Can someone take a quick measurement for me! ('77 FJ40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Howdy all - I'm in a bit of a pickle... I'm trying to reconstruct the rear end of my '77 FJ 40 and it's not looking right...

I have the rear quarters off, and I have replaced the corner channels that go from the bed to the top rail, but they appear to be on an angle.... I did repair the back end of the bed, and made my own rear sill - and I'm wondering if I measured something wrong along the way. (All the details are in the link in my signature)

1) Is the back wall supposed to be 90 degrees to the floor?

2) Can someone get me a measurement from the top of the sill (the inset edge of the lip) to the body mount hole at the front of the bed (middle of the hole)?

Sure would appreciate it. I made a call to a local friend who is also in the process of re-building his FJ40, and he is having the same problem getting things to line up...

Measuring from here:
image.jpg

To here:
image.jpg

Like this:
image.jpg

The corner channel seems to line up with the top frame, the wheel well lip, and where I have it currently it is lined up at the bottom with the edge of the rear sill, but it doesn't LOOK right - looks like it's leaning forwards...

I've searched and found a few threads with info on body dims, but not this one...

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I tried to measure from the center of the bolt back...

No idea how original my rear silk area is, the PO slapped in some new metal in the floor so a 2nd opinion would be good...

Hope this helps, lemme know if u need others. Mine is a late late month 1978 model

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430079716.595415.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430079743.341242.jpg

Requested angles

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430080194.873582.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430080244.631525.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430080226.825415.jpg

At least I feel like I've done something now, other than couch wrenching!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430080181.483204.jpg

This probably won't help but I tried to figure out your question on 90 degrees or not... Wasn't exactly sure what to measure and I don't seem to have great tools

U can see mine appears to tilt outwards... Slight gap on the top compare to the bottom... But mine has been hacked up

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430080965.270988.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430080982.763085.jpg

Yeah, I guess I could have included a bit more info on the angle!

I took a few more pics... The measurements you have above seem pretty close to mine... So maybe it's just not supposed to be 90degrees here?

image.jpg

The flange of the top rail is exactly lined up with the box corner:

image.jpg

As is the flange on the wheel well....

image.jpg

So I'm not sure how anything could be out, but it sure doesn't look right!

I just checked my 78 and the measurement of 32" is pretty damned close.

I'm not really sure what you're looking at as far as perpendicular to the floor. The rear of the tub on my truck is perpendicular to the floor in both directions.

Looks like a number of small inaccuracies added together to make the difference here, one side of the truck actually measures 32 +1/16 and the other 32 - 1/16, but on top of that the short side still has some weld bead on the back of the lip - so shave anther 16th of the short side off and that puts me off by 3/16" - enough to be making it "off"

Thanks for the measurements and confirmations - it's on the path to being right again!

made this up in solidworks awhile back for a past build. No hole locations but outside to where the bend starts. Also this is for a 72/73 tub. it doesn't have the lip for the amby doors. AFAIK the angles in the back should be 90 degrees. I can snap any dimensions on the dwg file so ask and I will try and answer.

Untitled.png

made this up in solidworks awhile back for a past build. No hole locations but outside to where the bend starts. Also this is for a 72/73 tub. it doesn't have the lip for the amby doors. AFAIK the angles in the back should be 90 degrees. I can snap any dimensions on the dwg file so ask and I will try and answer.

View attachment 1070188
Sweet!!

Thanks guys, I cut the sill off 95% (left a bit on the drivers side) and opened up the gap on the passenger side. Pulled the sill back into place and then welded it. I'm now 1189mm (~46-13/16") on each side from the fwd face of the sill lip, to the very front corner of the bed (with whatever curve the tape measure has over the difference in height). At this point with both sides being equal I'm moving forward! All details in the build thread in my sig - somewhere on page 11.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom