Carpeting: To Re-Use or Replace; that is the question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Feb 27, 2022
Threads
15
Messages
103
Location
Western WA, USA
Greetings all. We're far enough along with repairs and upgrades to our '83 FJ60, that now the fate of the carpeting is being considered. On the one hand, we know we need to do some rust mitigation, so I need to take out all the carpeting anyway to get that metal exposed. Afterwards, I've been debating whether to somehow wash it and re-install it, or replace it. I was initially inclined to replace it, but after reading posts here I'm not real jazzed about some of the issues I've seen regarding replacement carpeting that tears easily and/or someone can see through. The carpeting I have is in good shape; it just needs to be cleaned. Has anyone done that? If so, what were your results?
 
From experience, I can tell you 43 year old FJ6x carpet can't be cleaned. Not only is it known to fade out (badly) over time from heat and UV exposure, but it often starts to fray on its own. Replacement carpet is easily the biggest bang-for-the-buck item you can get for the restoration of these trucks. The difference it makes to the interior is nothing short of profound! (Plus I send out an installation guide with each order.)

Let me know if I can help.
dnp
 
Thanks for the replies. The question sort of answered itself when I was pulling out the old carpet and discovered that someone's dog had peed on it, probably more than once, probably more than a decade ago. <sigh> So yea, I'll be replacing it. Also I noticed that it was definitely starting to fray on its own anyway. And @dnp I'll be zapping you a DM here shortly so we can talk specifics. Onward with little daily improvements........
 
Back
Top Bottom