Cold weather starts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,,,, My son is in Colorado and its -2 and the cruiser doesnt want to start so easily, is there a cold weather procedure for cold weather starting??
Like slowly press the gas pedal down to the floor and back up then start? Or does the computer take over?
Thanks

Get a new battery. Interstate works well for me. I'm in ND and it was -27 last night the LC I have been driving regularly and left running almost all day Friday started just fine this morning at -8 but the lx 450 which sat most of the weekend didn't have quite enough charge to turn over. Once it gets closer to 0 degrees I'll get it cranked up and run it for a few hours to get a good charge on the battery. Or get a trickle charger and keep it plugged up and charging when not in use.

Hi All,,,, My son is in Colorado and its -2 and the cruiser doesnt want to start so easily, is there a cold weather procedure for cold weather starting??
Like slowly press the gas pedal down to the floor and back up then start? Or does the computer take over?
Thanks
The computer controls it all.

Keep the battery charged, drive it regularly for more than 15 miles at a time.

Like slowly press the gas pedal down to the floor and back up then start?
That only applies to carbureted motors so that the accelerator pump does no squirt more fuel into a flooded motor. Can't hurt on an EFI motor but most likely will be no benefit.

Thanks!

I had a Sequoia out in Vail back in Jan and the battery was just weak enough to cause a cumbersome startup and sometimes the notorious tick tick tick failure after a few attempts- happened only when is was super cold overnight. I bought a Noco GB70 Booster- it's good for 8 liters gas/ 6liters diesel (bc the battery was fine when it wasnt sub-temps overnight and also I didnt want to replace it!). I just didn't want to get stranded. But once that bad boy was on the engine would turn over like it was mid summer.

But yea, sounds like a CCA battery issue/ not fully charging.

been -30c here for the past few weeks and no problem starting. put a tender on it to keep it fully charged. Suppose you could also plug the block heater in if you have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom