Casner Mountain 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I just received the following email from the US Forest Service regarding the permitting period for 2017. If someone wants to step up and plan this trip that would be great, or I can do it - Just let me know.

With the limit of 10 vehicles, this run fills up fast. A waiting list will be generated. I did not run the trail last year, but put the ROTM together. I ask that I am able to make the run this year (assuming it works out weekend wise for me).

One thing to avoid is doing this run on a holiday weekend. The Rim above Sedona gets crazy on holiday weekends and should be avoided.

Good morning all….hope y’all are having a great 2017….I wanted to give you folks a heads up that the Casner permit season will open up for reservations on MARCH 1…Please be aware of a few guidelines before making a reservation:

1. No PERMITS are required for those vehicles less than 62”
2. For those vehicles larger than 62” the permit season for 2017 is MAY 15-OCTOBER 15
3. No CAMPING OR CAMPFIRES allowed between the gates for permit holders
4. The FREE Permit is valid for one day for that week long reservation (will reserve Monday-Sundays when possible)
5. No less than 3 vehicles, no more than 10 vehicles, and groups smaller than 25, PLEASE!!
6. Permits will be mailed this year, when received, please sign it, and have it on your person while traveling on this road
7. Both gates have combination locks that can be opened with the same combo that is published on the permits

Thanks for the heads-up, Brice! If nobody else is interested in organizing this run, I'll do it. I was lucky enough to be 1 of the 10 to run it last year so I'd be happy to only do camping and just ride shotgun with someone. :)

Edit: anyone have an opinion on running in Spring vs Fall? Foliage was great in October but it could be nice to experience the rim at a different time of year.....

Last edited:
Since it's such a popular run could run more then once. Being cool on top makes it a good summer time run as well. Better after the monsoon starts and fire restrictions are lifted making okay for campfires.

I ran it the last two years (last with was a last minute with the FJ Cruiser club who had a opening) but would like to go again.

Since it's such a popular run could run more then once. Being cool on top makes it a good summer time run as well. Better after the monsoon starts and fire restrictions are lifted making okay for campfires.

I ran it the last two years (last with was a last minute with the FJ Cruiser club who had a opening) but would like to go again.

Even with the fire ban we have the propane fires in a can so pre monsoon camping is still an option.

Abigail, I'm in for Casner Mountain. Get the last weekend of the year if you can.

Abigail, I'm in for Casner Mountain. Get the last weekend of the year if you can.
That would be October 14-15. Perfect weekend.
I am in as well.

It makes me smile to see this run becoming a yearly event!
As the dates get firmed up, maybe I can look at another alternative route (less dramatic for sure) to get others out for camping.
That is, if our numbers exceed the permit allotment.

I have missed this for 2 years running. I'm in

Lol at this rate all the slots will be filled 6 months before the ROTM post even goes up! :rofl:

May just have to do it twice. Once early in the summer and one at the end

We are game most definitely

I ran this 2 years ago and would love to get in on this year's if there's room still.

Fall works better for me. Busy this spring/summer clearing and thinning our property up north. June is the hottest month of the year. By mid July monsoon hopefully will have started.

If there is a shortage of volunteers to apply to lead a run I'd willing to lead one. Are permits only for weekends or all week. If all week try for one Friday and one Saturday. I'm sure I could get Friday off.

Fall works better for me. Busy this spring/summer clearing and thinning our property up north. June is the hottest month of the year. By mid July monsoon hopefully will have started.

If there is a shortage of volunteers to apply to lead a run I'd willing to lead one. Are permits only for weekends or all week. If all week try for one Friday and one Saturday. I'm sure I could get Friday off.

We are talking about 2 runs I think. One early one late to accommodate schedules and group size as the run is really popular.

I will make the reservation for the October weekend.

It will be Friday October 13th - Sunday the 15th, with the Casner Mountain Trail being run on Saturday the 14th.

I'm waiting for responses of interest for an earlier run. If I get a few I'll make a reservation for June before the monsoon starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom