Check Everything! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been running into 1 major and 1 annoyance issue with my FJ40 since it's been drivable.
- fuel starvation (fuel not getting to the carb)
-whistling sound coming from the under carriage (while sitting still as well as driving)

Here's what i've done:
-added fuel pressure gauge
-replaced most rubber fuel lines
-rebuilt fuel pump and tested. Also purchased a replacement fuel pump just to have on-hand
-checked for random leaks
-scratched my bald head

Finally, i decided to drain the fuel tank and check to see if it had any issues. It's a PVC tank, and all of the fuel lines are on the top of the tank. i removed the pickup tube for the first time and scratched my head a little. it didn't look right. It just looked short. so i measured it, and here's what i found. it's about 2" shorter than it should be. So, I was running out of fuel, even when I had about 2 or 3 gallons of fuel remaining.
And the whistling sound? it was suction from the fuel pump sucking air from the tank. you know when air is blown across a straw or tube held at just the right angle? that's what was happening.

crazy...

20190922_110610.jpg

Man, I have been in the same boat before!....You can't take anything for granted when hunting down problems on a 50 year old truck that's been through God knows how many hands.

Right. I've convinced myself to stop feeling like an idiot anything I encounter something like this. I spent 2 weeks looking for the problem. But it's cool.

Right. I've convinced myself to stop feeling like an idiot anything I encounter something like this. I spent 2 weeks looking for the problem. But it's cool.

The bright side is, you can legitimately blame this one on the PO - and when you blame him/them for stuff in the future, people will believe you! :smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom