Canman’s LX450 resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short is that after long neglecting my rig for over 5 years, and trying to sell it over the last two years without success, I’ve decided to start fixing it so that I can hopefully get it to a state where I can do some “expeditions” with my buddy who retires next year and has a well kitted out 2014 FJ.
It’s real early in the process, andI have a huge laundry list of things to do, but I thought what the hell, and I’ll document the process in the hope what I do can help others down the road.
A quick rundown of the history, and issues. I purchased it in near mint condition I believe back in 2007 with about 140K kms (IIRC). It was Canadian market factory triple locked with a few dealer installed options like heated seats, hood deflector, sunroof deflector, and rear air deflector. Kept it stock for a few years as a family rig, but then slowly modded it for off-roading. Here’s a list of mods done:

1. ARB modded from bumper with 3/4” shackle loops, fog lamps, front camera, relocated ARB amber lights to wings, integrated 2 gal airtank, air quick disconnect, and remote winch controller connector
2. Superwinch EP 9.0
3. Light Force driving lights
4. Toyota snorkel
5. Dual battery setup with isolator and Odyssey batteries with marine switches
6. 1/2 hp electric air compressor mounted to engine
7. Air cleaner clogged sensor (not connected)
8. Windshield reservoir relocation bracket (made by me)
9. Outdoor air temp sensor/unit
9. Toyota dash cup holder
10. In-dash CB radio
11. OBDII permanent reader
12. Hella map light
13. Toyota hand throttle
14. Landtank seat extension
15. Two external CB speakers
16. Custom rear cargo wood shelf system
17. Misc Toyota 12VDC/120VAC outlets
18. Rear mount 3000W inverter
19. LED backup light (mounted to rear air deflector)
20. Slee Gen 1 rear bumper (heavily modded) with tire carrier, Hi-Lift jack mount, shovel mount, gas strut, GMC Jimmy latch, LED telescopic work light (not connected), Toyota 120 VAC connector, 7-pin trailer connector
21. Toyota NATO pintle hook
22. Trailer hitch
23. OME 2.5” lift, mediums up front & heavies in the rear
25. 1” body lift
26. 35” Toyo Open Country MTs on Toyota steelies

Last edited:
List of issues (I’ll likely forget some):

Mechanical:
1. Needs new brakes
2. Needs an alignment (likely new tie rods)
3. Front locker not working
4. Rear locker not working
5. Centre lock not working
6. PS rear axle seal leaking
7. Needs front axle rebuild

Suspension:
1. Needs new tires - ordered Toyo Open Country MT 255/85/16
2. Needs new springs
3. Needs new shocks
4. Likely needs all new suspension bushings
5. Will likely replace steering damper

Engine:
1. Replace spark plugs
2. Replace dist cap & rotor
3. Rocker cover gasket leaking
4. Oil leal at front somewhere
5. Fan clutch oil probably needs to be replaced (runs hot)
6. Exhaust system leaking

Electrical:
1. Radio not working
2. Hella light not working
3. Air compressor not working
4. Airbag light is on
5. CB not working
6. Driver’s seat heater switch indicator bulb not working
7. Need to install power antenna on PS fender
8. Need to check if rear 3000W inverter is working
9. Rear LED backup light not working
10. Need to connect rear backup camera
11. Need to connect rear telescopic work light
12. Need to connect rear 7-pin trailer connector
13. Need to install rear licence plate light
14. Need to connect rear 120VAC connector
15. DS low beam not working

Body:
1. Replace DS front fender with colour match spare I have
2. Fix dent in driver’s door
3. Repair rust in lower PS rear quarter
4. Repair rust in lower DS rear quarter
5. Repair rust on upper lift gate
6. Repair rust in DS wheel well
7, Repair rust in PS wheel well
8. Repair rust in PS rocker
9. Repair rust on PS rear quarter near PS cargo window

Started cleaning the interior, and have just started looking into the radio not working. Thread here:

Decided on new Toyo MT Open Country 255/85/16 tires here:

Will post some pics of current state later today.

Something makes me think you need to clean up all the grounds and then see what your list looks like... I have a feeling your list will start getting shorter fairly quickly.

Went to move the rig up the driveway and out of the sun while working on my head unit power issues, and it made a terrible grinding noise near the transmission and wouldn’t move forward. Luckily, I had a piece of wood behind the DS rear tire so that stopped it rolling backwards. Tried again and same noise. Put it in park, shut it off. Damn! I’m thinking what’s wrong now with the trans. Check trans fluid and there’s plenty and it’s clear. Then I notice a steady stream of fluid dripping down under the DS floor. I’m thinking there’s a trans leak. Get underneath, the fluid is clear. Ok. It’s brake fluid, so trans should be ok. Throw a bucket under to catch the fluid, and thinking WFT did I do to deserve this just as I’m starting to fix the beast. Relax…
Get my daughter to move her car from behind my truck just in case. Get back in truck to move again, then realize I had moved the transcase shifter to 4 Low to have better room to remove the dash bezel. Push it further down into position and all is good. Check brake fluid leak. It has now stopped. Knock on door as I’m typing this, and neighbour invites me down to the dock for a drink. The end…Lol!

Seems like half my projects start like this. There always seems to be something standing in the way of getting things done. My not so favorite saying is, “Nothing’s easy.” A rusty bolt snaps off, additional modification is needed, open things up to fix one problem only to find two more. Welcome to the club and better luck as you move forward. Crossing items off the list is so satisfying.

Not much to report as I have other tasks to tackle. Still haven’t sorted out the head unit power supply issue, but hoping today I can have time to take a look. My Metra 70-1761 wiring harness arrived last Wednesday, one day ahead of estimated delivery date. Not sure if I’ll need it, but good to have just in case. I also received my Philips 9011C1 bulbs from RockAuto last Wednesday. Ordered this puppy this morning just in case of the zombie apocalypse arrives sooner rather than later. Lol! Figured since I’m in the dash wiring and my CB isn’t working, it was time to upgrade.
Been slacking on getting my licence for many years now, but hoping this will push me to get it.

Philips 9011C1 bulbs to replace my old JD HIRs.
F7C95339-4B28-4C5F-8BB3-5E5A80E487A7.jpeg

Yaesu mobile dual band FTM-400XDR. This will be a steep learning curve to figure out. Haha!
0C906B55-FAE7-436B-81CB-CE6E8B5365D3.png

Some progress.

1. Got the CB radio powered up (blown in-line fuse) and blown acc in-line fuse at starter battery. I will keep it even though I just received my Yaesu FTM-400XDR today. I need a new antenna though as the the orig one I purchased is busted.
2. Solved the power supply for the Kenwood/factory amp yesterday. Details are in my Kenwood DDX393 thread.
3. Was a mixup with the garage and the installation of my new tires. Have an appt this Thursday. Will also get them to fix my lreaking brake line.
4. Received my Yaesu FTM-400XDR today. Will look at installation placement today.

0AF3E4E4-A800-43D7-841C-452BE73DB8E6.jpeg

5. Will try to do the following this weekend:
a. Replace low beam bulbs.
b. Install new indoor/outdoor temp sensor/display.
c. Continue cleaning interior.
d. Mock-up of Yaesu unit.

This small stuff is taking a lot longer than I anticipated.

What did you do for the indoor outdoor temp display?

I put mine in the power antenna switch hole in the dash. The outdoor sensor is tucked in behind the bumper with the factory LX temp sensor location.
and the indoor is in the sniffer tube for the LX automatic AC temp sensor.

in the image below it 99 in the truck and 53 outside. I put a square of window tint over the display to dim it back some.
Z4KRYx5l.jpg

Old and new temp display. Used a wooden block and two-sided tape to locate the old one. Only issue is the new on requires a separate 12VDC supply from a cig socket for the display light.

A9661E4E-754B-4F2B-A0F9-380928FA7D0F.jpeg

51D193EE-70D7-4BEC-B8F8-4875C39A9E87.jpeg

E0E1CB26-231C-493F-B443-73AAA42C3FA6.jpeg

Thinking I might mount the Yaesu display here. It is too high to mount between the rear view mirror and ceiling. Had to move the iPad holder to the right, but now only the left side is supported on the dash.

7066F377-40D7-4D6D-BA1C-373CD18F117D.jpeg

Ordered the RAM ball/stud adapter from Amazon.ca.

Amazon product ASIN B0059X0YIQ

Thinking of mounting the Yaesu main unit here. Keeps it out of the way and easier to run hide the wires.

984781F0-C345-4318-9E1E-2B2070B2BFC1.jpeg
6DF63520-10C1-4F06-A7C4-380F670E8A84.jpeg

Thinking of mounting the Yaesu main unit here. Keeps it out of the way and easier to run hide the wires.
Might consider mounting radio under the drivers seat. The mic extends to the dash a little tight though. I ran the power from the house battery through a grommet on the passenger side, under the door sill trim, then under the carpet to the drivers seat. The power/control wire from the main radio to head unit is routed under the center console. I put an external speaker in the center console where the LX stock sub used to be.

49D1F38A-49E9-465D-B102-010F78405E0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Added the Pioneer front speaker grilles. Hadn’t installed them because I had thought that I had to remove the door panels for some reason. D’oh!

E35B4B9C-017B-41EB-B67D-451EA2CB1083.jpeg

DF8E2D39-9CA3-4B8E-82AD-465E78F1DEEE.jpeg

Also found this red hazard switch in my box of switches. I believe I installed it way back when it was in super demand but I think I pulled it because I really never liked the contrast with the all black switches. Might just give it a try to see again if I might like it.

4FF31054-A78C-4017-BE4F-6576976B5364.jpeg

Finally replaced the DS low beam bulb (Philips 9011C1from RockAuto) that probably has been burnt out for almost 5 yrs. Lol! Did the PS as well so that they were the same bulb/output/pattern. Quick use of the Dremel with the cut-off wheel to match the top tab with the proper/original type bulbs.

24E52940-48A0-407F-B7D5-0E68C1F7912E.jpeg

AECEC206-1B53-4DD6-BF16-8E1CB066E2C3.jpeg

Going to finish sanding the bondo on the Long Ranger fuel tank (167L) that I applied probably 5 yrs ago. Lol! I have no idea what misc parts I’ll need to complete the installation. Hoping to have it primed and finish coated by weekends end if the weather cooperates.

3BCDFF6E-DF58-4240-9645-EBC503B887C2.jpeg

Ordered new engine air filter, new tie rods , and hood insulation clips from the Lexus dealer earlier this week, but they got my credit card info mixed up, so parts won’t likely arrive until next week. Dropped it off this morning at the local garage to have the new Toyos installed, but they haven’t yet gotten to it. Should have it back tomorrow. Will be interesting to see it back on the factory alloys after not seeing them on probably in 12 yrs.

They called me just after my last post. They said the lug nuts wouldn’t fit the alloys. Luckily I found the original alloy lug nuts in my stash of used parts and dropped them off. Told me that it was the fuel line leaking which is weird since the liquid I did catch when it was pissing out did not smell at all like fuel. Looked like just plain water. I’ve had a hole in my gas filler tube for years due to rust which has just gotten worse over the years. I did purchase a new filler neck years and years ago, but I guess now, getting that Long Ranger fuel tank installed is a top priority. D’oh!

Got the truck back, but they didn’t have time to fix the busted fuel line.
Tires definitely look too narrow with the factory flares, but it is what it is. At a quick glance, kinda hard to tell the difference with the 35s.
Called Long Range America and they will send me the installation instructions. Hard to believe they still sell it. I think I’m missing a few pieces. Truck will be back in next Friday for the tie rod(s) install.
E7285B7D-D4B7-472C-829A-909149FCFEAB.jpeg
97CAB6C1-C3B1-40A3-BE2E-DCCCE443D47E.jpeg
8C5E0773-3AF3-43DB-9E7C-D7BAF9472B3A.jpeg
5A057ED1-9709-4B77-B623-9C7EA4AC7D42.jpeg

Still working on the fuel tank. Taking longer than expected of course. Had some of the bondo peeling off which wasn’t expected. Using a new 6” orbital sander which makes quick work of sanding. Had to pick up another can of self-etching primer. Talk about sticker shock it was CAN$27 and $32 with the taxes. Last time I purchased some I believe it was around $17. Going to cost like $200 just to paint this thing. Crazy!

431AFF3B-C6BE-4358-91AB-3B491A47799C.jpeg

D283CB5B-A212-452B-83F1-1DBBB726941D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom