Clutch pedal hard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have recently noticed on my 87' JDM BJ70 that while idling my clutch pedal feels hard to press. Once the vehicle is moving the clutch pedal moves much more easily. I had read other threads regarding clutch vacuum problems but I'm not sure how to properly diagnose. Is there a quick troubleshooting procedure that can be used to isolate this problem? I'm scared I'm going to press the clutch pedal through the floorboards one day! Thanks in advance.

You could vacuum test the clutch booster. If its anything like mine it will gradually get worse until it doesn't work at all. Then it will start to effect the brake booster and engine shut of valve. This is what happened to mine. I had to plug the vacuum hose going to the clutch booster so the engine turns of and the brakes work effectively. That is how I worked out it was the clutch booster. The clutch boosters are hard to come by.

Cheers,

Gav.

Clutch booster for sure

Well it's definately the clutch booster that's the problem. Experiencing symptoms only recently so I think I have a bit of time to look for a replacement. Boogie74 ...you mentioned in another thread you purchased a clutch booster in China, how is it working for you?, I'm a bit weary of their quality but the price seems low so it may be worth the gamble. The BJ70 & 74 should have identical parts. I'm actually going to China in a couple weeks, could even pick up and bring back on the plane.

Hey Webb,

I put the new clutch booster in my cruiser four days ago. So far so good. The quality of the Chinese booster
was as good as the Aisin booster that I pulled out. The Chinese one was heavier, don't know if that means its
built better. The clutch pedal is now as light as a feather. It is a massive improvement. The clutch has never
felt so light. It actually took a bit of driving to get used to it.

Here is where I got mine: Part number 31440-60100
TOYOTA CLUTCH BOOSTER CLUTCH BOOSTER,TOYOTA,auto clutch booster

A few manufactures make them but this was the only company that would sell me just one.

Its interesting that this booster was used in the HZJ75 and other cruisers but I still could not get a
secondhand one anywhere. Toyota wanted $1150 and then weren't sure if they could even get one.
They must be pumping them out of the factories in china. I wonder where there all going? Maybe Toyota
manufacture their parts in china?

Then the fun comes in changing it over. Its not hard just fiddley. You need small hands like Mr Toyota:)

Any other questions just ask.

Is there any rebuild kits for these? I think the 60 series may also use the same booster and I think some on this forum have even converted their cruiser to the non vaccuum assisted clutch. Not sure what that entails.

Are you in WA Boogie74?

Hi Rosco,

I priced a rebuild kit from Toyota and it was @ $400. Then you
have to fit the kit which is hard cause it a sealed unit.
Got a quote for a rebuild at the local clutch shop at @ $150
Chinese booster delivered new was $70 USD.

I was chatting with Hulsty when I was looking into my clutch
booster problem. I think he converted a FJ60 or 62 booster to
his FJ73 but the 74 is a bit different. The 74's booster is tucked up
behind the firewall in the cabin above the steering column. The FJ73
is located in the engine bay mountd on a bracket. Pretty sure thats
the difference. Its quite possible that I'm wrong though.
Its also a good time to change yout clutch master. Mine had a small
leak that was barely noticable and I think that contibuted to
the original booster failing. It was in the cruiser for 23 years.
That might of had something to do with it failing.:)

I would love to go wheeling Rosco but I'm in Victoria. Maybe 2500km's from you.
Definitely doing the west coast when I get long service though.
I've heard the fishing is magnificent in WA:D

EDIT: Original Part number 31440-60070 I replaced with 31440-60100. Exact Match.

Hi Rosco,

I was chatting with Hulsty when I was looking into my clutch
booster problem. I think he converted a FJ60 or 62 booster to
his FJ73 but the 74 is a bit different. The 74's booster is tucked up
behind the firewall in the cabin above the steering column.

I would love to go wheeling Rosco but I'm in Victoria. Maybe 2500km's from you.
Definitely doing the west coast when I get long service though.
I've heard the fishing is magnificent in WA:D

EDIT: Original Part number 31440-60070 I replaced with 31440-60100. Exact Match.

Ah yes,the dreaded 13BT turbo is in the way I think.

Fishing is still good but you have to travel these days.
Im still waiting on a friends report of the fishing off the Monte Bellos Islands(old british nuclear test site).
They were going to land on the island,its safe for 1hour apparently:D

Thanks for the information Boogie! I sent an email to that company in China and am awaiting a reply (picked up a couple viruses from there web site though :frown: ...wonder how many other Cruiser parts they source?, might be on to something here! There's sign of a bit of leakage around the clutch cylinder so I'll install a kit then it all should be good as new!

Yep, Its set up that way cause of the turbo.
Not much room in the engine bay.

Fishing is still good but you have to travel these days.
Im still waiting on a friends report of the fishing off the Monte Bellos Islands(old british nuclear test site).
:D

Will they be catching three eyed fish.hahaha:)
Seriously though. Sounds like a sweet spot.

Hey Webby,

Do you have a 13B-T or 3B
Post pics if you need a hand working out what booster you need.

Oh really!!!!!
I use a MacBook so I don't think I get viruses.

I was emailing Summer Liu. She was really helpful.
I hope they help u out.

I have a BJ70 3B engine ...are they the same boosters? The 31440-60070 is specified in Toyota DIY parts for a 1987 BJ70 LX manual.

Hi Webb,

I don't want to confuse you mate. It would be a good idea for u to post some pics just to make sure.
Some pics like I have below. There are so many differences in parts in the 70 series.

Clutch master. An inch to the right from the bottom clutch master
mouting bolt is the vacuum connection.
GoodPhotoofMaster.jpg

Other random pics.
Master1.jpg

Bay1.jpg

OldandNewBoosters1.jpg

There are a couple of different boosters for the shorty and mwb
70's series. Post some pics and it will make things easier.
Also my booster has a sticker on it with a part number. Have a
look if yours has one.

Cheers.

I don't have the booster out yet but snapped a couple pics anyways. From the info I can gather for an 87' JDM BJ70 LX the clutch booster is #31440-60070 and the master cylinder kit is #04311-60040. The 85' Cdn BJ70's have a differant part#, I thought they would be the same?
rsz_3picture_026.jpg
rsz_picture_028.jpg
rsz_picture_029.jpg

Sweet Mate,

Looks like the clutch booster will fit, no probs.

If you can find a new clutch master cylinder for your
cruiser I be interested to know where you get it from.
Couldn't get one in Australia so I ended up putting a
rebuilt kit through mine. If you need any pointers taking
the old booster out repost when you do the booster install.

Cheers Webby,
Looks like your on the right track mate.

Well no luck dealing with China on the clutch booster, they don't reply to my emails so I think I'll give up on them. Does anyone know if a clutch booster from a BJ60 is a direct replacement for a 87' JDM BJ70? I've read that the HJ60 fits. No problem getting a clutch master, there around $180 price range. thanks.

Hi Webb,

Did you try this email: Attention Summer Liu
chinaxpbrake@yahoo.com.cn

Or MSN:
chinaxpbrake@hotmail.com
This was how I first made contact. See was online when I first spoke to her.

Strange cause I found them really good to deal with.
She just emailed me a few days ago to find out what car I put it in and to see if my clutch booster was alright.
Keep trying cause she is very busy. It can take a week or two for her to get back to you. The whole process took me about
6 weeks. I stuck at it cause I has no other option to replace the booster.

Keep us posted if you have luck getting one somewhere else.

Cheers,

Gav.

HAHAHA:) Nice one BJ44

I drove around with mine not working for a couple of months.
It didn't effect the clutch's performance but I'm glad I've got a new one.

Keep on their back Webby:grinpimp:

Well it took a couple months but I received the clutch booster from China (Summer Lui). She was away in Russia so that is why there was a delay in communications with their company. The booster was cheap, it was the DHL cost & money wiring fee that cost, ended up around $150 cdn. Booster fits great, it is so light to push I almost put my foot through the floorboards the first few times. Certainly takes some getting used to, not sure if I like it that soft? The clutch does not engaged until the top of the pedal release, does this mean my clutch is worn (no symptoms) or are all BJ70's like this? Would be interested in other peoples observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom