Brake Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for recommendations for a brake controller for my 2020 LC HE

This. X2
Search my posts for various contributions on install threads

I fourth the Redarc. I have the Tekonsha P3 and would do the Redarc if starting over.

Looking for recommendations for a brake controller for my 2020 LC HE
Me too! Just ordered one for my 2020 HE.
I ordered direct from Redarc. No ship or tax. Plus a swag shirt.
Get the dash blank if that’s where you are mounting it.

Me too! Just ordered one for my 2020 HE.
I ordered direct from Redarc. No ship or tax. Plus a swag shirt.
Get the dash blank if that’s where you are mounting it.

Wish I would have known that. I paid $17 in tax and no shirt :(

Check out the CURT ECHO... Bluetooth is pretty sweet and no drilling. Mobile device becomes your brake controller.

Check out the CURT ECHO... Bluetooth is pretty sweet and no drilling. Mobile device becomes your brake controller.

My friend in Colorado just bought a teardrop kinda off-road trailer and has that Curt wireless controller. I don’t think he has used it yet. Personally I would rather have something to physically squeeze, twist or push. If your phone does not have that app open it may be hard to access quickly. I believe the Redarc has an off-road manual type mode but I’m not clear when that would be used. I’ll find out! I want the ability to manually engage the trailer brakes to test operation and adjustment without pressing the vehicle brakes. I even practice the motion of engaging trailer brakes only. It is my emergency parachute if trailer sway begins!

My friend in Colorado just bought a teardrop kinda off-road trailer and has that Curt wireless controller. I don’t think he has used it yet. Personally I would rather have something to physically squeeze, twist or push. If your phone does not have that app open it may be hard to access quickly. I believe the Redarc has an off-road manual type mode but I’m not clear when that would be used. I’ll find out! I want the ability to manually engage the trailer brakes to test operation and adjustment without pressing the vehicle brakes. I even practice the motion of engaging trailer brakes only. It is my emergency parachute if trailer sway begins!
I guess it comes back to what we're use to. Those that have to have a knob will get a knob. Those that are use to flat screens are going to go the Bluetooth route. Some argue that they don't want to tie up their mobile device for the application the entire time they are on the road. The Curt allows you to save your settings and run those settings while you might need to use your phone. I'm Old School to a degree, if I don't need to punch holes in my dash, I like that you can plug&play the Curt, add to the system's memory and you are off.

I really like the REDARC Elite and believe I was first to mention it here on MUD, and was this close to pulling the trigger on one until the Echo hit the market. You can't take the REDARC with you to another prime mover.

Regarding the Redarc Elite, which one do I get? I see two models for Toyota.

I got the following from eTrailer.com and installed it myself:

331-EBRH-ACCV2Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional
331-TPSI-002Mounting Panel for Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller Control Knob

331-EBRH-ACCV2Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional
331-TPSI-002Mounting Panel for Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller Control Knob

Thank you!!

Forgot to add, I ordered this set.

I also use the Curt Echo unit. It is well worth noting (and said already) that the controller works even when you're phone is not connected to it. The phone is only used to change settings or apply the trailer brakes manually. Lost/damaged/broken phone? It will still work fine, you just can't make adjustments until you secure a new device to connect to the Curt unit again via BT.

A major benefit of the Curt unit is that a separate trailer brake output wire doesn't need to be used, nor does connection to a "vehicle brake light" wire. It can also be swapped from rig to rig, trailer to trailer with ease since it just plugs in between the rig and trailer 7 pin connectors.

I also use the Curt Echo unit. It is well worth noting (and said already) that the controller works even when you're phone is not connected to it. The phone is only used to change settings or apply the trailer brakes manually. Lost/damaged/broken phone? It will still work fine, you just can't make adjustments until you secure a new device to connect to the Curt unit again via BT.

A major benefit of the Curt unit is that a separate trailer brake output wire doesn't need to be used, nor does connection to a "vehicle brake light" wire. It can also be swapped from rig to rig, trailer to trailer with ease since it just plugs in between the rig and trailer 7 pin connectors.
Admittedly, I don't like the idea of a phone operated trailer brake system. However, this would be the deal killer for me: "The phone is only used to... apply the trailer brakes manually."

In a sway situation or emergency, you need immmediate access to that feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom