Crazy Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey C-Guy
I have a 12V from NZ. Not enough room to get the studs out. I will try to free the plunger. Too bad the FSM has nothing about the magnetic switch.The black plastic thing fried and fell appart when I touched it. Everything else is cooked. So, where do u find the "slightly" more expensive reman?:)

Buy Gord's "exmolad's" starter and be done with it. Save your old one for next time as parts. A 3B rebuild in the US would have to come from SOR or you need to buy new.

I dont see anything wrong with buying gords unit. If I can purchase a remaned unit than I don't have to worry if gords unit will have new connectors or brushes or paint. Just like to have the option. If u can direct me,great.

Last edited:
Im in the process of getting the 2H on my 82 Troopy worthy for daily driving as my work rig and was considering replacing the starter. Worth it or just forget about it until necessary? I got a price on a new starter....$1466. Seemed pretty steep to me. I was also thinking about replacing the alternator. I do need all new radiator hoses, probably a radiator, thermostat, speedo cable, rocker cover gasket...the list keeps growing. Im wide open for suggestions/tips. Thanks. Dave

The nosecone is the part with the plunger/contacts (basically what you have pictured) so you'd need to fix yours to take advantage of the cheap rebuild.

The nosecone is the piece that mounts to the bellhousing. The rest is the body, which houses the contacts and motor assembly. I'll see if I can find a pic

so the bright new shiny part is the piece that comes with the 2l starter. you swap that off the new one and put yours on so it fit's the 3b. The pic is my old starter motor and contact housing on the 2l nose cone. make sense? Supposedly you can do the same thing with cummins starters. There is info here from lowenbrau.
584.JPG

Last edited:
Im in the process of getting the 2H on my 82 Troopy worthy for daily driving as my work rig and was considering replacing the starter. Worth it or just forget about it until necessary? I got a price on a new starter....$1466. Seemed pretty steep to me. I was also thinking about replacing the alternator. I do need all new radiator hoses, probably a radiator, thermostat, speedo cable, rocker cover gasket...the list keeps growing. Im wide open for suggestions/tips. Thanks. Dave

Generally the Totoya starters are pretty good. I wouldn't replace it though I might change the contacts.

Sorry ! I get it, finally. :idea: Sometimes the frustration of ones (my) lack of knowlege cripples the mind. For $143.00 I can have a reman starter. I'll be keeping my eye or ears on those contacts. Thanks all !:cheers:

On The Road Again

My starter is in and running smooth. Thanks to Cruisre Guy (thanks for ur patients), Wesintl (couldn't have done it without u) and Lowenbrau cuz he helped u out.Had to bling the nosecone, hope u like. :cheers:
ujoint 1 (5).jpg
ujoint 1 (10).jpg
Starter 005.jpg

Last edited:
Which route did you end up going? I am in the process of doing this right now. I called Toyota and they have the starter that Wesintl gave the part number for for $111. Was going to order it and swap nosecones.

Hi Jeremy

I ended up buying a remanufactured starter from my local Toyota dealer. I traded the nosecone and installed it myself, about one:wrench:. I couldn't be happier with the unit.:) I put the new nosecone on the old starter and took it back for the core deposit. Hope this helps. :cheers:

the 12 v from toyota 28100-54090-84 which is a 2.5 kw gear reduction. then swap the nose cone. It was like $120 from toyota. I'll sell you my almost new contacts from my old one if you want.

Thank you! Did this last night. I could not have been easier! Pulled the 3 bolts off of the working end and 2 on the back end (don't remove the 2, just back them out and leave them in place and the cone comes right off.

(yeah, old post and all that...)

Yeah, I thought $111.00 was sweet. $143 was after core deposit. The cool part was the ease of intregation of the 2 parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom