Coastal Off Road Rear Bumper Kit On HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didn't see a lot of info on the Coastal Off Road Rear Bumper Kit so wanted to make a post about it. I put it on my 96 HDJ81 with the OEM tire swing out. Reached out to see if they had a military discount and Daniel got back to me and offered a discount, really appreciate it! I used my Everlast PowerTIG 185DV, I've tig welded about 3 times for a total of 10 minutes, so I basically had zero tig experience. I have mig welded a little. Took a few days and got it done. Really hard to do this all as a one man show but doable. I would recommend leaving a little space in-between the frame rail and the bumper for the horizontal bolts, maybe a washer on each side. I pulled the bumper off and welded it, it turned into a very tight fit getting it on. Also used a c clamp to hold one side of the bumper and made it a little uneven, so if you clamp one side clamp the other and don't use too much pressure. I would also tape cardboard on the paint along the rear quarter, I have two very deep scratches now. Other than that pretty straightforward and fun project. I used 2 cans of black steel-it paint. Please do not judge my welds!

Pros
-Looks good!
-Fits well
-Very clean cuts and parts
-2 day shipping
-Fun and challenging DIY project that saved money vs a rebuild bumper

Cons
-Hoops won't fit with the OEM swingout tire carrier. You could cut it and make it fit but I was in a rush so I'll do that another day.
-Trailer hitch isn't rated for any weight and is mounted under the bumper. The website had zero info so I should have asked. I just went back to the old hitch I had.
-License plate holder hits the bumper when you drop the rear bench down.
-Need to modify your exhaust. I cut the hanger off, moved the mount forward, used 2 bolts instead of 4, and cut the bumper (still need to fully weld the hanger on the exhaust and I have a 3" SS exhaust)
- The 9/16″ thick clevis mounts are 3 3/16" sandwiched together so I welded them together in the eye hole so they wouldn't rust from the inside out. I might cut them and replace them with something like this
69335948066__C3BC4373-66CF-4821-B5E4-0B1A0DF07EA5.JPG

69335951042__819C612A-946B-4DF4-94A9-0BDE116BC5E5.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4204.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good to me. My angle grinder makes me the welder I aspire to be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom