Can't open tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks
I can't get the tailgate open on my 2002 cruiser. I can hear the lock unlocking but won't budge. I go inside and try it from there and it is just stuck. Any ideas?:bang:

Just had the same issue on mine.
Probably the linkage between the lock and the unlock button and motor.
:wrench:You need to disassemble the cover behind the door handle on the inside, you will then get access to the linkage and be able to operate it with your fingers. Once you get it open i will advise you to disassemble the whole linkage and lock, clean it, lube it, and put it back. You will then be good for another ten years or so.:clap:

It will depend on why it isn't opening. If it is unlocked but one or both of the latches won't release, then more likely that not one of the cables that run on between the handle assembly and latches either came loose or broke. The part where it attaches to the handle and latch uses a cheesy plastic nipple to secure the cable. If that's what broke, then you can pull the carpeting and yank on the cable and the latch should unlock.

Also, if that is what is broken, you cannot just buy the cable, you have to buy the whole latch assembly:(. Like $75-100 IIRC

Now that I said nipple, that should attract Gumby:flipoff2:

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Disassembly from the inside could be difficult with drawers, cargo barriers, fridge, etc.... Not that I have any of that stuff yet, but hope to one day. Some folks may want to do this as a regular PM to avoid a real trip killer.

Be glad its not on a 4runner with roll down window into the tailgate PITA!!!

Mine wouldn't open, the lock mechanism has been poorly designed and has a plastic sliding piece which takes all of the pressure to open the lock. Mine broke and I glued it and it lasted another year, then broke again so I manufactured a steel one up. The piece I am talking about is part of the unlatch mechanism and is not available as a spare part. (replace whole lock mechanism)
When it happened, I realized if you push the top gate in, and while holding it in, operate the latch handle and you may be able to open it, I did this in one hand action and it worked until I pulled it apart. Basically by doing this you are taking load off the catch so it will release easier. The problem however may be the little broken piece of plastic.

I put a bolt with a nut in place of that plastic piece after I had it warrantied once and it broke a couple years later.

When I first got my Cruiser, I couldn't get mine to open from the inside. I inspected the guts by removing the panel, and after hours of studying the darn thing, I finally realized that the child safety lock was activated. I literally LOL'd that day. =]

Last summer camping, someone flipped my child lock on as we were drinking in the evening. Well next morning when I went to climb out the hatch like I always do, I couldn't. And then they also did the child lock on the left door too, which made me have to climb out the front door. They remain anonymous to this day, but whoever you are you'll get it back!

After much research on the internet, I didn't really find anything besides this thread to give me an indication of why my liftgate didn't open anymore and how to fix it.

My problem seemed to be the same as Chuck39. I could hear the lock unlocking but I couldn't open it from outside or inside. After pulling the handle housing and reaching in there to unlock the liftgate, I pulled the bottom plastic trim and here is a short video to show what the problem was:

The problem was that the black plastic pin wouldn't engage behind the rocking plate so all I did was loosen up the three bolts for the liftgate latch handle and pushed it as far out (in the direction of the red arrow) as I could so that the rocking plate would travel the add'l distance to allow the black pin to catch behind it.

IMG_9338.JPG

After much research on the internet, I didn't really find anything besides this thread to give me an indication of why my liftgate didn't open anymore and how to fix it.

My problem seemed to be the same as Chuck39. I could hear the lock unlocking but I couldn't open it from outside or inside. After pulling the handle housing and reaching in there to unlock the liftgate, I pulled the bottom plastic trim and here is a short video to show what the problem was:

The problem was that the black plastic pin wouldn't engage behind the rocking plate so all I did was loosen up the three bolts for the liftgate latch handle and pushed it as far out (in the direction of the red arrow) as I could so that the rocking plate would travel the add'l distance to allow the black pin to catch behind it.

View attachment 1168218

Getting this issue now will try and loose the 3 bolts and push them as you say and tight them see how we go.

Took of the small cover inside top tail gate were you open it and latch is and sprayed wd 40 for lubricant didn't help.Has anyone at this issue of late ?.

I'm experiencing this problem, too. I remember something similar in my FZJ80 a handful of years ago, but now that I've dug into my 100-series hatch, this looks a wee bit different.

It seems like the latch lever inside the hatch needs to travel just a little bit farther than it is. And here's why.

In this video, you see a little plastic collar that's at the junction of two metal shafts. The plastic is cracked, and it flexes just enough at the crack to take some travel out of the shaft to which it is attached, creating my problem.

I think I'm going to try to pull that piece of plastic out, hit it with some epoxy or something, and pray it fixes my problem.

Mine wouldn't open, the lock mechanism has been poorly designed and has a plastic sliding piece which takes all of the pressure to open the lock. Mine broke and I glued it and it lasted another year, then broke again so I manufactured a steel one up. The piece I am talking about is part of the unlatch mechanism and is not available as a spare part. (replace whole lock mechanism)
When it happened, I realized if you push the top gate in, and while holding it in, operate the latch handle and you may be able to open it, I did this in one hand action and it worked until I pulled it apart. Basically by doing this you are taking load off the catch so it will release easier. The problem however may be the little broken piece of plastic.

That little plastic piece of mine is cracked. You wouldn't, by chance, have a pic or diagram or something of that steel replacement you tabbed up? I was thinking of 3D printing a replacement.

Thanks for whatever information you can share with me. It's a PItA not being able to open the door.

I'm thinking of fabricating a replacement to the plastic piece (mine has now broken) with a 3D printer. So I'm making some measurements of the piece that remains and extrapolating for the missing parts.

Does anyone have those measurements? Or, better, a CAD drawing of the part?

I'll post what I come up with in a few days. Right now, I have a hand drawing with some caliper measurements.

While I work on that, I epoxied a piece of a binder-clip to the remaining plastic hoping that it would work for a few days. I'll share pics of that after the epoxy has cured.

Here's the diagram I'm going to use to 3D-print the broken doodad. If anyone sees anything wrong with this, please let me know. I'm sure that there will be some prototype-redesign that will happen. I'll report back the final result.

Not much response here H? I suppose @100 TD isn't active anymore. Can't help you much with your quest, but it will be interesting to see if a printed part would work, and hold up. Sub'd.

Not much response here H? I suppose @100 TD isn't active anymore. Can't help you much with your quest, but it will be interesting to see if a printed part would work, and hold up. Sub'd.

Thanks for the notice. Not worried about the responses. This is really a niche issue. I'm only hoping to contribute to a solution that others will encounter.

Well, I drafted up a design in FreeCAD using measurements I made from the parts of that doodad that remained, and I had it printed up by a service up the road. I expect them to be put into the mail today and arrive early next week. Here's a pic of the doodad that the printer sent me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom