Center console replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spent some time with a drill and some prefab parts and built a replacement center console for my 87 4Runner. The old one was beat to hell, missing pieces, didn't lock closed, sat too low, and wiggled like crazy when any weight was put on it.

Had a 5.5" x 20" box tube built out of 14 gauge sheet metal at a local sheet metal place and had them drill the 3.5" holes for cupholders.

Drilled it out to mount into the original mounting holes for the old tupperware junk and mounted it up.

Bought a 7" tall 50cal ammo box online and bolted that to the box tube. Then built a elbow pads for the top out of some 3" high density foam and marine vinyl offcuts I bought at a sewing store and attached to a piece 3/4"plywood. Mounted that to the lid of the ammo can and viola... new center console.

If I had it to do over again I would probably only have the box tube made 3.5" tall instead of 5.5" tall, as the elbow height is a bit much, and I'm 6'4", and the cupholders are a bit deep.

Also I'd probably let myself know that the ammo can lids are removable and I don't have to fight with box and lid to mount the elbow pad or fight with the lid while drilling holes to mount the can to the tube.

Still to do: I need to decide if I'm painting it or letting the raw steel weather to match the root-beer-brown-and-rust look the truck has going on. I also need to jam some plywood into the tube up front to raise the bottom of the cupholders and figure out how I'm going to make the cupholders work for cups and cans of various sizes.

Anyway, this kept me sane for a couple weekends. Now back to the doors.
signal-2020-06-08-193649-3.jpg
signal-2020-06-08-193649-2.jpg
signal-2020-06-08-193649-1.jpg
signal-2020-06-08-193649.jpg

That looks very good. Can't beat that for durability, plus you got the cup holders.

That was the goal. I needed something the kids could step on while climbing into the back, and the dog could stand on and bark. I think it fits the bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom