Check engine light and rough idle and drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had my first problem today with my '99 cruiser. Was a idleing rough at a light then after driving another 100 yards the check engine light went on, and remained on and running really rough. Turned around and went home 1/2 mile away and parked it. Also noticed an odd smell once in the garage. No visible smoke though. Any thoughts, o2 sensor? 97000 miles. First problem. Is it safe to drive to the dealer in the morning, or do I risk damage?

Almost sounds like when I had the problem with the Apps and TPS, and later the car went into limp mode or could be a minor matter.

Doubt it's an o2 sensor. Board experience on the o2 sensor is "CEL sets and no change in vehicle performance. Install new sensor and no light but no change in performance."

For a uneducated guess I would say mass airflow sensor or a failed coilpack. Pull the CEL code and you'll have a lot better idea.

Was idleing rough at a light then after driving another 100 yards the check engine light went on. Is it safe to drive to the dealer in the morning, or do I risk damage?

It won't harm the engine to drive it to the dealership in "limp mode" but you won't have much acceleration to blend with the traffic. On the way, I'd stop by one of the national chain auto parts stores and have them pull the trouble code with their scan tool. It's usually free and will give you some idea of the problem before turning your wallet over to the dealer.

Thanks, was the coil pack, got it replaced and all is good now.

Total cost was $93.00 after a 15% discount from the dealers website.

Had a PO305 today. Wife was itching to head to Tahoe to stage for skiing. Changed the #5 coil with a replacement from Autozone. Worked fine. Will order an OEM coil tohave as a back up . Thanks for the info! Saved the dday;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom