clutch master problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rat

Threads
so, have a laugh at my latest mistake: my clutch master cylinder has some internal rust - causing leaks past the seals, too deep to hone. I priced a genuine replacement - the cost is ridiculous. So, bright idea - I priced a 4-Runner master cyl. - it's less than one sixth of the cost of the Landcruiser part. The only difference between the two is the bore of the 4Runner master is 2mm (.08") smaller than the Landcruiser's. Otherwise the 4Runner master is a bolt-in fit. The dealer says it should work, because the 4Runner and Landcruiser slave cylinders are the same size... I buy it and fit it, no problem. But guess what - with the push-rod extended to max length it barely frees the clutch enough to let me engage reverse. No free play... So much for saving $... :mad:

Why not buy a aftermarket one that fits. I bought one for my 73 series 60000 klms ago ,still going strong;) and cost $50AUD.

A difference of 2mm bore diameter is quite a bit. There are other options, including having your old one honed and sleeved back to the stock size.

Otherwise, you could probably have a whole new one made at a machine shop for what Toyota charges.

If you can't source one locally, I could have my mother bring out out to Cape Town in a few weeks and she could forward it to you.

~John

thanks for the advice - and John for the kind offer. I'm going to search the local wreckers yards for something that moves enough fluid ...

Just a note about timing... she's leaving for Cape Town as of mid January. Let me know as far in advance as possible and I'll do my best to locate what parts I can.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom