Compustar VMX 2 Way Remote Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a short review on this system in a 100 series.

I had purchased the Compustar VMX 2 way remote start to use in my 2013 F150 (I know, I know) through Best Buy on a Black Friday deal with free install. The truck (F150) is stored outside so I wanted to be able to heat and cool it in the summer and winter. Long story short they require 2 keys for installation, $375 later and I have a fresh Ford key with instructions on how to remote start the truck on the back (rubbed off the one I had). P/O was my FIL and didn't know it had remote start. So now I don't need the Compustar system for the truck. I was hesitant to have Best Buy do the install on the Hundo as I had heard some horror stories about some of the installers. After speaking with the installer I was pretty sure he knew what he was doing and thought I would go ahead and do it on the LC.

A month later and the unit has been awesome. Starts the Cruiser from up to 3000 feet away and works flawlessly. You can also lock and unlock from that same distance. The fob has feedback so it audibly lets you know that the vehicle has started and then flashes lights to tell you how long is has been running (up to 30 minutes). The fob also beeps when you lock or unlock the truck. Anyway I thought I would share my thoughts for anyone looking for a remote start for the 100 series and or a fob that can lock and unlock from more than 10 feet away. Just make sure the installer seems competent prior. I know I could do the install and would assume a most of people on here could do it. The only thing he said that was hard compared to other Toyotas is the ignition wire was harder to find. Sorry I don't have specific info on the install.

Here are the fobs:

Compustar.jpg

The one on the left is the basic remote and the one on the left is the two way remote. Top button is pop the trunk or lift gate if you have that, then start/stop.

Start procedure is hold down Start/Stop for 3 seconds until you here a beep. Cruiser automatically locks, then goes through a sort of preflight check then flashes the lights and starts the engine. you then get audible feedback from the fob that the truck started. To get in and move the vehicle you Unlock, then get in and without touching the brake you turn the key to run, then foot on brake. If you hit the brake the engine dies and must be then started with the key. The times the vehicle runs is adjustable from 5 minutes to 30 and the two way fob tells you how long its been running (flashing lights). To stop the engine hold down Start/Stop for 3 seconds. I guess I should add open the garage prior to remote start, sheesh.

Now its time to change out the original ignition rod and radiator, ugh.

Looks like there is a still a pretty good discount on them. Not plugging Best Buy by any means and I am sure installers are different everywhere so you may want to meet the local one prior to purchase. Also I did not have an integrated Key and Fob like I know many of you have so having a fob and key was not an inconvenience to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom