Bridgeston Revos v. BFG A/T and Caster with OME 861/862 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After much consideration, thought and chickening out the last tire purchase, I have defected from BFG A/T's to the Revo's to see how they are. I was going to 285/75/16 from 265/75/16 this time and still on the fence. The deciding factor was that America's tire company had the Revo's in stock. I managed to haggle a good deal, $869 out the door, plus I have a $100 mail in rebate.

So my initial impressions of the Revo's (LT E rated) vs. the BFG A/T (LT D rated). The revo rides much, much smoother. The tradeoff, is the steering is much softer; there is something to be said about a stiff sidewall for handling. No clue on rain or off road performance yet, but I am going up to the lost coast this weekend so will have some better feedback shortly.

I did have the truck aligned yesterday to find out I only have 1 degree of caster with the OME 861/862 springs and Bilsteins. I have assumed I was under spec with this setup as the truck wanders a little and needs mid turn steering corrections. I have ordered the OME caster correction bushings which provide 2 degrees of extra positive caster and will put the truck right back in the middle of the 2-4 degrees of stock caster. So if you have 861/862 low lift springs, be aware you may still need caster correction bushings.

It's odd that you say the 10 ply Revo has a softer feel than the 8 ply A/T....you'd surely think that stiffer sidewall would prove the opposite.

It's odd that you say the 10 ply Revo has a softer feel than the 8 ply A/T....you'd surely think that stiffer sidewall would prove the opposite.

Remember, ply numbers are an antiquated rating from the 50s. No modern L T tire is a 6, 8, or 10 ply. Load ratings tell you the weight capacity of a tire at full inflation, but the actual tire construction determines the ride. It is a function of carcas construction, belt material, number of belts, thickness of belts, and belt orientation. Take a look at the michelin ltx AT2 and you will find an E load tire with many complaints of a soft ride and virtually no steering feel.

Remember, ply numbers are an antiquated rating from the 50s. No modern L T tire is a 6, 8, or 10 ply. Load ratings tell you the weight capacity of a tire at full inflation, but the actual tire construction determines the ride. It is a function of carcas construction, belt material, number of belts, thickness of belts, and belt orientation. Take a look at the michelin ltx AT2 and you will find an E load tire with many complaints of a soft ride and virtually no steering feel.

Very true, most tires are just 2-3 plies on the sidewall. But one would assume (and I guess that is where the trouble starts) that a higher rated tire must have a stiffer sidewall to support the weight. Again, still seems odd...but thats what first hand experience is for, right?

Some pics and an update. Drove about 800 miles on a trip up to the lost coast. Rain the entire way back and they did much better than the BFG A/T. No pulling when hitting big puddles or the slightest hint of hydroplaning. Did some mild off roading and they worked fine.
IMG_9919.jpg
IMG_9921.jpg

I've got over 50K on mine, and still going strong.

We have twins!

lc-3.jpg

but your paint looks much better than mine :frown:

What else did the out the door price include? That's a very good price if it includes free balance/rotation and hazzard insurance.

Your 80 looks good with the 861/862 setup. I sometimes think that my 850/860 setup is a little too high for my needs.

The out the door price includes lifetime balance. I skipped the road hazard, just not worth the price.

I like the 861/862 combo, handles well with the Bilsteins. I have considered putting in 20mm spring packers, but really don't need them and should lift the spare tire first.

Revos

What can you say about the Revos, mine are now 9 years old 265/75 E Load Range with OME 861/862's, 81k on them and STILL 5/32" tread, they became loud as heck at about 75k on them and are dryrotted too. But what can you say about them at that mileage. Will most likely get them again in the near future in the 285 flavor this time around.

I paid $965 for my 4 285/75/16 Revos in 9/2008 at Firestone Tires, but it included free lifetime rotation and balance as well as road hazzard. I haven't used the road hazzard, but I've gotten 4 free tire rotations. I can't believe that I've put 37k miles in 25 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom