Building a set of drawers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the hight of the box the same as the middle seats when folded? That looks bigger than I had imagined based on the pics when not installed.

The box is 3/4" taller than the seats when folded down so that when an additional sheet of plywood is added over the seats, it will be level from front to back. I'm not sure if I'll ever use this option. But, I figured I better build it in now just in case I want it later.

Greg B said:
The box is 3/4" taller than the seats when folded down so that when an additional sheet of plywood is added over the seats, it will be level from front to back. I'm not sure if I'll ever use this option. But, I figured I better build it in now just in case I want it later.

YouDaMan :cool:

Hey Greg, Nice work. I would like to do pretty much the same thing, but would like to add smaller flip top areas near the sides in front or behind the wheel wells.

Do you think thats possible?

A: Is there enough room
B: could something be designed to "slide mount into place?

Mostly for small crap that may roll around.

Thanks, and again nice work!

Doug

Greg B said:
Thanks for your feedback, I agree. I haven't weighed them yet, but I would guess that the outer box weighs in at about 75 lbs. With the drawer and slides it'll probably weigh in around 125 lbs. At +/- 6000 lbs. I doubt that a set of drawers is going to slow down the 100 much.

100TD, if you get a chance, post up a pic of your drawers. I'm always curious to see different designs to pull ideas from.

I didn't get around to building the drawer last night. I painted the outer box instead. Hopefully, I'll get the drawer built tonight.

Picture of similar drawers here, https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=61746&highlight=drawer
mine are nearly an exact copy of these without the fridge slide, as I said, I would have liked to build some to suit my needs, but I got mine for $330 so couldn't knock them back. I was only really commenting on the weight so you could see how much a standard set of steelies weigh, as others were saying the ply would weigh to much.

UltraFJ said:
Hey Greg, Nice work. I would like to do pretty much the same thing, but would like to add smaller flip top areas near the sides in front or behind the wheel wells.

Do you think thats possible?

A: Is there enough room
B: could something be designed to "slide mount into place?

Mostly for small crap that may roll around.

Thanks, and again nice work!

Doug

UltraFJ,
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I do plan on adding wings to the sides too. I'm going to use cardboard to come up with a template for each side and then trace and cut out of plywood. I'm going to use piano hinge to mount them to the box so that they flip up to gain access to them.

100 TD said:
I would have liked to build some to suit my needs, but I got mine for $330 so couldn't knock them back.

WOW! That's an awesome deal; aren't they like $1200 bucks for a set of the A.O. drawers? For that price, there's no way I would have built my own. I would have jumped on that deal in an instant.

OK, I finally got around to working on these drawers some more over the week end. I built the drawer itself and got it mounted to the drawer slides. Then I test fitted it with the drawer installed.

This turned out to be very important as the bottom of the box was too low to let the drawer slide all the way out past the edge of the tail gate. To fix this, I added another strip of plywood to the front and back edges of the box to lift it up another 3/4 inch. This allowed the drawer to clear the tailgate when fully extended.

Then I primed and painted everything. I still have to add wings to the sides so that stuff doesn't fall down between the box and the sides of the 100. I'm also going to add a panel to the front of the drawer that covers the entire face of the drawer system including the open area to the right.

Of course I have pics:
Drawer build 1.jpg
Drawer build 2.jpg

Nice job, Greg. I think I'd prefer one drawer over two as well. How's the strength on the top horizontal surface? Are you using 3/4" plywood? What is the oval hole in the back passenger side compartment? What are you going to do about a latch to fasten the drawer closed.

hoser said:
Nice job, Greg. I think I'd prefer one drawer over two as well. How's the strength on the top horizontal surface? Are you using 3/4" plywood? What is the oval hole in the back passenger side compartment? What are you going to do about a latch to fasten the drawer closed.

Hoser, you're quick. I was just sitting here realizing I left some things out of my last post. Yes, I used 3/4" plywood. With the divider to the right instead of in the middle, the top still gets enough support; plenty strong.

I also need to add a latch/pull handle. I have gotten a couple of good sites from the Outfitting forum. I will probably add a paddle style handle that locks. Like this one: http://www.allegiscorp.com/DisplayP...etailTemp_2.jsp&cat=Single-Point+Slam+Latches

As far as the back section of the drawer with the oval cut out. That is for my tool drawers. I currently have my tools in this toolbox from Sears: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00930792000

I really like it because each of the four drawers pull out of the box and you can take them under the vehicle with you. Each piece is labeled and easy to find. Now, when I go wheeling, I can take the four drawers out of the toolbox and stack them in that compartment in the drawer. The oval is to get my fingers in to lift up each drawer. It works really well for me and I like how easy it is to take it from my 100 to the workbench with minimal fuss.

Once I have it back in the 100 (once the paint dries) I'll take some pics of it with all my gear in and post back up.

I spent hours researching this too. I'm hoping to get one started. Thanks for your pics and ideas. I am skeptical about the load ratings on the Lee Valley sliders. The website states that they load ratings are based on the 18" model. As I looked at McMaster-Carr website, all the slides typically lose load capability as length increases, unless price increases. I want to put a fair amount of stuff / weight in mine too.
http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/loadpagerange.asp?pagerange=2862,2863,2864,2865
I was thinking the ones on page 2862, #1102A56, Precision Steel High Capacity Dual-Mount Drawer Slides . Of course they are $$$, but I want a solid product too. Measure twice, cut once = pay once.

Thanks,

Rob

Greg B said:
As far as the back section of the drawer with the oval cut out. That is for my tool drawers. I currently have my tools in this toolbox from Sears: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00930792000

I really like it because each of the four drawers pull out of the box and you can take them under the vehicle with you. Each piece is labeled and easy to find. Now, when I go wheeling, I can take the four drawers out of the toolbox and stack them in that compartment in the drawer. The oval is to get my fingers in to lift up each drawer. It works really well for me and I like how easy it is to take it from my 100 to the workbench with minimal fuss.
Great idea. I have the same toolbox...hmm, I think I'll wait 'til your project is finished before I start on mine.:D

robjam said:
I spent hours researching this too. I'm hoping to get one started. Thanks for your pics and ideas. I am skeptical about the load ratings on the Lee Valley sliders. The website states that they load ratings are based on the 18" model. As I looked at McMaster-Carr website, all the slides typically lose load capability as length increases, unless price increases. I want to put a fair amount of stuff / weight in mine too.
http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/loadpagerange.asp?pagerange=2862,2863,2864,2865
I was thinking the ones on page 2862, #1102A56, Precision Steel High Capacity Dual-Mount Drawer Slides . Of course they are $$$, but I want a solid product too. Measure twice, cut once = pay once.

Thanks,

Rob

I understand what you're saying on the load ratings. There have been several on Mud that have used these slides without issue. They seem pretty stout to me. Only time will tell though. IF they do ever fail, I'll go to some that are heavier duty. For the $40 I spent, I'm willing to take my chances on the Lee Valley models.

The slides have held up fine. They handle the weight even when fully loaded. The only complaint I have about them is that when they are fully extended they can flex or sway from side to side and it makes me nervous. They don't flex up or down at all, just side to side because they are so long.

I currently have them pulled apart though for different reasons. One, I am going to make them shorter so that I can leave them in all the time and still have a cargo area that I can use on a daily basis. I orginally built them to be the height of the rear seats so that I could create a sleeping platform, but I'm too lazy to unload the vehicle so that ended up not being an option for me. With their current height, I only have about a three inch portion of the tail gate sticking up above the top of the drawers. If things slide around, they end up hitting the glass easily. I find that the height they are at now is too tall and unnecessary on a daily basis. So, I am going to a two drawer system (I bought another pair of slides) and they'll be about three inches shorter.

Bottom line on the Lee Valley slides though, they are more than up to the task especially if you go with a two drawer system instead of a single larger drawer like I did. I should have version 2 done in the next few weeks now that it is warming up outside again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom