Casey? Whazzup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the boys stay the night at your place or did they press on? If you are babysitting my cruiser, I thank you!
:beer:

Ed

Aun2th@aol.com

I've been rejected ....... twice

Well the trip was uneventful 'til we hit the Iowa state line. Within two miles the near white-out conditions started... blowing snow, etc.

We had seen a sign advising I-35 north of Ames was closed but it didn't say why. I figured construction or an accident or something.... after all I checked the weather conditions for Kansas City, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids and St. Louis and everything looked fine. I never checked anything in Iowa... I wasn't planning on stopping there . A quick call to Casey confirmed that it was in fact snowing in Des Moines and I-35 between Ames, IA and Minnesota was or had been closed because of 18 inches of snow

The closer we got to Des Moines the more vehicles that were in the ditches but I still wasn't too worried. If it got too bad we were gonna pull the 40 off the trailer and drive it into Des Moines and wait out the storm. As we got to the first underpass on the south side of town we could see a bunch of cars in the ditch just past the bridge....... ummm something didn't look right....... ICE. Yep we hit the ice under the overpass at about 50mph. The truck started turning left, back end first and the trailer, with Ed's beautiful 40 on it, was trying to beat us out the other side . I said a quick prayer which was immediately answered as Phil switched the D-Max out of overdrive and mashed the trailer brake controller all in one split second. This got the trailer back behind the truck and got the truck slowed down without touching the truck brakes.

Another quick call to Casey I was informed that he had secured a garage to store Ed's 40 until we decided what we were going to do the next morning, two bed's at Casey's house and a truck and trailer to haul the 40 the rest of the way to Poser's the following weekend if we were unable to complete the trip this weekend. WOW..... JUST WOW!!!!!

A hot meal, a Shiner, some casual conversation, two playful dogs and one warm soft bed and I was done.... just slap wore out! (just a side note here.... Poser I hope that you called me about 12:30 this morning, otherwise I was dreaming about you and that's just weird )

We got up this morning to hot coffee and some breakfast at the neighborhood cafe and Phil and I were feeling much better. I made a couple phone calls and checked the MI, IA, IL and IA DOT websites and we decided that none of the parts or the parts truck I was headed north to get was worth the risk so we headed for home.

Cruiser folks ROCK! Flat out, no doubt about! Phil is an off-roader was well and knows as well I do that most of the folks won't leave ya the trailer. He learned today that Land Cruiser folks just won't leave ya......

ANYWHERE!

A very special THANK YOU to Casey Campbell (Land Schmoozer) and his wife Deb and dogs Charlie and ?????? I forget (sorry), Poser for all his help checking road conditions and keeping us updated AND being the kind if person that Casey and his LC buddy is Des Moines who has volunteered to finish the trip that I couldn’t because he wanted an "excuse" to meet the man and discuss having some work done and my friend, boat mechanic and engine builder Phil Gray of Certified Marine Repair in Wichita, KS (shameless plug I know but PM me for his phone number for boat repair in KS, MO, OK and AR) for volunteering his '03 Chevy dually D-Max for this trip and then driving two days for no other reason the to help a friend!

I also have to thank the TLCA and the MUD board for bringing me to know these folks. As Nick Stone (IIRC) recently said, "It's not the trucks, it's the people."

I give glory to the Lord for getting us far as he did, providing for our needs and getting us back home safe and sound. Thank you!

Ed, I'm sorry we didn't get as far as we hoped, but I know it's in good hands. Oh and guess what.... I got to wheel it in the snow .... okay so it was only 20 feet, but still

Mike, Your trip up north has a uncanny familiarity about it. I can relate to the ice, only my trip to Racine, Wi. is already 5 years old. If I had it to do all over, I would have turned back. Bet your knuckles got nice and white while driving on the ice? Rick

what is it with us lunatics from kansas...the only time we can go fetch cruisers and parts is in the winter?:doh: ...that makes 4 winter fun trips that i have heard about and participated in one...maybe we should wait for spring

osagecruiser

Let me add another:

Went to Carbondale,IL Feb. 16th to pick up another FJ80 for another brother (makes 3 of us) and got hit with that "minor accumulation" just outside of Columbia,MO. It took us 5hrs from there...the norm cars off the road everywhere,blowing hard,ice and snow.
Broke the cruiser in.

what is it with us lunatics from kansas...the only time we can go fetch cruisers and parts is in the winter?:doh: ...that makes 4 winter fun trips that i have heard about and participated in one...maybe we should wait for spring

osagecruiser

Kansans evidently have really bad timing!!!!!
CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom