifle, and then I-70 will be slow going. I was planning on the river road to break up some of the interstate.

Edited, I should add, kids are 7 and 4.

Last edited:
E-hill is a long day on pavement and on the trail, so make sure you're ready and prepared for 11 hours on the road. But it's a great day, with lots of breaks, 2 hikes that are very family friendly, and some of the best scenery you'll have while in SE Utah. Highly recommend it.

Thanks guys, so you are recommending Elephant Hill??? I would like to bring the kids, I'm just apprehensive about the 5 hour trip down in the 40 and room for all our stuff. Hate to make them deaf before grade school..

Edited, I should add, kids are 7 and 4.

I can understand your reluctance to doing the long day in the 40. I was in my mall cruiser with all of the creature comforts. The drive from Moab to Canyonlands is about an hour of highway and then another ~30 minutes of slow paved road off the highway. There will be lots of stopping, getting out of trucks, taking little hikes and breaks so that will help with the long day. My kids were 7 and 8 the last time I went. I don't recall any complaining.

Oh I think we can take the days on the trails, it's the 250 miles to Moab and 250 back home I'm more concerned about in the 40.

Oh I think we can take the days on the trails, it's the 250 miles to Moab and 250 back home I'm more concerned about in the 40.
That makes sense. Drive 2 vehicles? Bring the 60 instead?

Still a few spots left everyone!

If you've never been to a Cruise Moab make this your year to be there!

If you haven't been in awhile come back and join us, this is the 18th year and it's going to be one of the best yet!

Well I'm in, signed up for E-Hill Thur., Fins Fri., and Dome Plateau Sat. I'm assuming we finish Dome north of Moab, and plan on leaving from there. Wife and I decided for our maiden voyage to CM we would do an adult trip, get a feel for it and decide on kids in the coming years.

We'll be coming down Wednesday, reserved tens spot 127 at Slickrock. Please add that to the camp diagram please someone.

Now just to get all my little projects done on the 40. I need a 4spd PTO winch driveshaft, anyone?????

If anyone is passing through Albuquerque Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, you're welcome to caravan with me. I will depart from the NW part of town and head up Highway 550 toward Farmington.

I'll ask here again, asked in another thread. Suggestions on extra fuel for Elephant Hill Thursday. Pretty stock 40, assumed 8-10 MPG on the trail. I can carry one or two jerry cans. Was planning on just bringing one. Any advice from past participants.

The web site for the needles outpost says they have gas, it is off the main road just before you enter the park.

The E-Hill trail is about 20 miles long. It's 160 miles round-trip from Slickrock CG to the Needles District Visitor Center. To be safe, I would plan on 200 miles total for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom