Compatibility v. Availability 13 BT v. 14 BT or 15 BT (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the benefit of having the electronically controlled pump on the 15b-FTE? There is nothing else on my rig that is electronically or computer controlled.:cheers:

Its main purpose is to make it emissions compliant I think ,but it would probably give you some more HP.
In oz it replaced the 1HD FTE in the Coaster.

Did you read that wiki link? It said the "E"is for intercooled??:confused: Im not sure that is correct as other turbo diesels with E means an electronic brain on to control the pump settings.

For a 40, I would be leaving the electronics behind and turning things up a little

What is the benefit of having the electronically controlled pump on the 15b-FTE? There is nothing else on my rig that is electronically or computer controlled.:cheers:

I think it would be worth a little study to see what sensors/activators are outside the engine and tranny combo of the "E" motor. There might be some useful operation that could be exploited. At the very least you could do as Roscoe says and de-activate the electronics in an informed way.

Rick

Benefits are better starting, less smoke and never having to worry about your ignition timing. Possibly better fuel economy too. If you can pick up an FTE and get it running as stock then I'd do it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Its main purpose is to make it emissions compliant I think ,but it would probably give you some more HP.
In oz it replaced the 1HD FTE in the Coaster.

Did you read that wiki link? It said the "E"is for intercooled??:confused: Im not sure that is correct as other turbo diesels with E means an electronic brain on to control the pump settings.

For a 40, I would be leaving the electronics behind and turning things up a little

Roscoe,
1. read the wiki link first thing this morning and it was very informative. As to the intercooler that actually gibes with info from several sources so I think that it is accurate.
2. I agree that unless the electronic computerized bits are going to give me a plus up they get left behind.

Benefits are better starting, less smoke and never having to worry about your ignition timing. Possibly better fuel economy too. If you can pick up an FTE and get it running as stock then I'd do it.
Dougal,
Great points, these are definitely "plus ups". One of the reasons that I was looking into common rail engines ( this isn't one) was for emissions, just like to see less soot and unburned fuel going out into the atmosphere from my rig if it can be helped.

I think it would be worth a little study to see what sensors/activators are outside the engine and tranny combo of the "E" motor. There might be some useful operation that could be exploited. At the very least you could do as Roscoe says and de-activate the electronics in an informed way.
Rick

Rick,
I agree x2. I have just put in a request to Matt to add the FSMs for both 14BT and 15B-FTE to the manual download site. I'd love to be able to study up on them and really see what added stuff the electronics bring to the table. Then pick and choose to the extent possible,what bells and whistles stay and which go away for a nap .

As we discuss the electronics issue a thought pops up. One of the benefits of the older B engines is that if you decide to run some version of veggie oil, i.e., SVO, WVO or bio-diesel, the older mechanical engines gulp this stuff down. My understanding from the Alternative fuel guys is that the newer diesels definitely have issues accepting veggie variants and low sulfur or bio-dEisel. I wonder, do you guys have any views on whether the electronis of the 15b-FTE would have heartburn with either bio-diesel or anything in the veggie oil, bio diesel, low sulfur fuels family? I really would hate to give up those fueling options, they really made the soot etc, an acceptable trade off. ( Man I'm sounding awfully green in this post:hmm:)
Thanks again.

Guys I am also downloading the EPC so that I can get the part number for the 15B-FTE and the H55f tranny. I want to see exactly what the local Toyota guy can come up with for a price "new". Then off to the salvage guy to see how much better he can do. Again this all could flush down the crapper if I can't get my hands on the engine.

I forgot I had this pic of a 14B in a 55 series which is the same as a 40/45 as far as engine swaps go. It was Indonesian ex military vehilcle
untitled (Small).jpg

hi there ..
I'm LiaU from Sabah, Malaysia ..
i'm new in 4x4 and also to this forum..
in Sabah there are many beast rigs made .. try search them in youtube ..
13BT, 14BT, 15BT or 1UZ or 2UZ .. 1JZ supra also used.
some of them compete in Borneo Safari International Challenge, and some are not ..
many of them only prefer to watch ..
my friend have a HZJ75 using 15B + turboed ..
if i'm not mistaken, he is using his 75's radiator and CT26 turbo ..
this one is not intercooled.
there is another friend of mine using BJ43 which also install 15BT engine + AR ? garret turbo .. this one is using aluminium radiator .. I dont know how he manage to do it ..
this one is using intercooler.
both of them said it's worth to use this engine ..
they said the FC also ok ..
there are no 15BFTE here in Sabah, only 15B and then turboed ..
but not so many..
but there are many 14BT and 13BT available ..
:whoops: telibi sudah...:steer:

hi there ..
I'm LiaU from Sabah, Malaysia ..
i'm new in 4x4 and also to this forum..
in Sabah there are many beast rigs made .. try search them in youtube ..
13BT, 14BT, 15BT or 1UZ or 2UZ .. 1JZ supra also used.
some of them compete in Borneo Safari International Challenge, and some are not ..
many of them only prefer to watch ..
my friend have a HZJ75 using 15B + turboed ..
if i'm not mistaken, he is using his 75's radiator and CT26 turbo ..
this one is not intercooled.
there is another friend of mine using BJ43 which also install 15BT engine + AR ? garret turbo .. this one is using aluminium radiator .. I dont know how he manage to do it ..
this one is using intercooler.
both of them said it's worth to use this engine ..
they said the FC also ok ..
there are no 15BFTE here in Sabah, only 15B and then turboed ..
but not so many..
but there are many 14BT and 13BT available ..
:whoops: telibi sudah...:steer:
LiaU79,
First, welcome to Mud:bounce::bounce2::bounce: The reach of this forum never ceases to amaze me and I'm honored that your first post was in a thread that I started, please come by and visit often, this is a great forum full of really good information and great people.
Second, this is really great to hear that using 14BT and 15BT engines in cruisers is a common set up where you live. Add to that the fact that folks in that very challenging competition run this setup in their competition rigs is really very interesting. Not many people seem to run this setup outside of Malaysia, one or two here in Central America and farther south in Bolivia. It seems that most run these engines with the H55F. What transmissions are your friends running these engines with? What can you tell us about your friend's experiences running these engines in Cruisers?Thanks again for posting and again welcome to Mud,
John

LiaU79,
First, welcome to Mud:bounce::bounce2::bounce: The reach of this forum never ceases to amaze me and I'm honored that your first post was in a thread that I started, please come by and visit often, this is a great forum full of really good information and great people.
Second, this is really great to hear that using 14BT and 15BT engines in cruisers is a common set up where you live. Add to that the fact that folks in that very challenging competition run this setup in their competition rigs is really very interesting. Not many people seem to run this setup outside of Malaysia, one or two here in Central America and farther south in Bolivia. It seems that most run these engines with the H55F. What transmissions are your friends running these engines with? What can you tell us about your friend's experiences running these engines in Cruisers?Thanks again for posting and again welcome to Mud,
John

Kind of makes me want to do a 15B swap sometime. I guess we are a bit spoilt with an abundance of 6 cyl in oz ,so we have never needed to look far for a good landcruiser diesel.

Im always amazed at the klms these B engines clock up carting around 3-4 ton in Dynas.
When you buy sand in small amounts in oz ,it nearly always come in a diesel Dyna:D

Kind of makes me want to do a 15B swap sometime. I guess we are a bit spoilt with an abundance of 6 cyl in oz ,so we have never needed to look far for a good landcruiser diesel.

Im always amazed at the klms these B engines clock up carting around 3-4 ton in Dynas.
When you buy sand in small amounts in oz ,it nearly always come in a diesel Dyna:D

I have seen a H engines here but mostly I've only seen B engines in El Sal. As such I'm looking and hoping that I can find a good 15B.

I spoke to a guy today and gave hime the specs for the three possible engines that I'm trying to source, in order, 15B-FTE, 15BT or 14BT. I'll hit my salvage guy tommorow and hopefully something will develop.

Interesting development

Today I went over to the salvage warehouse to check on the availability of the engine. The owner's son showed me a nice, almost pristine looking 14B. When he asked me what I wanted to put it into I showed him my rig. He smiled and said that I was the first guy to want to try that but it should be no problem. He wanted 3300.00 USD for it. I told him that that was a bit steep and asked how often does he get 14Bs in. He said all the time. I told him that I was really looking for the 15B_FTE. He said that he knew the engine, they didn't have any in stock but that he was putting an order together for his next shipment from Japan. He will call me Monday if his agent can locate one in good condition there. I told him that I was also looking for an H55f to mate it all to and he said that he'd check on that too. Hopefully then I'll get some feedback on Monday. I then went accross the street to the local Toyota dealer to check on the prices of these same items new in order to do a local comparison. The parts folks there wouldn't even look them up in the computer, said that they were for a car that was too old and they had no info for me. I tried to explain to them that while I wasn't sure about the engine I know that the tranny is still sold new and I just needed them to look up a price, they refused and I left. :bang::bang::bang: I guess I'll be giving C_Dan a call on Monday. On the bright side I now know that this can be done here, I can at the very least get the 14B turbo it and roll out.

Today The owner's son showed me a nice, almost pristine looking 14B. When he asked me what I wanted to put it into I showed him my rig. He smiled and said that I was the first guy to want to try that but it should be no problem. He wanted 3300.00 USD for it.

That's about the price of a old, nasty used 2H from suppliers here. Did the guy indicate what the price will be for the 15B-FTE ?

Rick

That's about the price of a old, nasty used 2H from suppliers here. Did the guy indicate what the price will be for the 15B-FTE ?

Rick

Rick,
Really? Wow, I thought that it sounded high just on general principle, that is, first reaction to big prices in Cent Am without any other reference point. (Hence why I went to try to get prices for new ones from Toyota) I'm feeling better about the price quote now. He didn't say, he said first he needed to check to see if he could get one then he would call me with a price. I'll let you know once I hear from him. Is there a Toyota dealer anywhere near you? Anyway you could give them a call and check on prices of a new H55f in this region as well as the 15b_FTE? Didea, has the franchise for El Salvador and I just struck out with them today. It would be nice to get a price of the tranny and the engine new just for reference in price negotiations?
John

Last edited:
Im keeping an eye on this thread.

Ever since i drove a Dyna box body truck (actually the same truck pictured in jb BJ73's post above), powered by a non turbo 15B-F, ive been interested to hear just how well the 15B moves a cruiser along - i think it will go bloody well.

Up until recently i was dead set keen on installing a turboed 15B into my BJ61, but after driving HDJ80's and HZJ105's ive decided coil springs are the way to go. So the old 61 will be sold.

If a 15B-FTE cant be sourced another option would be to purchase a non turbo 15B-F (which is still a 16 valve and is quite a common engine) and add a turbo to it either by using factory parts, or by using a aftermarket kit such as this one from Turboglide

Turbo-Glide: Toyota 15B Turbo Kit

If the factory parts are to be used note that the FT and FTE use different turbo/exhaust manifold setups to each other.

The FT mounts the turbo down low similar to the 1HD-T/FT, while the FTE has its turbo mounted higher up - not as high as a 13/14B-T somewhere in between.

Theres a company called JAWharehouse that have new factory FT and FTE turbos listed on Ebay. If you google the part numbers 17201-58040 and 17201-58070 it will show the Ebay listings. Im not sure if they currently have any auctions running but they pop up now and then.

The bellhousing need to mount the engine to the H41/42/55F gearbox is the ALLOY one from the BJ70/71/73/74

A couple of pictures from the Ebay auctions. The turbo with the 4 hole exhaust housing flange is the FTE while the other is the FT
15B-FTE Turbo 04.jpg
15B-FT TURBO 4.jpg

The turbo listed for the FT is the CT12B.
Possibly the same turbo used on the 1KZ-TE's which are quite common over here.

*edit*
Looks like they went to IHI turbos later on (4 bolt shown by snailtrail). Still looking.

Last edited:
Im keeping an eye on this thread.

Ever since i drove a Dyna box body truck (actually the same truck pictured in jb BJ73's post above), powered by a non turbo 15B-F, ive been interested to hear just how well the 15B moves a cruiser along - i think it will go bloody well.

Up until recently i was dead set keen on installing a turboed 15B into my BJ61, but after driving HDJ80's and HZJ105's ive decided coil springs are the way to go. So the old 61 will be sold.

If a 15B-FTE cant be sourced another option would be to purchase a non turbo 15B-F (which is still a 16 valve and is quite a common engine) and add a turbo to it either by using factory parts, or by using a aftermarket kit such as this one from Turboglide

Turbo-Glide: Toyota 15B Turbo Kit

If the factory parts are to be used note that the FT and FTE use different turbo/exhaust manifold setups to each other.

The FT mounts the turbo down low similar to the 1HD-T/FT, while the FTE has its turbo mounted higher up - not as high as a 13/14B-T somewhere in between.

Theres a company called JAWharehouse that have new factory FT and FTE turbos listed on Ebay. If you google the part numbers 17201-58040 and 17201-58070 it will show the Ebay listings. Im not sure if they currently have any auctions running but they pop up now and then.

The bellhousing need to mount the engine to the H41/42/55F gearbox is the ALLOY one from the BJ70/71/73/74

A couple of pictures from the Ebay auctions. The turbo with the 4 hole exhaust housing flange is the FTE while the other is the FT
Snailtrail
Very interesting info on the need to use a 70 series alloy bellhousing in order to mate a 15b to the H41/42/55f trannys. Given that the 14Bs are here as well and a prudent man covers his options as much as possible, do you know if you need the same 70s series alloy bell housing to mate that to the above listed trannys?
Obviously I aiming towards a 15B also very interesting on the different turbos that can be fitted to either the FT or the FTE. Still good to know that there are two 16 valve versions of this engine.

Snailtrail
do you know if you need the same 70s series alloy bell housing to mate that to the above listed trannys?

Isnt that what the owner of the FJ70 in Bolivia did with his 14B? I think he had to grind the webbing off on the inside to fit the bigger 14B clutch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom