Confirm my thoughts ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=13896;start=msg129612#msg129612 date=1080678411]
I spend a fair amount of time wheeling with LRs as I belong to a LR club ...

IMHO, the ONLY thing that is better on the earlier Discos vs. TLCs (both stock) is the rear departure angle and, I think, the break-over angle. I tend to drag my butt (well, my truck's butt) over many things that the older Discos don't have a problem with. From my inexperienced scan, most of the other components look to be far weaker than on our trucks.

Cheers, Hugh
[/quote]

I agree with Hugh, but I’ll add a bit.

In my opinion a Disco has a few design tricks that I wish the Toyota engineers would have thought of. First, lower control arms mount to the side of the main frame rails rather than underneath. This eliminates a catch point and turns the frame into a big slider of sorts. Second, the exhaust is nicely protected over the length of the vehicle. Even with a set of Slee Sliders, I’m constantly beating up the kittens (they’re real mad at me about last weekend).

Also, there are a lot more aftermarket options for discos than there are for 80 Series. With an 80 you’re limited to Slee, ARB, TJM or custom. My disco buddies have a ton more options especially out here on the east coast.

With that said. My slightly modified Cruiser has out shined any DII and all but the most tricked out DIs that I’ve wheeled with. Plus discos are a dime a dozen on trails out here. My Cruiser always turns heads and drops jaws.
:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom