Cigarette Lighter Not Working? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So it was definitely crossing I just wasn't sure from where. I figured I would leave it alone but after a couple days the fuse would pop as soon as the car was powered on which sucks cuz that is the radio, mirror, antenna, clock etc go out. I proceeded to remove the cig lighter completely which remedied the problem but now I have to fix it cuz OCD and I want a functioning cig lighter, so I went purchased a replacement from O'reilly. It didn't fit the original plugs so I decided I was going to shave down the new cig lighter to make it fit the stock plugs on the car and while doing so it I noticed where I had gone wrong with the original attempt to repair.

The Orientation of the Cig Lighter prongs inside where aligned wrong

lYAWByd.jpg

They should line up with the open spaces

bwfLTKr.jpg

That did the trick!

4e33BJp.jpg

Last edited:
received_525082074842154.jpeg

Thanks for this thread, it helped me get my cigarette/power socket working tonight. I'm assuming it failed for the previous owner and was never fixed. So am I not supposed to run my 'Coke can' style Engel 12 volt/10 amp inverter on this socket? Sounds like I shouldn't use tyre pumps either? How involved is "upgrading the wiring" or whatever needs to be done? Any photos of that process floating around? Cheers

View attachment 2290656

Thanks for this thread, it helped me get my cigarette/power socket working tonight. I'm assuming it failed for the previous owner and was never fixed. So am I not supposed to run my 'Coke can' style Engel 12 volt/10 amp inverter on this socket? Sounds like I shouldn't use tyre pumps either? How involved is "upgrading the wiring" or whatever needs to be done? Any photos of that process floating around? Cheers
If it were me I'd run new cables from the battery, fused then to distribution block then to a panel with cig, socket, usb, etc.

I think the circuit is fused for 15A? But even with that, is the wiring going to the 12V socket good for that much amperage? I've got my OEM socket up and running, but disappointed to see its output. ~0.8 - 1A? Attempting to charge a portable battery pack, but only seeing ~10W from the truck. Comparatively, the AC charger for the battery pack converts to 24V DC @ 3.75A (90W). Shouldn't I be seeing closer to 45W from the truck?

I've got a Blue Sea 1011 that I'm considering replacing the OEM socket with. It's rated for 15A max. Not that the battery pack will pull 15A, but I don't want the wiring to be my "fuse" - seems like awfully small gauge 🔥

Also, which spade going to the 12V socket is hot? There's a typical 1/4" spade connector, and another that's slightly smaller - like 5mm. I've already buttoned up my dash for now and meant to throw a meter on it but forgot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom