Brake judder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99 Lexus LX470 (135K miles) and plagued with brake judder (feel it through the steering more than the pedal)

To date I have replaced:
Front Rotors,
Front Wheel Bearings
Front Calipers and Pads
Flexible Brake Hoses (Front & Rear)
Rear Pads
Complete Fluid Flush/Replacement (with vacuum bleeder)

I have a really solid pedal after the fluid flush/bleed - but STILL have the juddering brakes after everything else
The only 'hard' components not replaced are the rear rotors - but it doesn't 'feel' like coming from the rear.
Don't feel it with very gentle braking, either the faster the speed, or firmer the push on the pedal, the worse it is.

I have NO ABS warning lights, but beginning to wonder if it is the sensors - it really does feel like they are grabbing and letting go.

I don't recall specifically but am fairly sure I would have cleaned at least the pulsar rings when replacing the rotors/bearings - but conversely probably did NOT look to cleaning the sensors themselves. I have owned this from new and done all maintenance myself so KNOW these have never been looked at before.

To test if it is the ABS, if I pull the fuse, will it disable the ABS system and give un-assisted braking to see if that is the issue?
(I saw that on reference to 80 series, just checking to see if same for the 100)
That should be acid-test right? If no shudder, it's coming from the ABS system.

I did find excellent post on replacing the sensors if necessary - Abs sensor question
And they seem inexpensive enough - only difficulty (or more just added work really) is if they are seized in there and need to remove the hubs again to get them out.
Been through that already however so if needs must, so be it.
If the hubs need to come off to even clean them (if they won't come out), with that much work involved, I would probably go ahead and replace at that point

Comments on likelihood of the ABS sensors being the issue, as well as other suggestions will be mist appreciated

Thank you for suggestion - no I would say this is no worse downhill and already quite prevalent on the flat.

For me, it was a warped rear disc, which I suspected was caused by a dragging pad. My case was much more pronounced during the last 20 to 40 feet of braking.

EDIT: It didn't feel like the pulsing was coming from the rear. Like you, it mostly presented through the steering wheel.

Id start looking at your steering linkages, inner and outer tie rods & rack bushings. Thats what it sounds like to me. Steering wheel will go all over the place under hard braking with loose steering components.

Thank you also -

If control arm bushings, wouldn't you feel this other than braking?
And I would be able to check/feel that just by getting wheel off ground and trying to rock wheel?

When going quite slow and with gentle pressure you can feel it gripping/releasing which is what was leading me to the ABS

My earlier thought was well, the rear rotors are only thing left ........
I wish I had clamped the old hoses on rear with vize grips prior to replacing with new steel lines - that would have been good elimination of rear.
It kinda really feels front related though

How do I temporarily disable the ABS just for test?
Pull main 60A fuse or Relay or ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom