Center Diff / Part Time 4wd question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

first time posting here. I've had a 96 FZJ80 for a little over a year. !H8MUD has been an awesome resource and this is the first time I haven't been able to find an answer to my question by searching!

My truck is a 1996 FZJ80, factory locked. It was converted by a previous owner to part time 4WD and has WARN manual lock hubs. Before belonging to me, the truck was a dedicated wheeling rig for a few years. The owners before me took decent care of it, but often mods done to it were DIY, not using "kits" or the typical methods on MUD and elsewhere. Since owning the truck, I've been trying to track down all the quirks and restore it to a reliable truck as well as an off-road beast.

I'm a bit stumped with the part time 4wd conversion. From what I've read, the typical way to do it would be to remove the viscous coupler and add a spool to the Diff so that when the CDL is unlocked, no power goes to the front, and when the CDL is locked (and hubs are engaged) its a 50/50 split front to back. So you need to engage the CDL and the hubs in order to engage 4wd.

What I appear to have is a Center Diff that is always locked regardless of the button. Front drive shaft spins even when the CDL button is not engaged. So any time I lock the hubs, I'm in 4wd. I'm trying to figure out what was done to achieve this. If possible, I'd like to get it to not engage the front drive shaft when not in 4wd. The truck drives fine with the hubs unlocked, so the viscous coupler must be removed.

Other observations:
1. There is no light that I can see anywhere indicating CDL locked/unlocked.
2. ABS light may be disabled/covered with tape. There appear to be two lights on the dash that have been very masterfully covered with electrical tape (I didn't even notice for 6 months!). I'm assuming ABS and CEL since I've never seen them illuminated, even at startup.
3. F/R lockers will engage in Low or in High with the CDL button depressed. (they just flash if the CDL button is not depressed).
4. Pushing the CDL gives the click and whirring sound like it ought to.
5. Steering is lousy all the time which also suggests the center may be locked all the time.
5. I jumped the CDL switch harness and still no lights illuminated - likely disabled.

Any thoughts on what may be going on or what might have been done to get here?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom