Brake Pad Rattle after installing Power Stop pads and rotors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone come across this issue with the Power Stop pads and rotors? See how the pad on the right has a "lip" of unworn material? I installed new slotted and drilled rotors about 6 weeks ago but have been hearing a rattling sound coming from the front driver side. I initially thought it was a bad CV axle. This past weekend, i took the pads out and noticed the "lip". I also checked the passenger side but everything was kosher on that side. I also swapped pads and retaining hardware from both sides to see if the noise would would go away/subside. It seems to be less frequent now but its still happening. Just thought i'd post this up in case anyone has come across this issue before.
20150829_091410.jpg

I want to update this post for anyone that may come across this issue. I've been chasing a front end shimmy while at speed and braking on our GX. Over the last few weeks, i replaced the front control arms (including ball joints), inner tie rod ends and had the tires balanced and rotated. The shimmy at speed disappeared but still persists when braking. I didn't think it could be the rotors because they were replaced less than 20k miles ago. Anyway, this weekend i put a dial indicator on the rotors and found the driver side rotor to be warped about 0.010". The passenger side was warped about 0.002". The outermost pads both had the "lip" which now i realize is from inadequate surface for the pads to act on. I feel the power stop rotors should have a little more surface area for the outer pads to act on. I also feel this is why my rotors warped with less than 20k miles.

I bought house brand rotors from Advanced Auto and you can see in the pic below they have more machined area vs the power stop rotors. The shimmy while braking is now gone. I hope these rotors will last longer than 20k miles.

20171014_104056.jpg

20171014_102841.jpg

Last edited:
Crazy- are the slotted rotors from PowerStop? Do both rotors have an undersized machined diameter?

Yes, the slotted rotors are from PowerStop. If i remember right, i got them in a kit from Autoanything (front and rear pads and rotors). Both rotors seemed to have the same undersized machined area. I'll check them again tonight and report back if they are different. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom