Breakaway brakes worth fixing or just delete? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 1999 wells cargo 8x20 cargo/car hauler, will be using it to move household goods and shop stuff, Just went through the brakes and bearings, electric brakes work good,

next is wiring, it has the original battery and it is dead, the breakaway switch looks bad also, to get a working breakaway system I would need to replace both, I am seriously considering deleting the breakaway it would clean up the wiring and give me more space on the tounge to mount a tool box and spare tire, I think they are required at this GVW (7k#'s) but is there actually any enforcement? I have already registered it, no questions asked and no inspection.

Last edited:
It's a safety device. From a liability standpoint, what would happen if something went wrong and it was found out you defeated a safety device? Only you can decide if the cost of repair outweighs the liability risk potential.

Brian's right. It's required, why eliminate it? You can replace the components for less than $50. Don't likr the location, move it. It can go most anywhere up there, even in the box if it's not sealed.

Trailer Parts Superstore - 'Engager' Electric Break-Away Kit w/LED Meter

Testing of the breakaway system is required in a state inspection here. The breakaway system is required if the trailer has brakes. Ever been DOT'ed? The fine for this not working is probably in the $200-300 range. Do not give these guys a reason to start writing you up...once they put pen to paper that will not be the only fine. I have seen fines on trailers exceed $1k for just a routine stop. Is it worth eliminating? Only you can decide that, but I vote no.

Mitch

I agree.... it's a minimal cost, it's the law, and it may save your butt in court if the trailer ever gets completely uncoupled on the freeway.

Can you imagine the look of glee in the prosecuting attorney's eyes as he grills you on why you threw away mandated safety equipment and thus killed a famiiy of six in a minivan?

It's a dumb move for many reasons... please don't do it.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Also agree on keeping it.. its a great thing to have just for peace of mind with a trailer that big.. Also,, you will have trailer inspection eventually.. Its going all 50 states on trailers over 3k #'s. Has to do with the amount of accidents due to faulty equipment and not all states having the same standards.. If I remember where I saw the info online I'll link to it.. Also you will notice all the extra reflective tape on bigger trailers and seems like more lighting on them in the last few years.. Its all wrapped up together.. All north American from Mexico to Canada will have the same lighting and safety req. on all trailers commercial and private over 3K#'s(or 3500#'s?) Pa is now enforcing the lighting and brake issues.. my co. had to do alot of work on our zimmerman flatbed trailers to bring them to specs this last run of insp..
Good luck..
Steve

New riding mower battery (fits the tray) new breakaway cable and wiring done, Need to go back and rework some of it after I can find a terminal strip, soldered for now, breakaway brakes complete present and working.

Unfortunately no where to put a tool box, oh well, got room inside, spare should still fit on the tung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom