Chasing suspension issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2013 LX570
I've been chasing a ride quality issue, I thought I had it fixed but turned out to be wrong. I test drove another LX570 and it didn't have the same drivability issue. I attached my gopro to various points of the car and hope that I've isolated it to the rear wheels. This video is going about 20mph over smallish bumps and it appears the wheel comes of the ground, does anyone see anything that I should diagnose? I took it to 2 different lexus dealerships and they were only able to tell me that the shocks weren't leaking so they were good. Thanks in advance.

This is the same bump from the passenger's side. You can even hear something rattling/popping?

Your links to google drive don't have permissions for us to view.

Your links to google drive don't have permissions for us to view.
Fixed? I changed permissions but I may have to update the link.

Yup!

Front Right, you can hear the rattle noise muffled so I'm thinking the problem is at least near the rear right?

Not sure if there's any helpful information in these numbers but I finally got techstream up and running. If anyone sees anything off please let me know?

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

Interested to see what the diagnosis is . . .

It seems like there isn't enough rebound or dampening. In a "regular" suspension, I'd say the shock is shot, but since you have AHC, I have no idea.

Can you take a picture of the suspension globes. You can see them underneath between the frame rail and side steps.

I know you said they were replaced. All of them? Many of your symptoms are consistent with failed suspension globes. It just doesn't seem to have the right suspension impact handling. From your vids, the tire is rolling straight and true and not really deflecting, which leads me back to suspension.

Can you take a picture of the suspension globes. You can see them underneath between the frame rail and side steps.

I know you said they were replaced. All of them? Many of your symptoms are consistent with failed suspension globes. It just doesn't seem to have the right suspension impact handling. From your vids, the tire is rolling straight and true and not really deflecting, which leads me back to suspension.

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

They do look fairly new.

The other main component governing damping is the damping force controllers. It is what the globes mount to. I don't know if a failure in the motors or controllers here would show a MIL code. Or there's potential for debris or contamination of the orifices where it's unlikely to report errors.

If you believe the problem is at the rear axle, you might try replacing the two at the rear. Indicated as No.1 gas chamber in this diagram, but it is the component the globes mount to. Might be able to get take-offs to minimize the expense.

1593715259190.png

I like where @TeCKis300 is going, but I wonder if it might just be the shocks are done . . . I understand they are nothing but fluid containers, but they do have valving in them, and perhaps it's just a mechanical failure in the shock. Not an expert on this for sure, just guessing.

Bonus, shocks are not expensive. . . .

I like where @TeCKis300 is going, but I wonder if it might just be the shocks are done . . . I understand they are nothing but fluid containers, but they do have valving in them, and perhaps it's just a mechanical failure in the shock. Not an expert on this for sure, just guessing.

Apparently these are pretty expensive, around 1k for the front installed if I recall correctly. They've said they are good because they aren't leaking but like you said I wonder if something else can be wrong with them without leaking?

They do look fairly new.

The other main component governing damping is the damping force controllers. It is what the globes mount to. I don't know if a failure in the motors or controllers here would show a MIL code. Or there's potential for debris or contamination of the orifices where it's unlikely to report errors.

If you believe the problem is at the rear axle, you might try replacing the two at the rear. Indicated as No.1 gas chamber in this diagram, but it is the component the globes mount to. Might be able to get take-offs to minimize the expense.

View attachment 2359541
It looks like $800 for a used one, is there any sort of diagnostics I can do or is it a try and see only type of thing?

I guess depends where you're looking.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 12.42.02 PM.png

If you want any component to try and swap out, pay for shipping and you can have any of my used parts.
Bet! I'll take whatever you have that you think might help. I can send you a prepaid shipping label.

This is absolutely plausible as well! I'd attack this before attacking the what I suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom