Buying Advice? High vs Low Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am new to the forum and am currently in the market for a GX. Have been doing a good amount of research and have found two potential GX's I'm interested in. The first is an '07 with 148,000 with really good maintenance records, everything being performed at a Lexus dealership. They are asking $13,900 for it. The second is an '06 with 220,000 also with really good maintenance records from a lexus dealership and just had a new secondary air pump installed, they are asking $9,999.

My question is it worth the almost 4k price difference to get a GX with the lower mileage? I wont be daily driving whatever I pick up, just using it for a weekender for camping and such. I am leaning towards the high mileage GX so I have a little money to put towards some basic mods but figured some second opinions could be helpful in my decision making process! May be a dumb question but any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
That’s a tough one...might come down to which color you like better 😂
If it were me, I think I’d try to strike the absolute best deal I could on the newer, lower mileage one.
That’s the one that will certainly have greater re-sale value down the road.
For example, you say you won’t put on many miles...let’s say 8k/year for 4 years before you sell it.
the newer one will still have well under 200k. The older one will have over 250k.
Thats a big psychological delta.
It might also have a lower cost-of-ownership, due to its age and mileage, though that’s not a given.
I think you’ll either save, or recoup the price difference on the new one.
Either way, good luck.

That’s a tough one...might come down to which color you like better 😂
If it were me, I think I’d try to strike the absolute best deal I could on the newer, lower mileage one.
That’s the one that will certainly have greater re-sale value down the road.
For example, you say you won’t put on many miles...let’s say 8k/year for 4 years before you sell it.
the newer one will still have well under 200k. The older one will have over 250k.
Thats a big psychological delta.
It might also have a lower cost-of-ownership, due to its age and mileage, though that’s not a given.
I think you’ll either save, or recoup the price difference on the new one.
Either way, good luck.
Definitely have been doing a lot of back and fourth in my head haha. The higher mile one is a savannah metallic and the other is a blizzard pearl, neither were my first choice was hoping to find a silver metallic or ash blue mica. If I can get the lower mileage one closer to 12k I would jump on it but it sounds like he is firm at 14k cause he knows they are pretty in demand out here in Colorado. I guess at least with the high mileage one I could put the money I save towards suspension upgrades, new tires and any odds and ends it may need being higher mileage. Thanks for your insight! 👍

Both will need, if not done recently, new radiator, timing belt, water pump, poss air suspension issues shock/struts and if they have navigation it is harder to upgrade the stereo. Timing belt are recomended every 9 years or 90k wich ever comes first. The 220k wouldnt scare me if he has done everything and it needs nothing. 4k in savings can take care of all I have listed and thats having a shop do it.

Both will need, if not done recently, new radiator, timing belt, water pump, poss air suspension issues shock/struts and if they have navigation it is harder to upgrade the stereo. Timing belt are recomended every 9 years or 90k wich ever comes first. The 220k wouldnt scare me if he has done everything and it needs nothing. 4k in savings can take care of all I have listed and thats having a shop do it.
The 220k had the t-belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets, front crank seals and secondary air pump among some other items all done at 190k which is a positive and is what made me even consider it. Had no leaks so the radiator seems to be in good shape but the 4k savings definitely could be used to get the suspension and new radiator taken care off especially if I'm doing some of the work myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom