Bolt size help please? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I dove into some work last year and took the part front end of the 60 off to make accessing the ac clutch easier.

Then when the weather got cold,I didn't' want to work outside, and I've never gotten back to it.(Covid destroyed My motivation) I"m sure I have all the bolts in baggies, but I'm
paying a mobile mechanic to put it back together for me while he's fixing my AC system, that I also don't have the energy to work on at the moment
*(I'm 9 days post a major surgery, and decided to throw money at it to get it semi drive-able again, so I can enjoy it when i get better, AC fix + put all that stuff back on).

I don't want to make the poor guy dig through boxes full of crap for baggies of poorly labeled bolts, so I wanted to be sure to have all the bolt I needed for the job at hand brand new .

I have a nice JIS flange Bolt assortment, and I bought some extra shorter ones for the body parts already *(20 or 25 mm?), But I'm sure there are some bolts not included..

The one I know or sure I don't have are the bumper bolts to frame bolts, as I cut those off to get it out..

Could anyone help me figure out what bolts to have on hand? The Fj40 group had a spread sheet of all the bolt locations and sizes, is there something like that?

Things I took off.

Headlight surrounds,
Corner lights
Grill
lower valence
left and right battery tray.
Rad (Which i reinstalled already to winterize it)
OEM bumper
Huge grill guard that bolted over the OEM bumper.
Winch (Which I totally get you guy can't help with, I'm just a completion-ist)

Any Assistance is greatly appreciated.

A box of M8x1.25 bolts of medium length will pretty much take care of all body bolts. There aren’t that many big bolts needed on your list so pawing through your unlabeled baggies of removed bolts is a reasonable option.
If new bolts are going to be used for the winch, using Grade 8 is a good choice. Same with bumper.

I'd measure mine but the PO bolted my front end on with random sizes found under his couch. There are some handy bolt kits from Cruiser Corp: 60 Series Shop All - https://cruisercorps.com/collections/60-series-shop-all/bolt-kits?sort_by=best-selling

This OEM parts diagram has some parts ##s that you could back track to a size: RADIATOR GRILLE. 1986 toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota - https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_1986_Land-Cruiser-42L-MT/_65510_6727257/RADIATOR-GRILLE/791420-5351.html You could probably source most of them by poking around the different diagrams there even if most of it is NLA direct.

i would start with all these in your kit before you begin re-assy .........

221004998454_01425 - Copy (2)_LI.jpg

caf93405-06020 (1).jpg

1651304813080.png

1651305021647.png

1651305075353.png

1651305134814.png

1651305165180.png

1651305253283.png

1651305265910.png

1651305405273.png

Anyone know the size of the Bumper Bolts?
Matt, i dont' see bumper bolts in that stack, i'd need it all by thurs

OK, several disclaimers here: I don't have callipers to measure accurately; my front bumper is not original.
The bolts on the front bumper of mine are blind dome top and about 35mm long, but there is heaps of clearance underneath, so a longer (or slightly shorter) bolt will be fine.
The nut on my bolt is a 14mm.
I have no way of measuring the thread, but it shouldn't matter as long and the bolt and nut are the same of course.

I hope this is of some help to you.

If you have an aftermarket bumper, which it sounds like you do since you have a winch, then you aren't using factory bumper bolts. Factory bumper bolts are chromed carriage bolts and should still be available from your dealer.

A bolt that uses a 14mm socket is an M10 bolt. Most likely M10x1.25.

It's a big bumper guard that bolts onto the OEM bumper, Proabbaly going to just weld up a bumper for it eventually,

Thanks a ton for the bumper bolt info, y'all that was perfect! Got them on order, paying to much for shipping , of course :)

Last one I think, anyone know the size of the little screw bolts for the headlight surrounds?

I can't find that baggie yet and may need to run to the bolt shop in the am.

Thanks a ton again!

Last edited:
We got everything but the headlight bezels on, and those are screws (which arrived tonight).

Thanks for all the help Everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom