Bumper Holes for Trailer Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=12417;start=msg114656#msg114656 date=1078357460]
Anyone can send me the step plate and trim piece and I will ship the plastic cover from my truck (LX450) - swaps? PM me!

PS Can also get pintle hook style with a ball hitch (ie the 'clamp' clamps onto the ball)

Cheers, Hugh
[/quote]

I was under my truck the other day and thought I saw a peice of aluminum extrusion near the top of the rear bumper, is it still there but covered? or is this a diffrent peice of AL?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12417;start=msg117272#msg117272 date=1078768469]
12x1.25
[/quote]
Cruiserdan,
Just put the pintle hitch on. The bolt size (12 x 1.25) you gave me did not sync up just right. I could tell the bolt holes wanted to accept a different thread. Maybe the previous owner did something to mess up the threads. I ended up using Metric 12 x 1.75 . Is there a chance you were not referrring to metric? I would assume all bolts on Toyotas are metric.
Eric

Rusty threads? Try lubing it up. I guess the thread pitch could be different from what you were using.

RavenTai- I thought the same thing before I removed the plastic cover on mine, but you're not seeing the aluminum step-plate under there. You'll have to buy one if you want one.

If you guys are putting the pintle on for a small trailer, then ok, but I seriously hope you're not doing any real towing with it. If it's just for looks, you'll quickly realize having it back there is a pita. I take off my drop receiver every chance I get cause otherwise it's just something else in the way.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=12417;start=msg124533#msg124533 date=1079843357]I take off my drop receiver every chance I get cause otherwise it's just something else in the way.[/quote]
Same here, even when I towed every day I took it off when I was done. If you get lightly rear-ended without it there won't be serious damage to the other car. With it, the other car gets serious damage, wait for cops, paperwork, questions, possibly insurance, maybe something that'll show up on Carfax (in some states), etc, etc. The worst woulda been when my daughter backed my cruiser into my Audi, but there was no damage.

I was rear ended a couple of years ago. The car behind me was hit by a pickup and then hit my rear. The pickup was messed up, the Lexus E250 rear was damaged but didn't look as bad as the front bumper which hit my trailer hitch and electrical plug for my winch. I didn't have the ball mount in and it clearly left cutouts in the front bumper from both. The plug was cracked and the dust cover shattered. There was no other damage despite getting tagged hard enough that I got a headache and stiff neck for the remainder of the night. I just blew it off because it was out of state. I figured the parts were about $25. A couple months later someone called from the district attorney's office and I explained what was damaged and that it hadn't been replaced yet. They asked about a labor charge for fixing and I told them less than an hour. They asked me to fax in a receipt or estimate which I never did because it was not a priority. About three weeks later I got a letter from the court and inside of it was a personal check from the guy that hit me for $80. I figured that was cool until about a month ago when someone posted about a free Carfax check. I decided to run my vehicle just for grins. That accident was listed with the vehicle receiving minor damage. Had I known that would have happened I never would have said anything to the cop about damage. I plan on keeping the 80 for a long time so I'm not worried about resale. Just be aware of what can be reported to Carfax.

No,
sure that pintle hook mounted to a real tow bar you could but look at the part you are going to mount that to. the reaer crossmember would likely deform just form mounitng that monstrosity let alone towing with it.
Dave

that's all well and good but how come in other countries they can reportedly tow huge weights with the pintle hook just set in the 4 holes?
E

In Japan last week I noticed two 80's that used the lower two of the holes for a pair of neat stainless steel eyehole cleats similar to the ones you would put through the transom of a boat for water skiing. I assume they were there for tie downs because both trucks had big expedition roofracks. Useful I guess but still a problem in a rear ender.

By the way this was my only remotely interesting observation about 80s during a week in japan. Glad to get it out of the way.

no clue how they do eric.
I have looked under my truck and removed the end caps in preparation of building a rear bumper and I have to say there is no way I would use that to carry more than a few bicycles on that peice.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom