CB antenna on a swingout tire carrier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of getting a Cobra 75 and a 5' firestik and mounting the firestik to the Kaymar tire carrier. The 5' stik puts it a little higher than my ARB rack and allows the ant, to be mounted closer to the center of the rear of the truck as opposed to the sides where our tight trails will beat it up. It also allows me to strap it so it doesnt whip tto much. I'd like to feel confident that it will work for a few miles range on the highway and trails. Right now we use the two way radios and they work alright but a number of the trucks just have CB's

BTW - This will be used only a handful of times throughout the year on my '94
FZJ80. Thoughts?

To this non-expert, it seems like a bad spot from a wave propagation point of view.

To this non-expert, it seems like a bad spot from a wave propagation point of view.

The question is how limiting will the location really be? Is it that much worse than off the rear bumper? The front bumper, or a door jamb mount? Hmmmmmmmmm! Questions!

Watching with interest. I think if you get the antenna up above the roof line enough and have the antenna properly grounded, it's be no worse and probably better than a front bumper installation. You're up a little higher. Obviously, it's not as good as a roof installation or even probalby a mag mount on the roof, but not a bad choice.

I'd been leaning toward a Diamond K-400 3/8-24 mount for the hatch. I use the K-400C for my ham antenna and like it. They aren't cheap at $70-75 (Universal Radio vs HRO), but good quality and would get just a 3' antenna up even higher. You may want to consider that.

Watching with interest. I think if you get the antenna up above the roof line enough and have the antenna properly grounded, it's be no worse and probably better than a front bumper installation. You're up a little higher. Obviously, it's not as good as a roof installation or even probalby a mag mount on the roof, but not a bad choice.

I'd been leaning toward a Diamond K-400 3/8-24 mount for the hatch. I use the K-400C for my ham antenna and like it. They aren't cheap at $70-75 (Universal Radio vs HRO), but good quality and would get just a 3' antenna up even higher. You may want to consider that.

Pretty sad responses. I had to turn to the Early Bronco community that I wheel with to get some answers. I'll let you know what I find out from them. This section of the forum doesn't appear to get much action.

It's ok, but not many Kaymar's. It's a pretty specific answer. I may head over to a place called The Solder Joint here in SoCal that's been recommended by a good friend who used to have a slick 80 with a Kaymar.

The Diamond mount is very slick, but I'm worried that even with a 3' CB antenna on it that one good whack by a tree limb and it'd break. Was nearly ready to pull the trigger when I saw your post and figured I'd see if you came up with anything before I bought the Diamond! I think a mount with a heavy duty spring and quick disconnect with a 6' antenna would work just fine there. It's just a matter of securing the spring to the Kaymar. I think that tab is sturdy enough.

Pretty sad responses. I had to turn to the Early Bronco community that I wheel with to get some answers. I'll let you know what I find out from them. This section of the forum doesn't appear to get much action.

well, forgive us for the sad responses...

I have mine mounted on the swing out spare tire carrier (passenger side) and it works fine. Mine's a 4' firestick. It sticks up above the softtop about 12". I do have to tie it down when we're trailering it somewhere. In that location, it is more protected and I haven't had any trouble. :cheers:

bigndn - big difference in the height of an 80 vs a 40. Borrowed a buddy's 4' firestik and held it at the Kaymar mounting point Flacrusher and I are discussing and it barely reaches the roof line. No good with just a 4' antenna on our wagons. Now...if a 2' or so mount extension could be fabed, then you'd be talking!

bigndn - big difference in the height of an 80 vs a 40. Borrowed a buddy's 4' firestik and held it at the Kaymar mounting point Flacrusher and I are discussing and it barely reaches the roof line. No good with just a 4' antenna on our wagons. Now...if a 2' or so mount extension could be fabed, then you'd be talking!

Yes, you have a point there, I was following e9999s lead about the wave propagation.......although I bet my 40 is higher than your 80. :flipoff2:

Since we're talking mounting location vs. height above roofline, I don't see what would be so difficult about a mount extension, it should be easy to fab. You could weld a piece of 1" square tube onto the Kaymar and then a 1"X2" piece of flatstock onto the top of that to mount the antenna. :cheers:

edit: since the OP only needs it a half dozen times per year, you could bolt it on.

.......although I bet my 40 is higher than your 80. :flipoff2:

Since we're talking mounting location vs. height above roofline, I don't see what would be so difficult about a mount extension, it should be easy to fab. You could weld a piece of 1" square tube onto the Kaymar and then a 1"X2" piece of flatstock onto the top of that to mount the antenna. :cheers:

Hmmm.....an 80 lifted with an INTI rack up top....Not sure you're higher. :D

Looking right now for some type of extension of a couple of feet! Don't have any welding skills, but a bolt on extension is exactly what I'm looking for. That and a 4' Firestik Firefly antenna and I'd be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom