Can you fit a bigger spare tire with a lift? How much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw the following pic on the GXOR facebook group. The OP said these tires are 33.5" tall, but with a little grinding and a 3" lift he was able to fit a full size spare in the stock location. Is this actually feasible? Wouldn't it still rub against the track bar? If so, how much lift would I need for a 32.5 to 33" tire? I have an aftermarket tow hitch (low profile)

1660143106159.png

Easily feasible... no. Not even a little. Those fitting anything in the 33" range are using spacers for the KDSS parts and deflating their spare to nearly off the bead to get them to fit. General consensus is you're not getting anything bigger than a 32" tire in there without modification and/or having some headaches.

This doesn't make sense to me because with the factory spare, I only have 2" clearance to the sway bar, and 0" to the hitch

1660143753184.png

IMG_59E2968D36CE-1.jpeg

I assume his 3 inch lift included KDSS spacers so that provides a little more room in the spare tub if you can squeeze the tire past the sway bar.

Even with KDSS spacers, I think the "little bit of grinding" actually means "cutting away most of the OEM class IV hitch receiver crossbar" which could make for a fun experiment later.

This doesn't make sense to me because with the factory spare, I only have 2" clearance to the sway bar, and 0" to the hitch

View attachment 3083032

View attachment 3083031
I can't vouch for your truck-- only my own-- but when I tried to fit a 285/70/17, it hit KDSS long before getting anywhere near the Curt hitch that I have. That was with it deflated to 8 PSI.

I can't vouch for your truck-- only my own-- but when I tried to fit a 285/70/17, it hit KDSS long before getting anywhere near the Curt hitch that I have. That was with it deflated to 8 PSI.
I have 265/70/17 (officially 31.5 but measured closer to 32 inch) and the OEM class IV hitch. There's no way it fits in the OEM tub even when deflated. If I had KDSS spacers I could probably smack the spare into place with a dead blow but instead I just got a swingout so everyone can see how hard I'm trying.

With KDSS 245/75-17 is the best I could fit, fully aired, no contact with the KDSS.
Shackle bar fits in the receiver with no issues.
When I remain local for extended periods, I leave the spare at home.

I run 255/75r17 with 2" lift for a couple years. It's a tight fit. When you lift the rear suspension it would swing forward a bit. It can still rub at certain condition.

The GX does not have viscous coupling so it's OK to use smaller spare for temporary use. It's possible to freak out the stability control with much smaller tire but it would not damage anything mechanically as long you do not lock the center diff on high traction surface.

Been wheeling my GX around midwest for 5 years and have not need my spare tire yet.

I have 265/70/17 (officially 31.5 but measured closer to 32 inch) and the OEM class IV hitch. There's no way it fits in the OEM tub even when deflated. If I had KDSS spacers I could probably smack the spare into place with a dead blow but instead I just got a swingout so everyone can see how hard I'm trying.
Each truck and each tire seem a little different. I was able to fit a 265/70/17 underneath with some wiggle & push. It's not a matching Falken/Method like my other 4, but rather an FJ Cruiser wheel with some sort of LT tire in that size. But it's fully inflated and ready to use. I hope I never have to. If I get a flat in civilization, I'll probably just call a tow. But if it happens in the boondocks it's nice piece of mind.

Last edited:
i have a 2 inch lift, and KDSS spacers, and a 265/70r18 spare did NOT fit. well... i was able to cram it up there, but then it rubbed on the sway bar with articulation.

I almost feel like if someone made a custom bumper and hitch that you could.make a little more room to fit a larger tire but its the biggest Achilles Heel of the GX460.

I have 275/70-17 KO2s, a ~2" lift, and KDSS spacers. I had to remove the OEM tow hitch to fit the spare. I could see how grinding away some spare material on the tow hitch could get it to fit, and I've considered doing that.

I've been searching all the forums trying to find a definitive answer on this - I want to run a Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/65R18 P-rated tire. Can anyone confirm this would fit with the Curt hitch? I've seen someone post a picture of a KO2 in this size with the OEM hitch so that does give me hope even though it's know that the KO2 runs small.

I've been searching all the forums trying to find a definitive answer on this - I want to run a Falken Wildpeak AT3W 275/65R18 P-rated tire. Can anyone confirm this would fit with the Curt hitch? I've seen someone post a picture of a KO2 in this size with the OEM hitch so that does give me hope even though it's know that the KO2 runs small.

The stock space can handle about a 31.6" tire, and Falken says that tire is 32.1".

I don't have one but I do not think the Curt hitch can help enough to make that fit. There's a frame member that is really close to the rear end of the tire. I put 265/70R17 Rubitreks (basically the same tire with slightly more road oriented tread) on my 2017. Falken says those are 31.7". With the stock 6500lb hitch the spare would not fit. Some people here have had them fit, so there might be some difference between units. I installed KDSS spacers in order to get the spare to fit.

Falkens, at least the Wildpeak and Rubitrek, run big and KO2s run small. I think its close to a ~.5" difference in these sizes.

The stock space can handle about a 31.6" tire, and Falken says that tire is 32.1".

I don't have one but I do not think the Curt hitch can help enough to make that fit. There's a frame member that is really close to the rear end of the tire. I put 265/70R17 Rubitreks (basically the same tire with slightly more road oriented tread) on my 2017. Falken says those are 31.7". With the stock 6500lb hitch the spare would not fit. Some people here have had them fit, so there might be some difference between units. I installed KDSS spacers in order to get the spare to fit.

Falkens, at least the Wildpeak and Rubitrek, run big and KO2s run small. I think its close to a ~.5" difference in these sizes.
Thanks for the reply! I may just have to try it and report back. Worst case look into KDSS spacers.

Thanks for the reply! I may just have to try it and report back. Worst case look into KDSS spacers.

Worst case would be needing a tire carrier. I think a 32.1" tire is a stretch even with spacers and removing the hitch. There's a good chance it still won't fit. It absolutely will not fit with a hitch and no spacers, it's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom