Chainsaw advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am definitely still coming, I was pre-assembling some of my camping kit today :D I am following Skillet down on Thursday.

When are you coming down?

I am definitely still coming, I was pre-assembling some of my camping kit today :D I am following Skillet down on Thursday.

When are you coming down?

Friday Night.

I'll be looking for Skillets rig.

Hopefulley he has enough room for My Tow Rig, trailer, FJ40.5 as well as the FJ60 (Beagle Chariot) since the wife will be driving it with the kids.

I am bringing some firewood as well. :D

I have an Old Contra Lightening and an 07 and an 07S still in the original box. As well as one of the STIHL Go-Kart engines and an 030 that has never been serviced.

I also have a Contra Lightening 06 Super. It's 168cc or something like that. If I recall, only 12 or 14 were ever made. The piston is about 10mm bigger in diameter than a true 090 piston.

Hi!
My name is Marco from Italy.
I've got 3 stihl contra, two of them are 106 cc. (58mm. bore), one is a contra s (137 cc., 66 mm. bore).
I read many stories about stihl contra / stihl 090 oversized, with about 159-164 cc. displacement but i was not able to know the exact bore and stroke of such special engines. can you help me? Have you got any further information, pictures,...? can you post pictures of your lightening super cylinder/piston?
Thanks,
marco

I should be able to get some pics this weekend.

Hi!
My name is Marco from Italy.
I've got 3 stihl contra, two of them are 106 cc. (58mm. bore), one is a contra s (137 cc., 66 mm. bore).
I read many stories about stihl contra / stihl 090 oversized, with about 159-164 cc. displacement but i was not able to know the exact bore and stroke of such special engines. can you help me? Have you got any further information, pictures,...? can you post pictures of your lightening super cylinder/piston?
Thanks,
marco

Nat,

when you get a saw get an extra bar and a few loops of chain. I like to have 2 bars with me if I'm any distance from my shop. If you get the bar pinched you can remove the saw from the bar, throw on the other bar and keep going/cut out the first bar....Obviously best to not pinch the bar in the first place but chit happens.....

Best,
Rob M

PS you can make a sweet chainsaw scabbard out of hockey sticks too:D

Is the Poulan Pro 42cc 18 inch a decent saw these day? Have they gotten better? I bought one today and wonder if I should get something else that would be comparable at $160? Use is around the house now, but may cut a cord in the future.

Yeah, I bought it new at Lowes. Are Green Husqvarna's good or are they the "I wish I had spent the other hundred" option?

Is there an apple to apple comparison to a Stihl or Stihl shadow brand?

I'm just looking for something to use as a homeowner (I only have an acre of trees) and since I have a wood stove now will probably go cut eventually, but I bought my last 1/2 cord.

Ever since Poulan bought Husqvarna the low end Huskies (sold at lowes) became orange Poulans, they are not near the same quality as Husqvarnas older cheaper saws or especially their current or former pro saws, I would put both the orange and green "Poulans" below even Stihls homeowner saws, but stuhls home owner saws cost more.

having said that if you only have an acre of land and only use it occasionally it will probably be just fine for you, I had a Poulan "wild thing" that lasted me fine on a wooded acre, got used twice a year max, when I moved up to 6 acres of virgin live oak it was not enough saw and started falling apart, I bought a Husqvarna 372XP, totally different animal but 4 times the cost.

ahh, got it backwards,

i will brag by saying my husqvarna 51 has been sitting on the shelf all summer. Got it out last week to cut a small tree leaning against the house as well as a few smaller trees that had bent over or grown over the trail in the woods behind the house. Set it out in the sun for about 5 minutes (I find this helps start any power tool, motorcycle ect...) to let it warm up. Filled it up with fuel, 3 pulls and she fired right up. Cut like a knife!!!!!!

Is a MS 180 at $200 (although the bar is 14in) be a better choice?

If you had to buy a first saw, not knowing how much you are going to use it, what would it be?

Is a MS 180 at $200 (although the bar is 14in) be a better choice?

If you had to buy a first saw, not knowing how much you are going to use it, what would it be?

sounds like you can still return the Poulan? is budget an issue? if not yes return it and get either a Stihl or real Husqvarna,

cant help you on a not knowing how much you are going to use it, that you are going to have to figure out, the more you use it the more a better tool will pay off.

for me, Were I starting over, I would start with a small high quality saw knowing it would eventually compliment a bigger saw, something like a Husqvarna 346XP or Stihl ms260, if you get into bigger logs later you'll need a larger saw but you will still want the smaller saw for smaller jobs as hauling around the big saw all day will wear you out, and when you are tired you get lazy and are more likely to be injured, if you find the small saw does everything you need you are done, take care of it and it will last your lifetime or until you loan it to your neighbor and he strait gases it. get safety gear also.

If you want to try to do it all with one saw your going to need to go for a more middle size saw and deal with the weight.

Yes, it is still in the box! I bought it because I saw it when I was getting a leaf blower/vac and I need one to cut up some logs. I was thinking budget when I saw it because it was on sale and I had a $25 dollar off if you spend $250, so I bought it with the leaf blower. I don't like headaches and I can afford more, just hard to justify it right now to cut a few logs.

I'm going to return the poulan and probably get a stihl or husky. It seems like more people are happy with the Stihl brand, which was actually my first thought a month ago when I decided to get one. I don't remember my Dad ever complaining about his.

Anyone know the Stihl equivalent of the husky 455 rancher? I can get a 455 for $359 from a local dealer and that seems like a really good price.

Seems like the ms270 w/20 in. bar is close at list price of $420.

At this level saw- Is there anything I should consider for one over the other?

the 455 has a plastic crankcase, I guess it is their mid range saw? a magnesium case would to hold its dimensions better over time, the XP line has such, don't know anything about the ms270,

Plastic for a crankcase?? Who would-a thunk it!! I need to get more current with small gas engines these days. Glad I asked.......!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom