Code 71 help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefarmer

SILVER Star
Threads
I need some help please. I have a 94 fzj. Obd1. I have the dreaded code 71. I live in CA, so deleting it not in the cards.I have done lots of things to try and remedy it, to no avail. Here's what I have done.

I put a vacuum to the egr. I could get it to stumble, but not die. I hooked it up to the small hose that comes from the modulator but didnt plug the other side, so I'm guessing it's good and it was my testing procedure that was lacking.

New modulator- didnt check it, but was old so i replaced it. Also cleaned the port on the egr that goes to the bottom of the modulator.

Cleaned the temp sensor. It didnt have that much buildup.

Replaced the vsv- it ohm'd fine, but I couldn't blow through it, and putting power to it didnt change anything. I did put a dorman vsv on, but I checked it before installation. Also put new hoses on and relocated it.

What am I missing? Should I ohm the temp sensor? And if I do, what should the reading be? I didnt see it in the fsm. Maybe the egr isnt opening all of the way? I'm lost.

On another note, has anyone put the resistor in the temp sensor and passed CA smog? I'm wondering if I could hook up the resistor so that they couldn't see it, but also did it pass the sniffer? I would like to fix it correctly, but I'm running out of patience and brain power. All that's left is a new temp sensor and egr valve.

Thanks. PFA

20210531_153610.jpg

Make sure the small pipe that goes through the intake manifold isn’t clogged. I have a ‘94 also. I ran a vac line from under the manifold to the egr as I could not clear that pipe as I broke a drill bit off in it.
I’ve also pulled the efi fuse to clear the light right before a smog test and passed, my vsv was bad. The light usually took a couple drive cycles to reappear, I don’t know how many times they restart the engine in CA, mine has always passed the pipe test, even when the valve seals were worn and it burned a little oil. Also make sure the ports in the throttle body are clear. I used some copper wire to help clean those out. The passage behind the egr valve in the intake may also be clogged. I had the entire manifold cleaned when I did my head gasket. I replaced the egr valve new Toyota part from autozone, no change, replaced the vac modulator right next to the egr no change. The vsv under the intake was frozen seems like water gets in these parts and rusts them out. Same for the pipe through the manifold. Make sure the other steel pipes are clear also.
Hope this helps.

Make sure the small pipe that goes through the intake manifold isn’t clogged. I have a ‘94 also. I ran a vac line from under the manifold to the egr as I could not clear that pipe as I broke a drill bit off in it.
I’ve also pulled the efi fuse to clear the light right before a smog test and passed, my vsv was bad. The light usually took a couple drive cycles to reappear, I don’t know how many times they restart the engine in CA, mine has always passed the pipe test, even when the valve seals were worn and it burned a little oil. Also make sure the ports in the throttle body are clear. I used some copper wire to help clean those out. The passage behind the egr valve in the intake may also be clogged. I had the entire manifold cleaned when I did my head gasket. I replaced the egr valve new Toyota part from autozone, no change, replaced the vac modulator right next to the egr no change. The vsv under the intake was frozen seems like water gets in these parts and rusts them out. Same for the pipe through the manifold. Make sure the other steel pipes are clear also.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will go about trying to clean the pipes and ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom