Considering a 100 series?... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

So I currently have a 1986 Hj61 12ht cruiser. I guess it's alright but I'm over finding rust and spending more money and time working on it than i do driving, my love for the car has died. I am wanting something newer.

I have my eye on a few HDJ100's (1hd-fte motor) with the 5 speed automatic. Are these vehicle still fairly alright offroad with torsion IFS front end? What's fuel economy like? I have driven a few of them and love the way they feel. Appreciate all feed back!

While there is no question that a solid axle is superior off road, the IFS of the 100 holds up just fine and is very capable. I can't comment on fuel economy with the 1HD, but I can guarantee is far better than what we're getting in the US with our 2UZ gas guzzlers.

It's obviously well-documented, but the difference in ride quality between IFS and solid front axle is night and day. I think the best way to appreciate this is daily driving.

I owned and daily drove my built '97 80 series for 13 years, thought I really had the suspension dialed in and for what it was it rode really nice. I've been in the 100 now for over a year and although I haven't tackled any crazy trails with it for practical purposes the ride is superior in every way. it tackles obstacles in the way I grew spoiled with in the 80: undramatic. It just walks through wherever I point it.

Washboard roads are tolerable even to my wife now, the truck tracks better and doesn't feel like it going to dance off the road.

Additionally you add in more supportive seats and after several long distance trips I don't get out of the truck feeling stiff as a board.

I like the intersection I feel like I get with the 100 - just enough technology to keep it comfortable and simple enough to fix on my own.

As someone coming from a similar background I can say that there are significant differences but also some drawbacks.
For me, my love of my 60 was the old school feel of it which came with the 4spd, manual everything and feel on the road of the solid Axles and leaf spring suspension. However, the new 100 is growing on me with the availability of power, modern touches, etc.

They really are two different classes of vehicles but share the same capabilities and heritage. Only reason I sold my 60 is the wife and I need a tow vehicle, her 4Runner is almost paid off so that was a no go and getting her into a 100 would have been a significant step back in years and modern touches (which is big for her). So it was easier for me to sell my 60 while the market was forgiving and purchase a 100. Still have a bit of work to do to mine to bring it up to a usable standard of mine for off-road but I am getting there.
Regardless, it is still a Toyota Land Cruiser. They all, regardless of series, have their quirks and problems but will all be dead stable and reliable.

I have a 4spd auto 1HD-FTE...

Fuel economy is not that bad IMO, best I can get is around 11l/100km (traveling @100kmh all day long). In short town trips/offroad it hits 16-19l/100km. A good average is somewhere near 13-14l/100km, which isn't a lot from a 4.2l engine. My main concern here is that above 100kmh, every 10kmh adds 1l/100km. It also doesn't feel safe and comfortable at 130-140kmh, and that is a big downside of it to me. I had a Prado 120 2 cars before, and that did 140kmh all day long without issues. When you're traveling 6-700km's a day, it does mean a lot that you are tied to 100kmh, or can go 130kmh. Maybe the 5spd auto is better with that (but I think the 5th is geared the same as my 4th is).
About the suspension.. The kind of offroad I'm using it (everything but rock crawling/trial), I can't tell a difference from my previous car (which was a Defender). It goes everywhere that did.
It has a few very expensive parts (fuel pump, brake booster, turbo, trans, etc.), so you have to be careful when buying one, as two of these items failing is about the same price as the car itself.
(The Prado with the 1KD engine also had way-way more power (=punch) than the 100). I'm not saying I'm a prado fan (I hate how it looks), but I wish I had a good prado instead of the 100, because the prado is superior in every aspect, expect for the size of the cabin & the split trunk door.

Last edited:
Hey all,

So I currently have a 1986 Hj61 12ht cruiser. I guess it's alright but I'm over finding rust and spending more money and time working on it than i do driving, my love for the car has died. I am wanting something newer.

I have my eye on a few HDJ100's (1hd-fte motor) with the 5 speed automatic. Are these vehicle still fairly alright offroad with torsion IFS front end? What's fuel economy like? I have driven a few of them and love the way they feel. Appreciate all feed back!

There is no doubt that the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine, properly serviced and without re-mapping and/or chips, will run for a very long time as will the rest of the drivetrain. In Australian parlance, I find diesel fuel consumption around urban areas to be around 12/litres/100kms, long trips without trailer/caravan requires 11 litres/100km at 110 km/hour on sealed roads, and this can be reduced to 9 or 10 litres/100km if speed is held below 100 km/hour. Faster is possible and comfortable -- not necessarily legal in some places -- but fuel consumption increases dramatically. A recent long trip on good backroads including the Darling River Run required about 11 litres/100kms, obviously much more for diversions in sand or in rough going where low range is required.

The IFS front end has not disappointed on rough roads and tracks and it has gone wherever I have wanted to go in Australia -- North Flinders Ranges via Camerons Corner and Strzelecki Track, Victorian High Country, Fraser Island, etc, etc. I would do Cape York, Simpson Desert and similar but I don't go to harder offroad situations and have not been as adventurous as I might have been with a solid front axle. The payback is that HDJ100 with IFS is a very comfortable 'Cruiser over long distances and long driving hours. My 2006 vehicle came to me 12 years ago at a good price in Sahara (VX) format with the AHC/TEMS suspension system. This system does require some careful attention, as described at length in many very helpful IH8MUD posts. Personally, Mrs IndroCruise and I like the additional AHC cruising comfort and the flexibility to raise and lower the vehicle when required. With just two pax, we can live easily within the stock GVM limitations. I enjoy the technical challenge of understanding and managing the AHC system. So for us, our HDJ100 with AHC is a ‘keeper’ for at least another 100,000kms and probably much longer -- it passed 200,000kms just today! Others have taken a different view, reflecting their own needs. If I was starting again and we were intent on a lot of very challenging 4WD trips, I would look for a HDJ100 Landcruiser with IFS and 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine without AHC/TEMS, maybe upgrade the conventional suspension and the GVM certification, and maybe add some lift and some diff lockers.

Last edited:
If you can, try to get an HDJ100 with a manual instead of the automatic. I have a manual HDJ80 and my brother also has a manual HDJ80 as well as a manual HDJ100. All three are 12 valve 1HDT. We both agree that the HDJ100 is waaaay slower compared to the HDJ80. It feels sluggish and underpowered, and I bet it’s worse with an automatic transmission.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine, properly serviced and without re-mapping and/or chips, will run for a very long time as will the rest of the drivetrain. In Australian parlance, I find diesel fuel consumption around urban areas to be around 12/litres/100kms, long trips without trailer/caravan requires 11 litres/100km at 110 km/hour on sealed roads, and this can be reduced to 9 or 10 litres/100km if speed is held below 100 km/hour. Faster is possible and comfortable -- not necessarily legal in some places -- but fuel consumption increases dramatically. A recent long trip on good backroads including the Darling River Run required about 11 litres/100kms, obviously much more for diversions in sand or in rough going where low range is required.

The IFS front end has not disappointed on rough roads and tracks and it has gone wherever I have wanted to go in Australia -- North Flinders Ranges via Camerons Corner and Strzelecki Track, Victorian High Country, Fraser Island, etc, etc. I would do Cape York, Simpson Desert and similar but I don't go to harder offroad situations and have not been as adventurous as I might have been with a solid front axle. The payback is that HDJ100 with IFS is a very comfortable 'Cruiser over long distances and long driving hours. My 2006 vehicle came to me 12 years ago at a good price in Sahara (VX) format with the AHC/TEMS suspension system. This system does require some careful attention, as described at length in many very helpful IH8MUD posts. Personally, Mrs IndroCruise and I like the additional AHC cruising comfort and the flexibility to raise and lower the vehicle when required. With just two pax, we can live easily within the stock GVM limitations. I enjoy the technical challenge of understanding and managing the AHC system. So for us, our HDJ100 with AHC is a ‘keeper’ for at least another 100,000kms and probably much longer -- it passed 200,000kms just today! Others have taken a different view, reflecting their own needs. If I was starting again and we were intent on a lot of very challenging 4WD trips, I would look for a HDJ100 Landcruiser with IFS and 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine without AHC/TEMS, maybe upgrade the conventional suspension and the GVM certification, and maybe add some lift and some diff lockers.

Hi melias24,

Here are a few further notes and attachments which I dug out of the files and which may be of interest .....

As a starting point in finding a good HDJ100 with 1HD-FTE, it may be helpful to revisit the Model Codes designated by Toyota Motor Corporation Ltd and used worldwide for Toyota Landcruiser 100 series Wagons. The Model Code for any vehicle is found on a label affixed to the firewall in the engine bay. The Model Code helps to identify the specification of the vehicle. An example is attached.

The Engine type also is shown clearly on the same label affixed to the firewall in the engine bay.

When reviewing vehicles for purchase, it is useful to see this manufacturer’s label or request a photograph of it, so as to be aware of the vehicle specification when it was manufactured.

The Model Code does not help with accessories or options fitted by the manufacturer or a dealer. These may vary from market to market around the world. For example, in Australia AHC/TEMS was only fitted by Toyota to the final upgrade of the LC100 Landcruiser Sahara model manufactured from late 2005 to late 2006 (prior to introduction of the 200 series).

However, if the complete Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is available, all factory-fitted options can be discovered.

The attachment “Landcruiser Model Line Up by Country” (Toyota document) gives an idea of the spread of specifications around the world.

To distinguish between engines ….

Earlier diesel LC80 vehicles were fitted with the 1HD-T engine which at least in Australia acquired a reputation, fairly or unfairly, for big end bearing problems. These are said to have been overcome in the subsequent 1HD-FT diesel engine. The point here is that if considering one of these older engines it is good idea to obtain input from people who have worked on them and who really know their stuff. There are quite a few old posts on IH8MUD and elsewhere concerning these engines.

In Australia around October 2000 (and maybe in other countries at similar dates), the 24-valve 1HD-FTE engine succeeded the 1HD-FT engine. It first became available on selected Landcruiser models from about the year 2000 with either 5 speed manual transmission or 4 speed auto transmission. The 1HD-FTE was matched to the 5 speed A750F auto transmission from about 2002. The non-turbo 1HZ engine also continued for a time, mainly in some versions of the HZJ105 Landcruisers.

The improvements in specifications and improved performance of the 1HD-FTE engine over the 1HD-FT engine are well summarised in the attachment “1HD-FTE Engine Improvements” (Toyota document).

Choice of 5 speed H151 manual transmission or the 5 speed A750F auto transmission is a matter of intended application and available servicing capabilties. Some people prefer the manual transmission for heavy 4WD work and/or as a matter of simplicity and personal preference. As can be seen below, the ratios in the auto transmission versions are a little taller. Nevertheless, it is fair to say that the 1HD-FTE engine matched with the A750F auto transmission, if both are well-maintained, enjoy a strong reputation in Australia.

The Toyota Landcruiser HDJ100 with 1HD-FTE turbodiesel and A750F five-speed auto transmission has the following ratios – see attached Specifications (Toyota documents):

First: 3.520:1
Second: 2.042:1
Third: 1.400:1
Fourth: 1.000:1
Fifth: 0.716:1
Reverse: 3.224:1
Final drive ratio: 3.909:1

The The Toyota Landcruiser HDJ100 with 1HD-FTE turbodiesel and H151 five-speed manual transmission has the following ratios -- see attached Specifications (Toyota documents):

First: 4.081:1
Second: 2.294:1
Third: 1.490:1
Fifth: 0.881:1
Reverse: 4.313:1
Final drive ratio: 4.101:1

In both manual transmission version and the auto transmission version:

Transfer gear ratio – LOW: 2.488:1
Transfer gear ratio – HIGH: 1.000:1

See more details at Toyota links within the following link:
AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations

Hope this background information helps inform the search!!

Attachments

• 1HD-FTE Engine Improvements.PDF
    999.6 KB · Views: 830
  • Model Codes - Landcruiser 100 series Station Wagon.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Example - Manufacturers Label - Landcruiser 100 series .pdf
    150 KB · Views: 96
  • Landcruiser_100series_Model_LineUp_by_Country.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Landcruiser GXL and Sahara Specifications per Toyota Australia OCT2002.pdf
    253.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
The 1HD-FTE also had a facelift when it got a vgt turbo and a variable manifold to say the least.

Last edited:
I’ve daily driven a 62, 80 and 100. I did not wheel the 62 or 80. All are awesome. I really, really miss my 62. Having said that there is something special about my 100, I’ll never sell it.

If you can, try to get an HDJ100 with a manual instead of the automatic. I have a manual HDJ80 and my brother also has a manual HDJ80 as well as a manual HDJ100. All three are 12 valve 1HDT. We both agree that the HDJ100 is waaaay slower compared to the HDJ80. It feels sluggish and underpowered, despite having a shorter final drive of 4.3 instead of 4.1 in the 80. I bet it’s worse with an automatic transmission.
HDJ100 should be 1hd-fte 24 valve? Here in Australia they are at least.

HDJ100 also came with the 12 valve.
C2F56ECC-16EB-4DF6-BB3F-E07B2AC4AC0C.jpeg

HDJ100 should be 1hd-fte 24 valve? Here in Australia they are
Hi melias24,

Here are a few further notes and attachments which I dug out of the files and which may be of interest .....

As a starting point in finding a good HDJ100 with 1HD-FTE, it may be helpful to revisit the Model Codes designated by Toyota Motor Corporation Ltd and used worldwide for Toyota Landcruiser 100 series Wagons. The Model Code for any vehicle is found on a label affixed to the firewall in the engine bay. The Model Code helps to identify the specification of the vehicle. An example is attached.

The Engine type also is shown clearly on the same label affixed to the firewall in the engine bay.

When reviewing vehicles for purchase, it is useful to see this manufacturer’s label or request a photograph of it, so as to be aware of the vehicle specification when it was manufactured.

The Model Code does not help with accessories or options fitted by the manufacturer or a dealer. These may vary from market to market around the world. For example, in Australia AHC/TEMS was only fitted by Toyota to the final upgrade of the LC100 Landcruiser Sahara model manufactured from late 2005 to late 2006 (prior to introduction of the 200 series).

However, if the complete Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is available, all factory-fitted options can be discovered.

The attachment “Landcruiser Model Line Up by Country” (Toyota document) gives an idea of the spread of specifications around the world.

To distinguish between engines ….

Earlier diesel LC80 vehicles were fitted with the 1HD-T engine which at least in Australia acquired a reputation, fairly or unfairly, for big end bearing problems. These are said to have been overcome in the subsequent 1HD-FT diesel engine. The point here is that if considering one of these older engines it is good idea to obtain input from people who have worked on them and who really know their stuff. There are quite a few old posts on IH8MUD and elsewhere concerning these engines.

In Australia around October 2000 (and maybe in other countries at similar dates), the 24-valve 1HD-FTE engine succeeded the 1HD-FT engine. It first became available on selected Landcruiser models from about the year 2000 with either 5 speed manual transmission or 4 speed auto transmission. The 1HD-FTE was matched to the 5 speed A750F auto transmission from about 2002. The non-turbo 1HZ engine also continued for a time, mainly in some versions of the HZJ105 Landcruisers.

The improvements in specifications and improved performance of the 1HD-FTE engine over the 1HD-FT engine are well summarised in the attachment “1HD-FTE Engine Improvements” (Toyota document).

Choice of 5 speed H151 manual transmission or the 5 speed A750F auto transmission is a matter of intended application and available servicing capabilties. Some people prefer the manual transmission for heavy 4WD work and/or as a matter of simplicity and personal preference. As can be seen below, the ratios in the auto transmission versions are a little taller. Nevertheless, it is fair to say that the 1HD-FTE engine matched with the A750F auto transmission, if both are well-maintained, enjoy a strong reputation in Australia.

The Toyota Landcruiser HDJ100 with 1HD-FTE turbodiesel and A750F five-speed auto transmission has the following ratios – see attached Specifications (Toyota documents):

First: 3.520:1
Second: 2.042:1
Third: 1.400:1
Fifth: 0.716:1
Reverse: 3.224:1
Final drive ratio: 3.909:1

The The Toyota Landcruiser HDJ100 with 1HD-FTE turbodiesel and H151 five-speed manual transmission has the following ratios -- see attached Specifications (Toyota documents):

First: 4.081:1
Second: 2.294:1
Third: 1.490:1
Fifth: 0.881:1
Reverse: 4.313:1
Final drive ratio: 4.101:1

In both manual transmission version and the auto transmission version:

Transfer gear ratio – LOW: 2.488:1
Transfer gear ratio – HIGH: 1.000:1

See more details at Toyota links within the following link:

Hope this background information helps inform the search!!

Hi melias24,

HRTROB has illustrated a point mentioned in my post #8: Toyota exported the LC100 in different configurations and specifications to different parts of the word – and HRTROB has provided an example in the Philippines in post #12 of a HDJ100L with a 12 valve 1HD-T engine.

In the Australian market, the 12 valve 1HD-T engine was common in early LC80 vehicles and was eventually was succeeded in later LC80 vehicles by the 24 valve 1HD-FT engine. Maybe you might find the 1HD-T or 1HD-FT engines in LC100 vehicles in Australia but it is hard to find any mention of this. If they exist, it will be evident on the Manufacturer’s Plate and in the Engine Number.

You ask: “HDJ100 should be 1hd-fte 24 valve? Here in Australia they are at least?”

To answer your question ….

No -- not all LC100 vehicles in Australia were fitted with the 4.2 litre 24 valve 6-cylinder 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine.

There are many LC100 vehicles in Australia with petrol (gas) engines, either the early 4.5 litre 6-cylinder 1FZ-FE engine or the later 4.7 litre 8-cylinder 2UZ-FE engine.

In addition, there are a large number of base model LC100 vehicles in Australia with the non-turbo 4.2 litre 1HZ engine. These are (or were) often found in commercial enterprises, particularly in remote areas and/or in agriculture or mining. They are slow, obviously lower powered than the turbodiesels, but simple, rugged, reliable, easy to maintain and easy to push start in the manual transmission version.

Where the 24 valve 1HD-FTE engine is fitted, it will be visibly obvious in the engine bay and on the Manufacturer’s Label on the firewall.

If the 1HD-FTE engine is fitted, it will conform with the description in the Toyota document “1HD-FTE Engine Improvements” (Toyota document) as attached to my post #8.

You may find the following link informative in relation to Toyota engines in Australia:

Some further history is provided here:
1995 Toyota LandCruiser 80 Series Turbo Diesel Station Wagon - JUST 4X4S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom