Coolant leak near alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just brought this 1999 Land Cruiser home last night, went to change the oil today and noticed a steady leak right near the alternator.

B2F8DFA3-1F07-4C7E-9B20-0EF748078E94.jpeg

Circles in red is where the coolant is coming from. Any help identifying what needs to be replaced to fix the leak is appreciated!

I just see a bunch of oil that has spewed out of your valve cover gasket, cam seal, and/or oil pump.

You’re gonna have to clean all that off to pinpoint it. Could be the water pump gasket, front bypass pipe gasket, thermostat gasket, etc.

I sprayed it down after taking the picture. Any idea what that part is right next to the red circle? The leak appears to be coming from the mating surface of that part

I sprayed it down after taking the picture. Any idea what that part is right next to the red circle? The leak appears to be coming from the mating surface of that part
To the right of the circle is the timing belt tensioner, which has nothing to do with coolant.

I am 98% certain it’s coming from the water pump gasket area
A299850F-9022-4CE2-B44A-C5EB061175D1.jpeg

My guess would also be waterpump / thermostat area which is right above there. As with any leak, first step is to check fluid level and top off to proper level. Clean it up better, run motor, and inspect.

Then again I don't even see any coolant just a bunch of oil and dirt sludge. Your user name is about to become true the more you dig into this rig. Alternator looks shiny and new so that's a plus.

Hey Guys
Been using this forum for a while and have used all your info to maintain and fix my 2002 LC with 209K. I cannot seem to find a coolant leak that only leaks when truck stops and will leak several minutes then stop. The area is the same exact area as photographed in this thread(next to alternator on that exact bolt). I changed the round thermostat housing gasket and resealed the other gasket with FIPG(lots of opinions on that one) as I thought the round gasket was leaking. That went well but still have the leak. As you can see in the first two pics the alternator is new and did start to have a slow leak around the time it was replaced but thought it was my radiator as that had cracks on top and that was replaced about a month ago. Is it possible something was disturbed to start that leak when alternator was replaced? Had it done at local shop. I did the radiator and thermostat housing reseal and I think all looks fine there. The last pic is where the leak is coming down from as the leak seems to be dripping on the front cross member and on to the last pic. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

IMG_7516[1].JPG

IMG_7515[1].JPG

IMG_7518[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom