Cooper S/T Maxx Real Reviews (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got mine and I'm very happy with them. I was most surprised by how quiet they are. I haven't had them off road yet, but I hope to rectify that this weekend.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416551655.231405.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416551674.877934.jpg

I took the ST Maxxs off-road last weekend. We had an all night heavy rain and the trails were covered with leaves. The tires did great. They did pack up with mud a little but cleaned out nicely with a little wheel spin. They were MUCH better in these conditions than my old BFG All Terrains. I think they're a great compromise between an AT and a MT. I'm very happy with them.

We finally got our first bit of snow yesterday out of no where. It was forecast to rain for the next couple of days but it ended up getting cold enough to snow for us. While our snow is not the dry, soft kind, it definitely makes things interesting. We get the super wet and heavy stuff when we get it down in the valley (Carson City, NV at 4500') so the roads are normally icy along with the snow pack. Yesterday kept hovering right around 32/34 degrees so it was not something where it would suddenly ice over, rather it would snow for a bit then rain, then snow, then rain. On the drive home I let the LC do its thing and did not have the tires slip more than a 1/4 turn once at a stop light. Other than that I would not have even known there was snow on the ground.
Then this morning I figured that temps would drop to freezing overnight allowing what had accumulated to ice over, but to my surprise it was just foggy and wet. Took the LC out of 4wd and tested the slip and wheel spin when I could (around corners or at stop signs) and again I got nothing other than standard dry performance. Seriously impressed with them so far as they have proven to be great tires, both in our sloppy wet snow and the rainy wet roads. Hopefully this storm, which is supposed to stick around today, will drop some real snow and drop the temps below freezing and then I can see what else is going on with these tires for the other conditions. May also have to go find some mud soon!

I had a set of 265/75r16s on my work truck in the oil fields of california.
99% dirt & gravel roads.
Ran them at 25 psi for 3 summers & 2 winters.
The longest wearing tire I have had by double.

Last edited:
Got a little more snow over the Christmas/New Years week and this actually is sticking around a bit. Threw the truck into 4wd and she did great with minimal slip/spin. Did have a few spots where it would spin for maybe a 1/4 turn but that was the extent of it. Christmas Eve night we got some really heavy and wet stuff that then quickly melted and froze to the roads. This definitely caused issues as the tires did slip quite a bit (mainly while in 2wd) but then again my wife's '11 4Runner was having the same issue with her Falken Rocky Mtn ATs. I could break it loose if I wanted too but really they did not just keep sliding unless the tire were completely cold. Once they warmed up a bit (after driving a couple miles) they were sticking to just about everything. Snow never got over about 1" so don't have any real test/understanding how they would do in accumulated deep snow. May have to take a run up to Tahoe to play soon.

I just picked up a set in 285/75/16 based on some of the reviews posted here on MUD. I have very few miles on them yet but they have nice road manners thus far. A huge improvement over what was on it, 32/11.50/15 Maxxis. I'm running them on a HJ75 so noise is relative given the noise of a diesel. I can feel the additional weight but that's understandable. Tire height went from ~29.5" to ~32" for a much better looking stance.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429557395.384902.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429557425.054023.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429557453.569840.jpg
I think they look pretty good.

I bought a set of 315s & again like my 265s they are quite. These are the truest all terrain tire you can get. Good in mud not great, but good. The big lugs don't pick up rocks as much as traditional all terrains do. My 265s as in post #44 got twice the wear of other Coopers ties I had. I expect good life out of these. They weigh 67 lbs. 34.5" off vehicle.
2015-03-28 19.30.17.jpg
2015-03-28 19.28.55.png

2015-03-06-10-18-09.png

Last edited:
I'll chime in. I just put a set of these on my 100 last week; size 285/75r16. I came from a set of Cooper STs that I got over 40k out of, despite picking the set up used. I was impressed with Cooper and liked the Maxx, so I went with them.

In just over a week, I've put nearly 2,000 miles on the tires. Much of it highway miles as I took the 100 back to Portland for Christmas. Though I've seen plenty of city driving, dirt and lots of snow and ice. It's also of note is that I syped the center tread blocks for improved ice and hard snow traction.

In short, I'm really impressed with these tires. I mean, really really impressed. I had waffled for nearly two months between these and the DuraTracs.

Some initial observations:
- These things are much quieter than the worn out STs I replaced. Noticeably quieter. I like that.
- I love the looks of these tires. I was worried that I'd lose a bit in the steeze department. Quite the opposite really. (And let's be honest, there are some vanity in tire choices. :D)
- The STs I came from were Load Range D and the ST Maxx are E. It is noticeable. They feel more substantial and less ballon-like. It is a marked improvement.
- The steering response is improved as is bumps and vibrations. Though some of that could be due to the fact that the tire shop recommended these at 35psi. I think the front could use a few more pounds, while the rear seem to be good at 35. (I don't have my third row seats in.)
- The Maxx is heavy. Remarkably so, in fact. It was very apparent in both acceleration and in braking. Steering is enough to notice, but I like a bit of steering resistance; it reminds me of my days driving my FJ40. :cool:
- The weight definitely contributed to a noticeable loss in fuel economy. Now to be fair, I was running a ski rack with three pairs of skis and a loaded rig. I also have an incredible knack for finding gas stations with 10% or even E85 fuel. My Cruiser hates any ethanol. That might contribute to this. However, I typically get about 330 miles out of tank, give or take. I was seeing as low as 250 miles in a tank. On the way back yesterday, economy continued to improve as I think the ECU adjusted shift points and timing to compensate for the increased rotating mass.
- In snow and ice - my primary deciding factor in buying tires - these things were absolutely incredible. The STs were quite good but these were just flat out excellent. I suspect the syping has a lot to do with this. In the PNWet, not a slip, shudder or slide. Rock solid. Deep snow was also terrific, but that's to be expected due to the voids and tread depth.
- Back here in Montana, the ice was no match and still isn't. In typical driving around Bozeman in spots where I knew I would slip if I stabbed the gas or took a corner a bit too fast, the Maxx was excellent; no slipping or sliding.

I'll continue to update this as I see it relevant. Overall, I'm exceptionally happy with these tires so far. Holler with questions.

BTW, at what pressure is everyone running their Maxxs?

When you had them siped, were they in the same orientation as the vertical factory sipe, or was it horizontal across the tread block? I'm looking at these and will definitely have them siped since I live in the midwest, and I want to make sure it's done right. Also, how has it affected the tread wear? Thank you.

They also handle great on pavement. I had to stand on the brakes and do an emergency lane change the other day at around 50mph and there was no drama. They just gripped. I think the best compliment to any piece of gear is that you never have to think about it. That's how I feel about the ST/Maxx. They've just worked.

I am in love with mine.
I had run BFG AT/KO's for about the last 11 years on my Land Rover. When I bought the Land Cruiser I wanted to try something more aggressive but still wanted great wet handling, snow handling, and still a decent wear with sturdy sidewalls.
Did a lot of research and finally decided on the ST/Maxx. I could not be more happy.

Just completed a 5,525 mile trip and had no problems. Aired them down to about 15-20psi on trails and back up to 35-40psi for expressway.
285/75/16's.

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico.
White  Sands.jpg

White Rim Trail - Canyonlands NP, Utah.
White Rim.jpg

subbed.... been reading through this thread., because I am interested in these tires. Currently on my 3rd set of BFG AT KOs and I'm torn between the Maxx, AT3, ATP and the S/T, . Sounds like the Maxx are a great AT tire, all around. Is that safe to say? I haven't read anywhere where people have complained about the performance of these tires in any given situation. The only complaint I have read about them is that they are heavy compared to other AT tires. I'll be running 31"s on a DD.

Last edited:
I am in love with mine.
I had run BFG AT/KO's for about the last 11 years on my Land Rover. When I bought the Land Cruiser I wanted to try something more aggressive but still wanted great wet handling, snow handling, and still a decent wear with sturdy sidewalls.
Did a lot of research and finally decided on the ST/Maxx. I could not be more happy.

Just completed a 5,525 mile trip and had no problems. Aired them down to about 15-20psi on trails and back up to 35-40psi for expressway.
285/75/16's.

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico.
View attachment 1097204

White Rim Trail - Canyonlands NP, Utah.
View attachment 1097206
The only real complaints of the ST Maxx that I've read about are they are heavy and the sidewalls are stiff for airing down. I am running the BFG's at the moment, but really considering the ST Maxx over the AT3, mainly because of the sidewall. I have no problems airing down the BFG's down to 15lbs. I am guessing that you didn't either with the Maxx? Did you notice any difference with them (I.e., loss of performance and/or mpg), compared to the BFG's due to them being a little heavier?

Sent from my SM-T700

The only real complaints of the ST Maxx that I've read about are they are heavy and the sidewalls are stiff for airing down. I am running the BFG's at the moment, but really considering the ST Maxx over the AT3, mainly because of the sidewall. I have no problems airing down the BFG's down to 15lbs. I am guessing that you didn't either with the Maxx? Did you notice any difference with them (I.e., loss of performance and/or mpg), compared to the BFG's due to them being a little heavier?

Sent from my SM-T700

I did not have any problem airing them down. I did not notice a difference in performance or mpg. That being said, if you are looking for an AT tire and have no need for an aggressive mud tire, I would just stay with an AT.

I did not have any problem airing them down. I did not notice a difference in performance or mpg. That being said, if you are looking for an AT tire and have no need for an aggressive mud tire, I would just stay with an AT.
That's good to know, thanks. I haven't had a need, yet for a little more aggressive tire, but I want to be ready, just in case. The lack of the 3 ply sidewall on the AT3 is what concerns me and why I am consider the ST Maxx.

Sent from my SM-T700

Just a heads up.

I've been running these tires for a while now. I replaced them recently after a blow out. Shortly after replacing them I had one start leaking. I took it in to get patched, and the tire was ruined. It had cracked half way around the lip where the tire seals against the wheel. The tire store replaced it. Just a few weeks later I had another one do the same thing. I started doing some research and found that this is a fairly common occurrence with these tires. I then went back to the tire store and had all the tires taken off the wheels. 2 of the remaining three had cracks in the same spot. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. It's a shame because I liked the tires. I'm now going back to the BFG KO2.

Just a heads up.

I've been running these tires for a while now. I replaced them recently after a blow out. Shortly after replacing them I had one start leaking. I took it in to get patched, and the tire was ruined. It had cracked half way around the lip where the tire seals against the wheel. The tire store replaced it. Just a few weeks later I had another one do the same thing. I started doing some research and found that this is a fairly common occurrence with these tires. I then went back to the tire store and had all the tires taken off the wheels. 2 of the remaining three had cracks in the same spot. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. It's a shame because I liked the tires. I'm now going back to the BFG KO2.

Do you know if it is just a common issue or what it something that was relevant to a specific year or mfg plant or ???? Also, how many miles did you have on yours? I have about 6k on mine and have not seen or had any issues. I don't do a whole lot of driving but would be something I would like to be aware of if it is going to be a persistent issue that I should have looked at.

The tires were almost new. So far I am being told it was a bad batch of tires, but if you google it you will find similar stories with different time periods. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but I'm working on it. I just thought it was something people would want to know. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.

The tires were almost new. So far I am being told it was a bad batch of tires, but if you google it you will find similar stories with different time periods. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but I'm working on it. I just thought it was something people would want to know. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow.
I Google it after I read your post. from what I saw the complaints were between 2011 - 2013. I didn't see anything recent. I've been reading through other forums with threads dedicated to the ST Maxx and so far I haven't read any complaints about them except that they are heavy compared to other AT tires. But, I haven't read through the whole forums, yet. Hopefully, it was a bad batch, because I am really considering getting them.

Sent from my SM-T700

I Google it after I read your post. from what I saw the complaints were between 2011 - 2013. I didn't see anything recent. I've been reading through other forums with threads dedicated to the ST Maxx and so far I haven't read any complaints about them except that they are heavy compared to other AT tires. But, I haven't read through the whole forums, yet. Hopefully, it was a bad batch, because I am really considering getting them.

Sent from my SM-T700

something else to consider is that these tires were on my 3/4 ton pickup. although a different vehicle the tires should still not come apart like that. i really liked the tires, as i have said, but i won't be putting them on any of my vehicles anymore. maybe they will be fine on a cruiser, nobody here seams to be having trouble.

something else to consider is that these tires were on my 3/4 ton pickup. although a different vehicle the tires should still not come apart like that. i really liked the tires, as i have said, but i won't be putting them on any of my vehicles anymore. maybe they will be fine on a cruiser, nobody here seams to be having trouble.

True they may have problems on heavier vehicles. But that seems odd as you would logically think that the Armor-Tek would help but maybe there is a bead flaw that happens on larger vehicles. These are too aggressive for the wife's 4Runner so that will get Cooper Discoverer AT3s which was what I was looking at in the first place. If something were to happen with these I would probably go to the AT3 or ATP (I bought from discount tire) simply to save weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom