Churn Creek Ticks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Check yourself for ticks if you were on the Churn Creek Run...Doctor cut this little bastard out of my head, alive, sent it in for testing and put me on antibiotics for 5 days.

20190521_151231.jpg

Ugh!

Was just in Midway BC two weekends ago with my wife/kids visiting family. Kids/wife had four ticks in total on them over just two days. Luckily caught them when they were crawling around still. For some reason the ticks didn't go for me. Anyhow, I think it's a bad year for them. Definitely something to watch out for. Glad there was no Lyme in the tick you had.

After decades of messing around in the BC backcountry, and never picking up a tick, I've had 3 in the past two years.
Definitely becoming more of a problem...

I check the dogs and Patti daily for ticks while camping, after one of the pups had a big one last year. Thankfully nothing at Churn. Good to hear you're ok for Lyme. Since you can't feel them biting, use your hands to go over your hair especially, and they'll hide in your clothing as they make their climb upwards, so when you go to bed it's a good idea to change and put your camping clothes in a sealed plastic bag and check yourself after you've undressed.

I check the dogs and Patti daily for ticks while camping, after one of the pups had a big one last year. Thankfully nothing at Churn. Good to hear you're ok for Lyme. Since you can't feel them biting, use your hands to go over your hair especially, and they'll hide in your clothing as they make their climb upwards, so when you go to bed it's a good idea to change and put your camping clothes in a sealed plastic bag and check yourself after you've undressed.
Thanks! Next time I'll be way more careful! 😊

Gary T got a tick after just taking a quick picture in the sage overlooking Churn. I've had two over the years and it's important not to tear the tick in half because if its body contains Lyme's bacteria then it could spread into your bloodstream. You are supposed to grasp the tick with tweezers and gently tug until it lets go. In any case, save the tick in a pill container and get checked with a blood test and if necessary get on antibiotics ASAP. There are a lot of myths about removing ticks such as with a burning cigarette, or by unscrewing ticks in the northern hemisphere or unscrewing the opposite way in the southern hemisphere! Anyway take care and check it out if you get one.
~Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom