Crazy tranny conversion question: auto v. 3 or 4spd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again..wondering if anyone out there has converted their 3 on the tree, 3spd or 4spd floor transmission into an automatic transmission...currently I have a 3 on the tree and will attempt a swap to a 3/4 spd transmission or automatic....is the switch to automatic crazy??....thanks...R

...complicated yes...can it be done??...hopefully....

with enough time and/or $$ anything can be done. I think the most common problem with the auto's is having enough wheelbase for a rear drive shaft. The front driveshaft may come close to the pan as well depending on what tranny you use. Most of the time it is with a SBC conversion.

Ditto, I've never seen one with the stock 6 cylinder. People do it all the time when converting to a V8.

We built, and I owned a 6 cyl. with 700R4 auto tranny. Would not have fit an FJ40 at all. Several unsolvable problems an FJ owner would have had, so we never put onto the market.
EC_ECL_04.jpg

We built, and I owned a 6 cyl. with 700R4 auto tranny. Would not have fit an FJ40 at all. Several unsolvable problems an FJ owner would have had, so we never put onto the market.
EC_ECL_04.jpg
How about an FJ55?

I had the 700R4 in my FJ45, consequently I actually did have a rear drive shaft--- so would an FJ60. The problems where:
(a) chewed up 6 starters in a row for no reason whatsoever, no explaniation. All machining was 1,000% to GM spec?????
(b) My FJ45 6 cyl. had throttle body injection so the 700R4 kick down cable had something to actuate it. A stock Landcruiser carb is not set up to actuate the kick down cable, nor did we develope anything to take care of this.

well...thanks for the input...a 3/4spd floor shirter is looking like a better idea...:)

EC_ECL_04.jpg

Jim

This is something I am curious about. How does a 6 cyl do running a 700R4?

Mileage? I grew up with the idea that auto trannys hurt fuel mileage. But technology has come a long ways since the 50s and 60s.

Torque? Will losing the heavy flywheel to put on the flexplate and torque convertor cause any loss of low end torque?

I am thinking specifically of the GM 292 since they will bolt directly to a 700R4. Possibly bored out with slightly higher compression pistons, a different cam to enhance low end torque, etc.

Any recommendations besides a long wheelbase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom