Building a drawer system for my 80

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided to begin building a drawer system for my 80 tonight and measured it out and got a lot of stuff from the forums.

I am going to use 3/4 in birch and heavy duty sliders for the cabinet. It will be a one drawer system separated into three compartments. I will anchor it with the screws into the frame that are already there. I will also have two wings on either side that will open.

On another build a guy rhino lines his drawers, which I plan on doing as well. You can get cans on that stuff at Wal-Mart and just paint it on.

My questions are, what type of handle on the drawer would you all recommend that will lock? Also, any other ideas from the sketches that I have attached would be helpful. I will post pics as I go and detail out the build.

photo(5).jpg

photo(6).jpg

photo(7).JPG

I have all my parts now from Home Depot. I am going to start tonight and build the drawer and base and anchor it to the LC. Then I'll cut the front and back pieces tomorrow and build the wings that will flip open.

You guys think I should paint it, carpet it, or rhino line it?

Carpet would be a nice finishing touch and would reduce the interior noise.

Last edited:
jemsec said:
Carpet would be a nice finishing touch.

I have never been happy with a rattle can lining and I have used several different kinds on different things And the roll on herculier is complete crap IMHO. I like my bodyschutz but it ain't cheap.... I use flat black for everything now. And in my experience one can of the 3$ paint does more than 6 1$ cans.

I look forward to seeing this. I have to rebuild my cargo box to accommodate my freezer. I hope to get most of it done tomorrow since I can't go to auburn.

posted with my thumbs.

I just bought a 35x12x12 box cause I wanted my third row seats

I like drawers, I'd carpet them

I just bought a 35x12x12 box cause I wanted my third row seats

x2 I NEED my 3rd row (or at least 1/2 of it) contemplated 1/2 of a drawer system to keep 1/2 3rd row and 1/2 drawer with the drawer the same height as the 1/2 3rd row folded down.

Bama,

I almost put in a drawer with 1 rear seat installed but for 80$ I netted decent amount of space inside a box and I don't like wood in my vehicles...call it what you will.

-Nick-

image-1659671897.jpg

Well I have begun. It is 21 in wide and 33 in deep and will be 15 in tall. It will have a bottom slide out with two milk crates attached and a few smaller tubs for screws, bolts, etc. I will attach to the frame at the two spots where the seats attached to the frame.

I am also building a little flap type opening on the right for extra space. I am going to start by pairing it flat black to see how I like it.

I am also going to build a slide on top with legs to fold down so I can attach my Yeti cooler.

image-1659671897.jpg

I'm going to figure out my cooler situation eventually...haha

-Nick-

On a side note Yeti's are awesome.

I decided to do a one drawer system so I can leave one seat in. I cut the frame tonight and will get a belt sander on it tomorrow and even it all light then put it all together.

It will have about 7 in on the back of my drawer that will not be able to come all the way out. I could only find 24 in drawer slides. And my drawer will be roughly 31 inches long. So I guess I'll have to deal with it unless someone has a better idea.

You could make the first 6 or 7 inches of the top lift up. But then when you have your cooler strapped down you wouldn't be able to lift it. You would also have to figure away to lock the top flap down cause I'm sure your drawer lock will be in the middle. Maybe more trouble than it is worth, just a thought.:meh:

So I'm done cutting and it's almost ready for paint. Going to be one slide out with two milk crates attached to the slide out. I will also have eye hooks inside the cabinet against the left side to hold a first aid bag and jumper cables.

The back will also open and there will be no door on the front. It will close and latch with door latches. Some pics.

image-887817458.jpg

image-1645817500.jpg

image-4009391532.jpg

image-887817458.jpg

image-1645817500.jpg

image-4009391532.jpg

Blacked out.

image-1593273622.jpg

image-1593273622.jpg

Painted the other side tonight and will assemble this week. Almost done.

Finally done. It took forever to line up the slides correctly. All in all it's not to bad I think considering I never took shop or another and had to buy all the tools as I went. Some cuts aren't quite straight but that's because I used a jigsaw for every cut. A power saw would have made worlds of difference in hindsight.

image-2559828881.jpg

image-3473145719.jpg

I used cable ties to attach it to the frame.

image-2075758352.jpg

I also used wood screw and large washers to secure the milk crates.

image-3154940513.jpg

So all in all, not to shabby and pretty simple. Roughly $60 in parts and all excluding tools and I have a pretty simple yet effective drawer system!

image-2559828881.jpg

image-3473145719.jpg

image-3154940513.jpg

image-2075758352.jpg

Last edited:
Is it attached to the floor? If so how?

It is. The picture from inside the drawer from the rear shows where two metal cable ties that l used. I drilled two holes and ran the cable ties through them and under the attachment for the seats. Holds it pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom