Body mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there anything special needed to make a body mount?
Any special type of rubber? Does it have to be a sandwich type mount like the stock mounts?
I have as set of the poly bushings for the 40 from energy suspension, but the rig has been so customized that it not an easy task... Of course.

I guess what I was wondering is if I could just get a puck of sorts and run it that way?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Howdy Chiago, dude ur build is sick, keep up the work hoss. When I did my 40, i bought a poly stick/rod online, cut it to the height i needed and drilled holes in them for mounting, worked out nice. They are stiffer than rubber, but they also don't really rot out like rubber does. This was years ago, so I don't recall what density or where I bought it from. My 2cents...hehe

~Yo Han

Is there anything special needed to make a body mount?
Any special type of rubber? Does it have to be a sandwich type mount like the stock mounts?
I have as set of the poly bushings for the 40 from energy suspension, but the rig has been so customized that it not an easy task... Of course.

I guess what I was wondering is if I could just get a puck of sorts and run it that way?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Yo_Han said:
Howdy Chiago, dude ur build is sick, keep up the work hoss. When I did my 40, i bought a poly stick/rod online, cut it to the height i needed and drilled holes in them for mounting, worked out nice. They are stiffer than rubber, but they also don't really rot out like rubber does. This was years ago, so I don't recall what density or where I bought it from. My 2cents...hehe

~Yo Han

Thanks for the props man!
So you essentially just used a "puck" for body mount then. I think I could get a poly stick/ tube like you are describing from mcmaster Carr.

Anyone have any input as to how the stock body mounts are configured? Advantages? Does it really matter?

Thanks for the input!

...So you essentially just used a "puck" for body mount then...

Thats correct... I just cut them to the height I needed. Keep up the nice work on the crusher!

Another option is the rubber rollers used for boat trailers just cut the roller down into disc's the hieght you need they already have holes in them for the bolts.

I ended up using a rubber with plates vulcanised to it. The plates have nuts welded on the inside, works oke for me and easy to get and to replace when worn. I planed on using range rover mounts but they where more expensive and harder to get.:hillbilly:

I used boat rollers on bob :)

I ended up using a rubber with plates vulcanised to it. The plates have nuts welded on the inside, works oke for me and easy to get and to replace when worn. I planed on using range rover mounts but they where more expensive and harder to get.:hillbilly:

The mounts I got from the Energy suspension kit are similar to what you describe, but the plates are not molded into the rubber.

I used boat rollers on bob :)

Did you happen to get any shots of how you mounted it? The spot that Im looking at mounting is right at the rear of the tub, where the rear quarter panel makes the bend. When I rebuilt the rear sill and tail gate frame I used some 1x2 square tube, 1/8 in wall. Im thinking that I could weld an"L" bracket on that, and make a bracket off the frame so I can nut the bolt.
Im just not sure how complex of basic something like this needs to be? It really only to provide to dampening, right? Its not like a soooper critical component or anything, especially TWO at the rear of the rig?

Thanks for all the input!

it only needs to be basic. I'll snap a pic this afternoon

Mace said:
it only needs to be basic. I'll snap a pic this afternoon

Cool! Id appreciate it!

Here is what I ended up doing for the rear mount....
Just used the bushings that came in the kit that I got as well as the hardware.
Came out pretty good I think. It was easier than I thought it would be once I figured out what scrap I could use and how much I had laying around.:hillbilly:
069.JPG
070.JPG
071.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom