Concerns on my Dobinson 3" Tapered spring lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got back from the alignment shop. My sloppy steering was not from caster, but rather my toe being slightly out of spec.
Caster2.1*2.4*
Toe-.01*.03*

The Cruiser tracks much better on the road and the shop did say my wheel bearings felt a little loose. I need to do an axle job this weekend so I'll address that this weekend.

Last edited:
I ran the 3” flexi as well on a fully built front end of my 80 (bumper, winch, 2nd battery, lights). It gave me a 22.7” hub to flare and bottomed out a lot)

I swapped to 144vt 3.5” tapered coils to get maximum flex with the 6” shocks 684s and to better handle the heavy weight of my 80.
This gave me 24” hub to flare.

I netted an increase of 1.3” between the 612v and 144vt

Been super happy with the 144vts as I feel 4” is a great height on these trucks with weight.

On the rear I didn’t run the 145vts because I have too much weight back there. I looked at all the options Dobinsons offers and found a taller single linear rate coil that has done amazing in flexing and taking on plenty of weight. It is the 319 coil by Dobinsons. The 319 put me at 24.5” hub to flare empty and 23.5” fully loaded.

Finally done with my suspension after multiple swaps.

Yours seems to be a tad out of spec. I’d see if you can swap to the new version which look good to me.
2A0C07E4-BDB2-452B-B881-20C880E3EB0C.jpeg

Fully loaded for 2 weeks in Utah

I ran the 3” flexi as well on a fully built front end of my 80 (bumper, winch, 2nd battery, lights). It gave me a 22.7” hub to flare and bottomed out a lot)

I swapped to 144vt 3.5” tapered coils to get maximum flex with the 6” shocks 684s and to better handle the heavy weight of my 80.
This gave me 24” hub to flare.

I netted an increase of 1.3” between the 612v and 144vt

Been super happy with the 144vts as I feel 4” is a great height on these trucks with weight.

On the rear I didn’t run the 145vts because I have too much weight back there. I looked at all the options Dobinsons offers and found a taller single linear rate coil that has done amazing in flexing and taking on plenty of weight. It is the 319 coil by Dobinsons. The 319 put me at 24.5” hub to flare empty and 23.5” fully loaded.

Finally done with my suspension after multiple swaps.

Yours seems to be a tad out of spec. I’d see if you can swap to the new version which look good to me.
View attachment 2686436
Fully loaded for 2 weeks in Utah
I am building my 1st 80 and reading this has me a bit worried.. mine is a 1993 and I am trying to keep it as light as possible. I got my parts a couple weeks ago dob-direct so not sure which springs I got new or old.. they are the goofy green blue or what ever that color is.. would much rather have black but was never told that was an option, any way the fronts are C97-146VT that are called out as 2.5" and the rears C97-147VT 2". I don't want this rig to be much higher than that. I get it that every one of these on original springs could be sagged at different hight so my starting point could be different then other 80s. but I do expect it to be at the designed height with the new springs. its seems everyone is getting a wide range of final lift.. again I get that every rig will be weighted a little different but they should not vary by inches right, is it just me or is it a crap shoot with these springs what your going to get? if so not sure I even want to take a chance installing these. my rig goes to my suspension guy for install so swapping springs and paying for labor my waisted time taking it back is not my idea of a good purchase. does anyone have experience with the springs I am running?

I specifically bought the 3" Rear Heavy (C97-145VT) to go with the front C97-146VT because I had seen people with the 2" C97-147VT had sagging issues where the rear sat lower than the front.

I am pretty happy with the C97-145VT, which I believe is in spec, however the front C97-146VT seems to have some manufacturing issues where people are seeing different lift heights with the same springs. There are people getting the correct lift heights, I'm just not one of them, and it's not a front end weight issue as I've added 150 lbs to the front end in addition to the winch, sliders, and bumper, and it doesn't make much difference.

Hopefully you got the new batch and it'll work just fine, just try it out and see. The new batch comes in both black and green, so no telling. It's not like you can return it either as there's a restocking fee.

I am building my 1st 80 and reading this has me a bit worried.. mine is a 1993 and I am trying to keep it as light as possible. I got my parts a couple weeks ago dob-direct so not sure which springs I got new or old.. they are the goofy green blue or what ever that color is.. would much rather have black but was never told that was an option, any way the fronts are C97-146VT that are called out as 2.5" and the rears C97-147VT 2". I don't want this rig to be much higher than that. I get it that every one of these on original springs could be sagged at different hight so my starting point could be different then other 80s. but I do expect it to be at the designed height with the new springs. its seems everyone is getting a wide range of final lift.. again I get that every rig will be weighted a little different but they should not vary by inches right, is it just me or is it a crap shoot with these springs what your going to get? if so not sure I even want to take a chance installing these. my rig goes to my suspension guy for install so swapping springs and paying for labor my waisted time taking it back is not my idea of a good purchase. does anyone have experience with the springs I am running?
I’d just go with the flexis, my girlfiend runs them on her lx450 and is getting about 2.5” of lift without sliders or a bumper on. For a lighter 80, they’re definitely the better choice.

Im running C97-146VT in the front and C97-147VT for the rear. My rig has ironman front bumper with 12k, dual battery, gobi roof rack, 4x4 lab dual swing rear bumper with 3 jerry cans and about 150 lbs of camping gear. My front measure 23.2 in from hub to flare and my rear is 23 in from hub to flare. This was order and install in Jan of this year.

Im running C97-146VT in the front and C97-147VT for the rear. My rig has ironman front bumper with 12k, dual battery, gobi roof rack, 4x4 lab dual swing rear bumper with 3 jerry cans and about 150 lbs of camping gear. My front measure 23.2 in from hub to flare and my rear is 23 in from hub to flare. This was order and install in Jan of this year.
That is very similar to how my rig is setup and I am running the same springs.

Are you hitting the rear bumps often? That is my only issue with the setup other than that it's perfect for my use. Im thinking about adding a 10mm spacer in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom