Bottle Jack Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1981 FJ40 with what seems to be the original screw type bottle jack. It had rusted into the open position in my truck so I had to take out the mounting bracket to get it out and then use PB Blaster and a vice to assist the gears to crank back down. I decided to take it apart and grease it up. I put it back to together the exact way it came it apart, but now the screw doesn't turn at all. The internal gear seems to be stuck to the inner shaft casing. Any ideas? Or any websites with schematic diagrams on how these types of jacks go together and come apart?

Thank you.

I just came across this old post. I'm getting ready to take a similar 1979 jack apart. Did you ever figure out why the screw would not turn after you reassembled it?

Subzali

Thanks for the link. I found it several weeks ago about the time I posted my question. In any event I went ahead and took it apart - cleaned the innards, removed the rust and repainted the innards then reassembled it and painted the exterior. I didn't encounter the problem cruiser 7 had.

FYI - for anyone getting ready to take one of these apart. To be safe do it in/over a container. There are 19 small ball-bearing in the base of the jack that you don't want to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom