Breakdown of a classic Brown Jack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

After many months of playing around i have finally worked out how to pull apart the classic Brown Bottle Jack.

Its such a simple yet effective design !!

Steps are as follows:

1) Find a small 2mm diameter pin on the top cap of the brown jack. This can be really hard to see - removing paint may be necessary. This usually is completely flush with the cap. The cap rotates freely.

2) Drill this pin out - make sure not to touch the sides - i.e. only drill out the pin. Don't drill the actual cap. AND NOTE - don't go very deep - you only want to go about 4-5mm. You will feel it give once you drill through pin. You don't want to drill into the sleeve.

3) Now this is the REALLY COOL Part. There are actually 3 small Ball Bearings that hold the cap onto the sleeve. These Ball bearings are located partially (1/2) embedded into the jack sleeve and the other half into a routed groove in the center of the CAP. These are spaced evenly at 120 degrees.
You can see the through the pin hole - as you rotate the cap around.
They are surprisingly easy to remove - flush with WD40 and then gently tap the jack when the PIN HOLE is correctly aligned and they simply fall out. One at a time.
Once the third one is removed you will be able to lift off the cap.

4) with the cap removed you can fully remove the jack centre and sleeves.

5) after cleaning and greasing everything simply reverse the process and the re-insert a new pin or solder (again just don't go too deep to hit the sleeve).

All the best and good luck !

That is the jack on my '79. Good info and thanks for the photos.

No problems Doug, they are a solid and reliable jack for sure.

Definitely recommend opening up the base and regreasing - there are some ball bearings in the base that really benefit from a regrease and to help stop any rust.
All the best

I recently got an 80 series which has the brown jack. The instructions above were great to get the cap off, but I’m struggling to figure out how to get the outer sleeve off and the centre of the jack out to inspect what is going on jack. When I screw mine up only the centre extends & it doesn’t telescope up to its potential full height. The outer sleeve can be easily pulled up and down by hand, so I figure something is not properly aligned or broken in the bottom.

It doesn’t look MustardBJ42 has been around recently but if anybody else has some ideas, that would be great.

98DD012F-33DE-40CE-A573-010BDFD0F73D.jpeg

6A80D908-1129-4ACE-838F-1102FF5C2167.jpeg

05032CAC-3BE3-41BF-94F2-C00A40B8C6C9.jpeg

F91C5C8F-F7EA-4C53-AE56-60C8418D0DF2.jpeg

0606EEA5-E458-412F-B529-EDFF254E7B04.jpeg

Hi, Glad too see this post, I’ve got two jacks that won’t go up . I’ll work on them when it rains. Mike

I recently got an 80 series which has the brown jack. The instructions above were great to get the cap off, but I’m struggling to figure out how to get the outer sleeve off and the centre of the jack out to inspect what is going on jack. When I screw mine up only the centre extends & it doesn’t telescope up to its potential full height. The outer sleeve can be easily pulled up and down by hand, so I figure something is not properly aligned or broken in the bottom.

It doesn’t look MustardBJ42 has been around recently but if anybody else has some ideas, that would be great.

View attachment 2715786

View attachment 2715788

View attachment 2715789

View attachment 2715790

View attachment 2715791

The base of the jack has to be separated from the jack housing in order to remove the internals. The base is attached at the 4 holes. You could drill out the attachments, but re-attaching would be a problem. Since the bottom of the base is flat, using screws or bolts to re-attach won't work. Your jack is somewhat later than MustartBJ42's, and is not designed to be serviced.

You may be able to free up the jack without taking it apart. In order for the outer sleeve to extend, the inner section must be fully raised. Usually extension/retraction problems are caused by rust or solidified grease/dirt on the threads in the lift column. Now that the cap is off, try applying heat to the threaded sections and/or repeated treatment with PB Blaster or something similar. Use a lug wrench, long screwdriver or bar in the jack crank to work the jack up and down at the point where it is stuck.

The base of the jack has to be separated from the jack housing in order to remove the internals. The base is attached at the 4 holes. You could drill out the attachments, but re-attaching would be a problem. Since the bottom of the base is flat, using screws or bolts to re-attach won't work. Your jack is somewhat later than MustartBJ42's, and is not designed to be serviced.

You may be able to free up the jack without taking it apart. In order for the outer sleeve to extend, the inner section must be fully raised. Usually extension/retraction problems are caused by rust or solidified grease/dirt on the threads in the lift column. Now that the cap is off, try applying heat to the threaded sections and/or repeated treatment with PB Blaster or something similar. Use a lug wrench, long screwdriver or bar in the jack crank to work the jack up and down at the point where it is stuck.
Thanks mate I’ll give that a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom