1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clicking noise when shifting from Reverse to Drive.

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by CruiserMishka, Aug 17, 2006.

1. CruiserMishka

CruiserMishka

Hello to everyone.
    I just bought 2001 TLC with 70000 miles. The car is everything I dreamed about and even more. The only problem is that when I shift from Reverse to Drive or visa versa it makes a strong clicking sound (almost like diff. locker) that seams to be coming from somewhere in drive line.
    I tried searching but found nothing for 100-series.
    Can anyone say if that's something I should worry about.
    Thanks a lot.
    Mishka.

2. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

I would start with lubing the drive shaft and re-torquing the propeller shaft bolt.

[​IMG]

Some level of driveline "thunk" is probably normal but clicking sounds unusual. :confused:

3. UltraFJ40

UltraFJ40 ที่นี่และมี

Same thoughts here. Start with greasing. I think all of the LC's I've owned have had some noise when shifting from Reverse to Drive, especially when still rolling backwards (even slightly).

What did you drive before the Cruiser?

4. CruiserMishka

CruiserMishka

Thanks for replies.
    I guess it's time to pul the grease gun out.
    By the way, are there any other Manuals excluding Toyota factory one that's almost $200?

My daily driver before LC was Nissan 240SX. Extensively modified, a lot of upgrades.
    It's time for a different project!
    sv.jpg ep.jpg

5. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

This Max Ellery Manual is on Amazon. I have one but bought the FSM too. The Ellery reads like a cliff notes with an emphasis on the technical data (torque values ect...). Some of their diagnosis lists are better than the FSM.

[​IMG]

Ellery Website

At Amazon

The Toyota Tech information Site (TIS) will probably be the way to go

http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/

- download what you need each time -or with a cable connection you can probably get the five manuals in a couple of days. People who have done so say that keeping the files orderly is difficult.

You also get the TSBs and other updates. I have the FSM for my 98 and use it alot but would still probably be better off with just using the tech site.

Call Cdan (our MUD parts source) about the manuals. He got me a good deal off the list price.

Contacting Cdan

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  6. CruiserMishka

CruiserMishka

Thanks for your help.
    Manual is in the mail!

7. Tundra61

Tundra61

I purchased an electronic copy of the full service manuall for my LX 470 on e-bay for 2.00 + 5.00 shipping. I didn't save the sellers ID but I know there were several for sale at the time.

8. Gohawks63

Gohawks63

Does the click occur as soon as you brake?

In other words, you go in reverse... brake, shift to drive, drive a short bit and then as soon as you brake, you hear a click.

If that's the case, it's just the pads shifting in the caliper and it's normal. If this is not the case, then I would defer to the above posts about lubrication.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">