Can't decide on gears. Anybody near Orange with 35s and 5.29s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little late to the party but if you haven't already met up with someone, I have 5.29s and 315 Toyos in south OC.
I am very glad I went with the 5.29s for the exact reason Tare mentioned, all the extra weight.

Oh dang.

I'm in the process of lifting and re-gearing La8enta. I wasn't planning on all the armor at the moment, but I was def thinking 3" lift, 4.88s, and 35s.

Hhhhhhmmmmmm................

I'm doing 4.88's now 35's probably later but full armor, tent, cargo drawers and fridge

Nope, my 4.88 will be here Friday.

Anyone or shops do same day regear?

you already know who can do the regear

I have 4.88s with 315's and a 14' pop up trailer that weights about 3,000lbs when loaded. I think on the highway it does fine. On long grades I would like some lower gears but overall it's seems to be the perfect balance for on and off road and does decent with towing. 5.29s would be a bit better for towing and offroad but not as good on pavement. The decision comes down to the % spent on road, off road, and towing. I spend probably 80%-90% on road, 10%-20% offroad, and 1% towing. Those numbers would mean 4.88s are my best fit.

I have 315s and stock gears. I like to drive across country and hit trails in the desert (moab, Hole in the Rock last month, etc). I honestly have never felt that my stock gears weren't cutting it (I don't mind running 4200 rpm in 2nd gear for 10-15 mins straight up Eisenhower Pass, engine doesn't seem to mind either as highest scanguage water temp reading was 204*).

I know that the down hill technical sections would be happier with 5.29s or 4.88s, but could I cruise across country with these gears and 315s at 75-80mph?

I am thinking that keeping the stock gears and going with the t-case gears would be a better solution. What do you all think?

Smitty

I had 315s and 4:88s on my '96 and never had a problem with freeway driving. Also with 4:88s you could run anywhere from a 285-37 depending on how fast you like to drive. I'm considering going to 5:29s on the current truck since I don't ever see myself going back to a smaller tire and it will end up a no daily driver eventually. Or I can just run 37s all the time. :D

I have 315/75 16 BFG KM2 and 4.88s, I hate turning 2,850 rpm at 75 mph. I am looking to move up to 37's just to drop the rpms a bit.

Fortunately I have the benefit of a supercharger to compensate on the grades.

Boyd Mickley - you are still alive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom