Broken Links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was searching the FAQ and Tech Archives for information on installing rear disc brakes on my ‘72 fj40 and found a lot of links are broken and/or dead. Is there a group or person that can check, fix, or remove broken links?

I’m willing to help and send a list of the links that I’ve found no longer work but I don’t know how to check them and determine why they no longer work. For now, I’ll start printing the good links I need so I don’t loose those too

Most links have to be paid for now, it destroyed the internet :skull:
But it seems best if people upload directly to mud, free and a promise it will be there for ever.

Since the original link is scrambled to an abstract proxy line why not copy the original destination and insert that, hosted on mud?
Mud is now leaching on other websites upload and not giving credit (the original destination) to the original source (hoover/properties)
That is not easy for me as the "owner" of the original as I can not find where is comes from when I am trying to fix the images on mud.
for example, my last posted picture has a destination property:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hj60/download/file.php?id=2143
It seems I can find it :hmm: if I paste the link in a post? :cool:

but it showed like below:
IH8MUD Forum proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tapatalk.com%2Fgroups%2Fhj60%2 Fdownload%2Ffile.php %3Fid%3D2143&hash=231eb3ec9de0bcfa0687b9ce9af7d8f2

Had no idea where it originates but it seems the mud proxy redirects to the original, when I replace the original the mud proxy follows after some time so it is not hosted on mud territory.

Last edited:
I was searching the FAQ and Tech Archives for information on installing rear disc brakes on my ‘72 fj40 and found a lot of links are broken and/or dead. Is there a group or person that can check, fix, or remove broken links?

I can't control if external links work or not....domains change, hosting changes, etc....members have linked to 3rd party sites for images or content and those sites have begun charging.

It's always been free here. And as long as I own it (15+ years thus far), it will be.

Since the original link is scrambled to an abstract proxy line why not copy the original destination and insert that, hosted on mud?
Mud is now leaching on other websites upload and not giving credit (the original destination) to the original source (hoover/properties)
That is not easy for me as the "owner" of the original as I can not find where is comes from when I am trying to fix the images on mud.
for example, my last posted picture has a destination property:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hj60/download/file.php?id=2143
It seems I can find it :hmm: if I paste the link in a post? :cool:

but it showed like below:
IH8MUD Forum proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tapatalk.com%2Fgroups%2Fhj60%2 Fdownload%2Ffile.php %3Fid%3D2143&hash=231eb3ec9de0bcfa0687b9ce9af7d8f2

Tapatalk was a (crappy) mobile service....they screwed a lot of forums with their policies and software, and one of those messes was NOT TELLING forums that they switched image hosting to their own server, instead of keeping it native on the forum. One of a hundred reasons I dropped them years ago.

Don't get me started on Photobucket...never have and never will support 3rd party image hosting.

If your last posted photo was from tapatalk, then you haven't posted an image in a few years....like February 2015 :)

Woody, we all appreciate what you’ve done. I would NEVER have even attempted my FJ40 rebuild if mud wasn’t available. I realize domains and hosting service change. I was hoping that maybe some of the links simply needed to be update to point to the new url but realize that is a daunting and likely impossible task.

Someone put in a lot of time to create and organize the FAQ and archived tech sections. That work makes researching a topic easier for newbies like me. But do we just leave the broken links? Would it be useful/helpful to identify the broken links and remove them?

I don’t have as much experience working on FJ’s right now to offer much within the forum discussions. I’m a consumer of information right now (more like a thirsty sponge actually) and wanted to know if I could offer some help by identifying broken links on the FAQ section. If not, I’ll just continue to mumble under my breath when I hit another broken link

Donut, are you talking about photo links? or links to threads / pages? I was under the impression that you were referring to links to threads / pages that have gone astray and presumably can be fixed (with a fair bit of effort).

I realize domains and hosting service change. I was hoping that maybe some of the links simply needed to be update to point to the new url but realize that is a daunting and likely impossible task.

Those FAQ'a are managed by the individual forum moderator(s). Usually, that's also the thread starter. Perhaps message them directly to see how they want to proceed.

Donut, are you talking about photo links? or links to threads / pages? I was under the impression that you were referring to links to threads / pages that have gone astray and presumably can be fixed (with a fair bit of effort).

Just tried 10 or 12 random links in 60 and 40 FAQs, all seemed to work. I thought I had noticed before lots of dead links, but doesn't seem like it now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom