Clutch issues or my imagination. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 87 HJ61 which I try to drive every other week. The clutch pedal seems very soft on it now, like very easy to push. First time I noticed I bled the system and it felt normal but driving today it feels soft again. If I pump on the pedal it will get more firm but that goes away. There are no leaks and I replaced the slave cylinder about 5 years ago because it gave out completely. It drives fine just has a weird clutch feel.

The reason I say imagination, is because the truck I have and drive more often has a really stiff clutch so when I switch between them the 61 clutch feels like it drops to the floor and takes a little bit to get used to again.

Needing to pump the pedal to generate pressure is classic worn out master cylinder or slave.
If you’ve got the cash, replace them both. If not, then just the master.

when you push the pedal once, is the clutch still disengaging? Do you have a vacuum booster associated with the clutch?

Hey Mark - a while back I was getting a soft clutch pedal and having to pump it to make it work. Slave had been replaced previously so I replaced the Master and all good now. I will agree, however, that overall it is a relatively soft pedal. Even my Westy has a stiffer clutch...

@2mbb So the clutch works fine without having to pump it it just feels soft. There is definitely pressure building up when I do pump it a few times. But yea it works fine all the time.

I am thinking the booster/master might need to get replaced or rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom