chasing an electrical gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my door open light started 1/2 lighting itself up, I assumed it was the driver side door switch that was the issue so I took it apart and replaced it with a new switch. Seemed fine for a while and then it resurfaced. Then I thought it might be the reach hatch switch failing. But instead of replacing that, I was driving and happened to turn on my rear defrost and the open door light went out, briefly.
Then it got fully illuminated, like the door was all the way open and the flickery light was solid. Shortly after, my rear diff lock light started 1/2 way lighting up. This light is right next to the open door light. I twisted my locker knob and the light acted "normal" by blinking at me and not locking the locker as the CDL was not engaged. I'm wondering if this is light bleeding over to the Rear Diff Lock light...
I am pretty confused at this point. Over the weekend I"m going to revisit the door switches but why would my diff lock light be trying to light.

This all looks to me like a bad ground somewhere. Where should I start digging around?

my door open light started 1/2 lighting itself up, I assumed it was the driver side door switch that was the issue so I took it apart and replaced it with a new switch. Seemed fine for a while and then it resurfaced. Then I thought it might be the reach hatch switch failing. But instead of replacing that, I was driving and happened to turn on my rear defrost and the open door light went out, briefly.
Then it got fully illuminated, like the door was all the way open and the flickery light was solid. Shortly after, my rear diff lock light started 1/2 way lighting up. This light is right next to the open door light. I twisted my locker knob and the light acted "normal" by blinking at me and not locking the locker as the CDL was not engaged. I'm wondering if this is light bleeding over to the Rear Diff Lock light...
I am pretty confused at this point. Over the weekend I"m going to revisit the door switches but why would my diff lock light be trying to light.

This all looks to me like a bad ground somewhere. Where should I start digging around?
What year truck?

1994 FZJ80

Look at the little triangles indicating the (7) ground points on the truck. Appears to be the same 93-97 at least.

1645810853217.png

1645810881286.png

1645810909515.png

Is this just happening with the front doors and dome light over the front sears, or does it happen with the rear doors too? Any issues with your radio?

I replaced my sunvisors with ones from a Lexus sedan, and did not rewire the new ones. I had electrical tape over the wires and one came off and kept grounding. Shorted out my radio and my dome light for only the front seats. Once I figured it out, I was so happy that I didn't have to dig further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom